Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Economical security measures for your Honda/Acura BEFORE it gets stolen.

Old 07-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Economical security measures for your Honda/Acura BEFORE it gets stolen.

Originally Posted by silverbullet9626 View Post
hella good thread yo deff needs a sticky but knowing my luck i would install all of this stuff and wouldn't even be able to start my own car

My point exactly!
Old 07-04-2009, 10:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Economical security measures for your Honda/Acura BEFORE it gets stolen.

Originally Posted by HBKFanatic View Post
My point exactly!
Yea dude, youre right.. So lets not install any of this stuff and just pray that our car will be there in the morning. Cuz im sure RyanA doesnt want to help anyone that PMs him.

Dumbass...
Old 07-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh Im sure he is trying to help, all I'm saying is that just because they work in theory doesn't mean they work in practice. I am looking for things like these to amp up security however if I'm going to have to take off my center console every time I drive my car to flip a switch and pop the hood to do the same, its just not practical.

Security has its drawbacks.

NO security= Easy access

ALL security= Difficult to get to.

Its fine if you put a kill switch on your fuel pump but that kill switch still has to be accessible with somewhat ease. Plus, if you have passengers they will notice your security measures and what if its someone you don't know too well?

Pressing the cruise control button to start the car is an awesome idea, because its very subtle.

He's got the ideas, however where are the guides that tell you which wires should be cut?

Not hating, just trying to point out that its not as simple as it sounds.
Old 07-04-2009, 12:56 PM

one question...what if they tow your car??? how would you stop that?
Old 07-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by laocivic View Post
one question...what if they tow your car??? how would you stop that?
Originally Posted by RyanA View Post
These things should help you get a nearly bulletproof security system on your car. Unfortunately, if a thief REALLY wants your car, they will get it. Whether they roll it away or simply show up with a tow truck and hook it, they will get it. You are just trying to keep the little guy thief from getting your car. Fortunately, most thieves ARE little guys and this will keep your car YOURS for a lot longer. You may have to replace panels, etc, but you will still have a car to replace panels on.

great stuff!! ive actually made a plan to put money into a solid alarm system as opposed to "mods" on my car..
Old 07-04-2009, 01:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you could lock your tires up so they can't move it! enable the ebrake and hide the lever elsewhere.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I wish you would have posted some of these ideas a year ago... oh well
Old 07-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
could you show me the wires to put the switches at?
Old 07-04-2009, 10:17 PM

security too expensive? i ebayed an audiovox alarm and shock sensor for like $50. after being broke into and losing a radio 3 times, the alarm now keeps the punks away! plus the alarm added remote locks. its a no brainer.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:54 PM
New User

thanks both of you
Old 07-08-2009, 12:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You guys neeed to use the ISO mount bolts for your stereos!! Stop being lazy!!

Remember the pic I posted in the 1st page of my broken climate control?? I mounted my radio to my ISO mounts so it wasnt stolen.
My cousins EM1 was stolen on Sunday night and he has the Pioneer Avic-D3 double DIN, and guess what? It was still there when the car was recovered. His climate control looked just like mine though. :/
Old 07-08-2009, 06:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Lol imagine if someone used all of these things in there car.. haha itd take 5 mins just to start it lol
Old 07-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

INSTALL YOUR ALARMS PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They couldn't start my cousins car because the alarm had the starter kill. They thought he a fuel pump kill so they took off the rear seat but nothing. If it wasn't for the alarm it would've been long gone.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the radio thing is brilliant!
Old 07-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alarms do work. somehow i locked my keys in my old car. so i grabbed a common kitchen item from work and did something to open the door. open the door alarm goes off. just my luck 2 cops hear it(right beside a coffee shop.....), and some guy with a baseball bat came running towards me.

A great Theft tool would be the tire boot. yea **** you theifs try to roll away with the car now.
The switch idea is good but you got to remember to make it not look obvious. Like on a fuel pump ground. the car starts for a 2 seconds then dies. then he cranks and can't figure out WTF Happend.?

The best i've heard was having a BUNCH or random switches and wire them so that they have to be in sequence ( and one or two hooked up to the horn ) in order for the fuel pump or ignition wires to work. ( it was in a truck with alot of flat spaces)

I personally take my ECU out. (plus alarm and stuff still hooked up)
Old 11-05-2009, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT
Old 11-06-2009, 01:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Great stuff. I plan on doing some of these on me car.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would park mine in the garage, but my parents have their Navigator in there. I'm sure most of these peeps would love to have their baby parked in the garage if they had a chance.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

this is good stuff
Old 06-17-2015, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: Economical security measures for your Honda/Acura BEFORE it gets stolen.

Hey, I just finished reading your post on security precautions for our cars.

Since you are good with wiring, i was hoping you could help me accomplish this challenge i have in front of me.

Here is the scenario, I have an Automatic 97 Honda Civic EX with a Viper 5706v car alarm that is a 2way and remote start. My ignition has been damaged by a thief and i cannot replace the ignition since the steering column was damaged to making it so the wheel lock doesn't work. Therefore, I want to be able to start my car with a push button without use of any keys. The button must engage all 3 steps of the ignition process, Acc 1, Acc 2, and momentary start. With no separate RFID unit, i want to keep my alarm remote for the keyless entry.
Here is a video link showing someone successfully doing this:
. Yes I tried contacting him with no success.
Thank you in advance. Please use as much images and videos as possible.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you can mechanically lock the steering column with a master lock or similar. Its way easier tales 2 seconds to do and is impossible to steal without dragging the car away

Only way to steal it is with a grinder
Old 06-20-2015, 05:59 PM
GDD's Resident Derp

Originally Posted by v8killaz View Post
you can mechanically lock the steering column with a master lock or similar. Its way easier tales 2 seconds to do and is impossible to steal without dragging the car away

Only way to steal it is with a grinder
They cut columns and come with a steering wheel or wrench (I used to know some car thieves. Not sure how believable some of what they say is but they know how to get in and how to start it, what to look for, and how to drive it away.)

The best lock is the Unbreakable Auto Lock with the digital key. It goes under the brake metal - supposedly the strongest metal on the car.. and yes, though I saw ONE infomercial where a guy picked the key.. in reality, I have never heard of a car with an Unbreakable Auto Lock (Brake Pedal Lock) being stolen. HOWEVER, HONDAS CAN BE THE EXCEPTION: A THIEF CAN START THE CAR AND "DRIVE" IT BY STOPPING IT WITH THE EBs (EMERGENCY BRAKES.) GO HONDA. And it seems the UAL will not fit under the gas pedal...

This is an Unbreakable Auto Lock:
Amazon.com: The UNBREAKABLE AutoLock PRO: Automotive Amazon.com: The UNBREAKABLE AutoLock PRO: Automotive

And... Since thieves are a special breed of bastard, here is one reviewer sharing insight as to how his vehicle was stolen, much like those that know how to break handcuffs by creating leverage:

My car was stolen with this device properly attached. When I retrieved the car, the busted AutoLock was waiting for me on my front seat. The AutoLock's shorter metal "arm" was bent out of the way (separated from the rest of the Autolock by about an inch), and the brake pedal face bent slightly, enabling the AutoLock to slip off the brake. From articles I've read about the AutoLock on the Internet, it's length is a major weakness: it can be used as leverage to bend the (relatively) weak metal arm and disable it. Either that happened, or a crowbar was used to bend it.

Bottom line: don't rely 100% on this device to protect your car. Nothing can do that. It is only a deterrent, just like the Club, and will not prevent a determined thief from taking your car. However, realizing the flaws of the AutoLock, I can say that now I own and use BOTH the Club and Autolock, and just hope that the work to disable this tandem is enough to discourage the next would-be thief.
That will be the first time I have ever heard of anyone being able to actually remove it while locked.

And the very next reviewer, note what he says about his car recovered WITH IT ON IT:

My 2004 Silverado Lt was stolen with this device on it. I lost over $12,000 in aftermarket parts 24 inch TIS 04 wheels,Alpine,JL audio system,TV's ,tonnue cover, and oem power leather seats. But it seems it was towed because the lock was still there when the police found it and there was no sign of beaking the steering wheel to star it. I'll recommed but not a reable device.
IMHO: Thieves, if they see a car with this on it.. Will abandon the effort, and go to the next car with no security at all, or a The Club which takes 11 seconds to saw a wheel.

Also, the single biggest thing to safeguard a car is to not park it in Newark, NJ. We all know mine got stolen and recovered but I was in the minority.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:03 PM
GDD's Resident Derp

Originally Posted by Pothole987 View Post
alarms do work. somehow i locked my keys in my old car. so i grabbed a common kitchen item from work and did something to open the door. open the door alarm goes off. just my luck 2 cops hear it(right beside a coffee shop.....), and some guy with a baseball bat came running towards me.

A great Theft tool would be the tire boot. yea **** you theifs try to roll away with the car now.
The switch idea is good but you got to remember to make it not look obvious. Like on a fuel pump ground. the car starts for a 2 seconds then dies. then he cranks and can't figure out WTF Happend.?

The best i've heard was having a BUNCH or random switches and wire them so that they have to be in sequence ( and one or two hooked up to the horn ) in order for the fuel pump or ignition wires to work. ( it was in a truck with alot of flat spaces)

I personally take my ECU out. (plus alarm and stuff still hooked up)
As much as I know how bad cops want to put charges on people, it is NOT illegal to break into your own car. (But you know that.)

Of course, that didn't stop Newark NJ from TOWING my car because it "looked stolen." I actually bought it with a busted column, since they attempted (?) to steal it from the P/O.

They didn't even bother to run the license plates to see if it was. That was.. a new low. And yes, they had something smart to say to me - over the phone - when I pointed that out.

$237 for them. For nothing........ (*tow company is in their pocket, it is well-known in Newark NJ.) And if I was violent, I'd be in jail for other reasons. I will say that.