Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ECU QUESTION! HELP ME PLEASE! IM YOUNG AND DUMB!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU QUESTION! HELP ME PLEASE! IM YOUNG AND DUMB!!

ok well im not really dumb, but slightly confused-
I recently purchased a '93 Honda Civic Ex and im a bit confused by what kind of ECU it has

ok heres the specs- '93, Honda Civic Ex, automatic transmission, D16Z6 engine...
but does it have a P28? or is it a P08? every site i look at says that Ex/Si's with D16Z6's have P28's- but then they say that SOHC VTEC Civic's with AUTOMATIC transmissions have P08... but then they say that the P08 is for D15B engines!!

any help would be HIGHLY appreciated- i plan on getting a chip for the ECU and i need to know what all will be compatible with my car...

BTW- the car is CURRENTLY stock- besides a 6cd changer that the previous owner installed... lets see the cd changer adds a whopping ZERO horsepower and about 7lbs of dead weight... and I cant get the stupid thing to work anyways- so its gettin taken out- but I plan on getting a chip for the ECU, a high-flow catalyst, some headers, an intake system of some sort (aka whatever my grocery store paycheck can get me), a better intake manifold, high-flow fuel rail, high-flow injectors, some performance plugs and wires... (and I'm keepin the body mods that the previous owner put on it - AKA: the dent on the rear driver's side fender)
and eventually I'll get some suspension stuff- but for now I plan on making it a sleeper, but if the car lasts me long enough and if i ever have the money I'd like to put in an H22A or an H23 and make it into an all motor sleeper- just to prove that not all honda's need forced induction to be fast... and I better stop talking now or I'll never stop- I have that problem, I think its got something to do with the ADD...
Old 03-23-2004, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ECU QUESTION! HELP ME PLEASE! IM YOUNG AND DUMB!! (MugenHonduhCivicEx)

dude.. just pull the pass carpet back and take the ecu out.. the numbers are on the side..
Old 03-23-2004, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ECU QUESTION! HELP ME PLEASE! IM YOUNG AND DUMB!! (redlinetuning)

Also take your time to look around and search. Your asking to get flamed with a topic post like that. But yeah I second that, pull up carpet and look at ecu. Dont take this as a bash, but as advice..
Old 03-23-2004, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What would you do with more than one header? i don't get it?
Old 03-23-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Re: ECU QUESTION! HELP ME PLEASE! IM YOUNG AND DUMB!! (redlinetuning)

ok maybe I am dumb... i never thought of that... screw this U.S. history report, I'm goin to go check what kind of ECU my car has- and then ill work on this book report for the book I never read... history is so boring... and english... and even metalworking currently- woohoo making tap wrenches... theres more interesting things to do with metal but we're making friggin tap wrenches...

and oh yeah- thanks for the help... now I feel stupid for even asking, shoulda just checked in the first place...

another question! (for those who care) - ummm... took off my valve cover a couple days ago to adjust the clearances and stuff... and there was a puddle of oil on the left side of the engine (toward cylinder #4), and there was a BUNCH of oil in the spark plug tube thingymobobber, and once the valve clearances were adjusted the chatter was practically gone but there was still a little bit of chattering that seemed to be coming from #4... - is something plugged or is a seal bad or what?

if any of you have had/fixed this problem and/or know what it is and what I'd need to do to fix it any help would be highly appreciated
Old 03-23-2004, 04:01 PM

Default Re: (mattssi)

header = headers, you say tomato i say it like its a tomaatoe, I say headers cause thats just how I say it, get used to it or ill have to... uhh... use my insane knowledge of the force to mind trick you into giving me your car! -now that would be a good trick-
but since I cant use the force and since I am dumb in the first place I'll... uhh... zone out so you have to repeat yourself...
Old 03-23-2004, 04:40 PM

Odds R, it's a P28. I have a '93 DelSolSi auto. It came w/the P28
Old 03-24-2004, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: ECU QUESTION! HELP ME PLEASE! IM YOUNG AND DUMB!! (MugenHonduhCivicEx)

Interesting how you can do a valve adjustment job but can't manage to pull back some carpet to check what ECU you have.

Anyway, having oil IN the spark plug tube isn't a good thing....
Old 03-24-2004, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

its an automatic p28 ecu. Oh and if you are going with an h22 or h23 i hope to god that you will do a manual conversion because you are still going to be slow with an auto.