Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ecu question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ecu question.

Im looking for an ecu, and I was wondering do you have to get an ecu made for your exact model? I know you gotta stay in the gen range and stuff but, I have a 97 civic hx, so do I have to have an ecu for that particualr motor for it to work properly?

The reason im asking is because my car was converted from automatic to standard, by the previous owner...and it wouldnt pass inspection because of a check engine error. My dad went to try and get it fixed cause I was about to sell it to my brother, and they said it was because my computer and replaced it...When I drove it after they replaced it I noticed that that when I got into higher rpms, I felt resistance as if there were a govener on my damn rpms. It slowly went into higher rpms but not as quick as it use to. Major power loss. I think they may have put an automatic transmission ecu in it? I have no Idea all i know is they replaced it and the performance sucked after that. If anyone has any idea what this may be please feel free to comment. Thnx for the help
-Ricky
Old 11-16-2006, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ecu question. (RickyBizee)

what ecu and what motor do you have?
Old 11-16-2006, 08:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Ecu question. (e jay one)

Dig out the ecu behind the passenger kick pannel and look at the codes on it. That should tell you what your working with. I assume you have the Hx engine still?
If you want any performance you should really consider swapping it out for something like a D16 or the like. the Hx isnt meant for performance by any means.

But yes you need an ecu for the same model, but not necessarily the same year. Any 96-2000 ecu should work for a manual Hx should work.

Modified by Djaric at 12:27 AM 11/17/2006
Old 11-17-2006, 07:35 AM

Default Re: Ecu question. (Djaric)

Yes I do still have the hx engine, Im not really looking for performance, I mainly use this forum to help out with mechanical problems, but I dont want my car to run under its abilities either. I mean I know my engine is not fast, but I would like it to run like its suppose to. Ok Im gonna try this out, the things that Im seeing on the ecu are this.

37820-P2E-L82
243-213076 then over to the right there is "UG"
Old 11-17-2006, 07:39 AM

Default Re: Ecu question. (RickyBizee)

im changing an ecu also anything special i need to know about
Old 11-17-2006, 07:57 AM

Ok So I have a P2E ecu in my hx, however I was looking online and saw some ecu lists for vehicles and it looks like IM suppose to have a P2N....also are there different ones for automatic and standard? bcause when I was looking at these lists I didnt see any that said hx auto hx manual, there was just one ecu for engine type.
Old 11-17-2006, 09:24 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (RickyBizee)

wow alot of people dont know there shyyyyt

you were throwing a code because...........the guy that swapped the 5spd in needed to get a manual ecu or it would throw a check engine code which you have, so all you had to do was run out and get an hx manual ecu.........and you passed smog, but you had to do it the stupid way and get another auto civic hx ecu..........................the people here cant help you becuase they dont know

anyways, dont worry you didnt *** up quite yet, you can convert the ecu to a 5spd, just unsolder a certain resister and resolder in a different slot, but i wouldnt trust you to that becuase you seem inexperienced, so id go to honda market place and look for a 5spd ecu for an hx, an ex one would not yield performmance gains nor it a good idea to put in your car itll run like shyyt

get an hx ecu 5spd thats it problem solved
Old 11-17-2006, 09:26 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Ecu question. (p.c.p)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by p.c.p &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">im changing an ecu also anything special i need to know about</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya, get the right one for your car, engine layput, ur in riverside hit me up im in murrieta, if you need an ecu

im not even going to tell ya about chipping your ecu, chances are youd half **** your smog inspection and come here and bitch at me
Old 11-17-2006, 05:42 PM

Default Re: (spork motorsports)

Hahah I figured it was that simple, but then again sometimes things arent just THAT simple...I just wanted to know before I went out and bought another ecu....and I didnt get another auto ecu, the freakin mechanics that "Tried" to fix my car did it and actually fucked it up worse! From what I was looking at the ecu they gave me actually goes to a civic DX! However i've been searching for a manual ecu for an hx at local junk yards, and they are hard to come by, no one has em, and even if they did they wouldnt know. they think o sure we have a 97 civic ecu....anyway. I might actually be able to pull the soldering off, IM good with electronics, just suck at mechanical stuff, I install car audio for a living, and have been building my own computers for 5 years now. But that wouldnt do now since I have a freakin dx ecu. Ill go check out the marketplace...thnx so much for the help man.
Old 11-19-2006, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spork motorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spork motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow alot of people dont know there shyyyyt

you were throwing a code because...........the guy that swapped the 5spd in needed to get a manual ecu or it would throw a check engine code which you have, so all you had to do was run out and get an hx manual ecu.........and you passed smog, but you had to do it the stupid way and get another auto civic hx ecu..........................the people here cant help you becuase they dont know

anyways, dont worry you didnt *** up quite yet, you can convert the ecu to a 5spd, just unsolder a certain resister and resolder in a different slot, but i wouldnt trust you to that becuase you seem inexperienced, so id go to honda market place and look for a 5spd ecu for an hx, an ex one would not yield performmance gains nor it a good idea to put in your car itll run like shyyt

get an hx ecu 5spd thats it problem solved</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your an inspiration to everyone.