Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ECU is fried??? How?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU is fried??? How?

Alright so for a while i've felt that the car wasn't runningcorrectly and the idle was all over the place...

now i start the car and 2 seconds after it shuts off with a check engine light in the dash.

The ECU smells like its burnt (smell of smoke) so im guessing its fried.

I have a JDM b16a in my EK with an OBD1 conversion. I was using a chipped P28.

What could hae caused this? a short in the wiring harness? i don't get it how does it happen?

And can i run another P28 and place the se chip from my old ECU into a new P28?

thanks guys i really need some answers
Old 07-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: ECU is fried??? How?

im guess it wasnt chipped properly.
yes you can get another p28 but i wouldnt risk it, i would just start over from stratch and toss the old ecu...
but i would pull the ecu out and try it in another car if thats an option, that would tell almost for sure if the ecu is gone.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:27 PM

have you taken the ecu cover off to check it all out? As long as you have another chipped p28, chipped p72, chipped p06 converted to p28 then yes the chip will work. it will also work in other chipped honda ecu's. More than likely there was a ground that touched somewhere throughout the car that caused it to fry.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by 98civdx
im guess it wasnt chipped properly.

but i would pull the ecu out and try it in another car if thats an option, that would tell almost for sure if the ecu is gone.
x2... check it before doing anything with it.
Old 07-23-2009, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i did oen it up but i have no idea what to look for... i can pull it no problem but i can't really put it in another car since i don't know anyone who has a b16 lol i guess i can put it in my d16y7 to see if it starts at least? and if it doens't then that means the ECU is finished correct?

i can get another ECU but what are the chances that a wire grounded out when i only started the car... didn't even move it started and 1 second later it shut off...

Its possible that it wasn't tuned properly because when i got the chip the mechanic only installed it and asked me to test drive... there was no tune it was only a burnt chip that he gave me from i have no idea where..
Old 07-23-2009, 07:05 PM

the tune wouldn't cause the ecu to get fried, and you won't be able to hook your chipped p28 up to your d16y7 unless it is in an obd1 car, but i'm pretty sure your y7 is in a 96-00 model civic. more than likely your ecu was chipped incorrectly. if you can find any obd1 honda then it will plug in and as long as it starts the car then it's fine if it doesn't then the ecu is definately fried.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:13 PM

i would start by pulling the code. More than likely its a solid which is means its a bad ecu. What you should look for when you open up the ecu....burnt resistors, cap, traces in the board. More than likely its the large resistor in c14. Its by the plugs on the ecu midway.you can just replace them if you have any soldering capabilities
Old 07-23-2009, 08:14 PM

Another question does the CEL stay on without even cranking the car?
Old 07-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who chipped the ECU?

Where is the chip from?
Old 07-24-2009, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

True the d16 is OBD-2 my bad.. When i opened it up yesterday night i noticed one of the pathways from where the plugs from the harness hook up to the ECU to a resistor was black on the board...

ok i will check these things out when i get back home, working today but im pretty sure the CEL stays on when the key is on accessories.

who chipped the car? normally he does great work but im not gonna name names and anyways im in canada so you guys probably don't know the shop.

What chip? I wouldn't be able to tell you... I have no idea
Old 07-24-2009, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i just recently changed my speed sensor like 4 days ago could that have something to do with it?

I had to re-wire another plug onto the harness because a pin from the old sensor broke off into the plug.

I've been using this ECU for almost 6 months now.. can a chip just "go bad" at any time ? im starting to think it has something to do with the VSS i just put in..

Some more details leading up to this:

i started the engine and 1 second after it died.

Its a B16a in a 96 civic hatch.

I've been using this ECU and chip for almost 6 months and i've always found that there were wierd problems (bouncing idle) somtimes it would Stay ideling at 2000 rpm and sometimes i would start the car and it would idel at 900.

Sometimes when i'd plug the ECU start the car and start driving the car would buck intensly, so i'd stop and play around with the wires in the harness inside the car pulled them away from each other and start it again and it would work fine.

About a month ago my wiper motor just stopped working randomly and everytime i'd turn something electrical on (even rear defrost) the idle would lower and it would keep lowering as I turned on more electrical things (lights, four ways etc..) that went away once i opened uip the wiper motor cleaned it and put it back together... hadn't done it since.

Now i drove the car for 20 minutes parked. waited 15 minutes, started it up again drove 10 minutes then parked, ate for 30 minutes then went to start it and it started then died.

There was a check engine and the starter turns over. There was a burning smell coming from the ECU as well.

Thats pretty much everything i can think of that could be related. Also 4 days ago i changed my speed sensor and the plug on the harness for the sensor.

Last edited by blackcivic11; 07-24-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:33 AM

well to start with chipping an ecu wont burn it up. If it worked then fried, it wasnt the tuner. He did a good job to start. Post a pic of the burnt traces I can probably tell you where they go or how to fix it. To answer you other question, Can a chip go bad, YES. They can go corrupt and sometimes just need reflashed or replaced. Putting a new vss in your car isnt going to fry the ecu if it was done properly or inproperly at that matter. You bouncing idle was probably you FITV or IACV needing cleaned.Hope this helps. Post a pic of the burnt ecu.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:41 AM

since you said you had to wire in another plug for your speed sensor then it is possible that something went wrong there that could've caused it to fry the ecu.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

but the speedo was working 100% maybe there was wire exposed you mean? and it grounded or shorted somewhere?

I doubt it since I taped them up like crazy.... Some people have been telling me that it could have been a faulty chip..

Last edited by blackcivic11; 07-24-2009 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Does the CEL blink a code when the service connector is jumped?

If the ECU has a burned area, it's probably fried. Are any of the ECU wires likewise burned?
Old 07-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Does the CEL blink a code when the service connector is jumped?

If the ECU has a burned area, it's probably fried. Are any of the ECU wires likewise burned?
I haven't been able to check but i will as soon as i get home from work in 2 hours!

ill check for a code and ill check the wires
Old 07-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok well i got home took a lookat the wires and no ****in **** it fried heres pics for entertainment:

if you look carefully that plug on the harnessgoes into where the ECU is black on the inside... i think i've found the culprit.

Now i have to speak to the mechanic because he did my OBD2 to OBD1 conversion (switched wires around on the harness) and left these two massively exposed. Better be a free fix

anyone think I got it right?
Old 07-24-2009, 01:32 PM

your probably right. Those are the culprits. That large capacitor is the c14 it runs the fuel pump. Just replace it you can get them at moates.net You may have to repair the traces a little bit but its no big deal.