Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ECU Fault codes/fixes for OBD II =Please Help=

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Fault codes/fixes for OBD II =Please Help=

I recently had to take my 97 Honda Civic CX (hatch) to do an emissions test for licensing

it failed on 2 error codes;
p0117 : Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit Low
P0135: 02 Sensor Heater Circuit Bank 1 Sensor 1

I have been doing some searching, noticing alot of any answers that made sense coming from here (notably from NOFX) but I am still sorta stumped,

I don't have too much car knowledge, but all I have done to the car is installed an aftermarket intake (which could be the problem leading to the 02 sensor)

and the engine coolant I am unsure of.

I read a forum that listed to check the 7.5a fuse for the ECU but found nothing underHOOD.

could this be underDASH?

I gotta re-take the test by Monday (today being saturday), so any help would be prefered, not really interested in taking it to a mechanic, if I can fix it myself (money, why else?)

thank you for any responses
Old 09-20-2008, 05:11 AM

The ECT sensor is about 25 bucks from O'Reilly or compatible auto parts store, and will require you to lose a little coolant during change (thus re-bleeding the cooling system, easy enough). Pretty sure this was a 17 millimeter 'head', and you will need an open-ended or circle type (what's the name?) wrench to extract this. It's around the front of the motor, I can get pictures if necessary.

The oxygen sensor very likely is out - Recently replaced oxygen sensor in my '96 coupe, it's about that time for our cars. I eBay'd an NTK brand oxygen sensor for about $60 shipped. AutoZone sells and rents a tool to get in the awkward header area that the sensor is plugged into.

With less than $100 you'll be back to road-legal status, and have the opportunity to turn a few bolts.

E: Also, concerning ECT sensor - Does your water temperature gauge ever move to the middle while running the car for a while? If not, this will confirm the code reading of the ECT sensor being shot. <-- Disregard this, this is incorrect. The bar on gauge cluster is controlled by the 1-wire sensor next to ECT.

Last edited by Davus; 05-17-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ECU Fault codes/fixes for OBD II =Please Help= (Vindowviper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vindowviper &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I read a forum that listed to check the 7.5a fuse for the ECU but found nothing underHOOD.

could this be underDASH?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-20-2008, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ECU Fault codes/fixes for OBD II =Please Help= (Vindowviper)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Davus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The ECT sensor is about 25 bucks from O'Reilly or compatible auto parts store, and will require you to lose a little coolant during change (thus re-bleeding the cooling system, easy enough). Pretty sure this was a 17 millimeter 'head', and you will need an open-ended or circle type (what's the name?) wrench to extract this. It's around the front of the motor, I can get pictures if necessary.

The oxygen sensor very likely is out - Recently replaced oxygen sensor in my '96 coupe, it's about that time for our cars. I eBay'd an NTK brand oxygen sensor for about $60 shipped. AutoZone sells and rents a tool to get in the awkward header area that the sensor is plugged into.

With less than $100 you'll be back to road-legal status, and have the opportunity to turn a few bolts.

E: Also, concerning ECT sensor - Does your water temperature gauge ever move to the middle while running the car for a while? If not, this will confirm the code reading of the ECT sensor being shot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

+1

Just fix the problem, and reset the ecu after your repair. Don't just reset the ecu with no repair, your just covering the problem, may result to other part to failure in long run.

Modified by EvilPhu at 11:06 AM 9/20/2008