Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ECU CEL code thing... and replaced distributor, now what...

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2005, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU CEL code thing... and replaced distributor, now what...

I shorted out the plug for the CEL to flash the error codes, and now when I try it, the CEL just comes on and stays on. Does that mean there are no error codes stored or is the ECU failing or? The car has died on me about 3 or 4 times since last night and if I wait a bit it will start up after I let the car come to a complete stop. I just replaced the distributor which got my car running again but now it likes to die randomly. Any ideas?
Old 07-24-2005, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ECU CEL code thing... and replaced distributor, now what... (CornFlake340)

yes,a constant CEL with the connector shorted means no codes.
when was the last tune-up?wires,plugs,rotor,cap,filters?
main relay maybe?
does it just die while driving?does it do it when you press the clutch to stop?will it not restart instantly?
Chris
Old 07-24-2005, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does not restart instantly, does it while driving, even while giving gas... doesnt seem to be related to clutch... I just replaced the spark plugs and they really needed it, yet the problem occured afterwords yet it didnt fully die, just quit accelerating for a split momment.

I'm starting to think its the plug wires corroding/bad connection. If one wire lost connectiong completely would that make all of the car loose power?.

I think I need to replace the rotor, and cap also. How hard is it to replace fuel filter? and what other filter is there besides oil filter and fuel.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (CornFlake340)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CornFlake340 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Does not restart instantly, does it while driving, even while giving gas... doesnt seem to be related to clutch... I just replaced the spark plugs and they really needed it, yet the problem occured afterwords yet it didnt fully die, just quit accelerating for a split momment.

I'm starting to think its the plug wires corroding/bad connection. If one wire lost connectiong completely would that make all of the car loose power?.

I think I need to replace the rotor, and cap also. How hard is it to replace fuel filter? and what other filter is there besides oil filter and fuel.</TD></TR></TABLE>
one bad plug wire probably wouldn't make the car totally die,just miss really bad.but,if one wire is bad,all of them probably are,and that's a big problem.
the fuel filter isn't hard to replace.a clogged fuel filter can also cause the kind of problems you're having.
replace the fuel filter,cap,rotor and wires,then see how it goes.
also check your air filter to make sure it is in good shape.
Chris