Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Edlebrock or Skunk2 intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Edlebrock or Skunk2 intake manifold?

Hey guys just curious. Which would you buy, and why? I'm looking at getting a new intake manifold soon and I've heard good things about both. Just looking for opinions.

I have 95' b18c gsr.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Edlebrock or Skunk2 intake manifold? (SpyderZEX)

its been beaten to death.... Edlebrock if you are boosting... and skunk2 for N/A...
Old 08-21-2003, 09:33 AM

Default Re: Edlebrock or Skunk2 intake manifold? (Mr. CRUZ!!!)

You right..... I was in a hurry and I didn't take the time to search. So doom on me. Sorry guys my bad.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:02 AM

Default Re: Edlebrock or Skunk2 intake manifold? (Mr. CRUZ!!!)

I am assuming that this is speaking about the intake manifolds for the D16Y8 engines. I strongly disagree with Mr. CRUZ if he is saying that the Edelbrock Performer X IM is good for turbo applications but not NA. The Performer X was designed for NA applications and all of the testing was done NA before it was tested for a turbo application.

With regard to IM designs, a good NA IM will typically work well on a turbo engine. A properly designed IM will improve volumetric efficiency regardless of the density of the charge. A turbocharged engine can use an IM designed for top-end only engine speeds and still feel like it has good low to mid range power if the is enough boost at those engine speeds. If the tires are spinning you have an excess of power. But if you look at turbocharged racing classes that are boost pressure limited, you will see that the intake manifolds are always designed to provide the best VE and thus the best power.

The same is true with turbocharger exhaust manifolds. If packaging does not force a compromise, a turbo EM will look like a header designed for the desired engine speed operating band.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Edlebrock or Skunk2 intake manifold? (enginjim)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by enginjim &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am assuming that this is speaking about the intake manifolds for the D16Y8 engines.</TD></TR></TABLE>

While I appreciate the help, I am talking about a B18C1. I have since done a relatively extensive search and found some answers to what I will be looking for.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Edlebrock or Skunk2 intake manifold? (SpyderZEX)

i saw an article in some tuner magazine last night that put a skunk2 im on a gsr. peak gain was like around 15 horsepower, but it was at like 8500 rpm. low end didnt loose much, but it only gained like 1.3 hp up until well into vtec. the article also said that if they continued up to the redline it woulda made like 20+ horses over stock, but the engine was modded with cams and other bolt-ons. hope that helped
Old 08-21-2003, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Edlebrock or Skunk2 intake manifold? (blackeg)

I agree with Enjinjim.
the idea of the Edelbrock Victor X manifold being <U>only</U> for FI applications is a MYTH.
We have built motors and know of others that use the Edelbrock manifold for N/A applications and they work real well.

The skunk2 is a good piece but I think its pretty much a copy of the ITR manifold. The Victor X and Performer X manifolds are highly designed pieces that utilize its own design.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:20 PM

edelbrock :tup: