Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EBP Si - Need new headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon2 EBP Si - Need new headlights

My headlight lens are really yellowed. I have done the toothpaste trick numerous times, but they just don't stay clear long anymore. Anyways, car is mostly stock EBP Si. Only mods are H&R Springs and AEM CAI.

Which headlight assembly looks better on this car? The clear ones (OEM style) or the ones with the blacked out internals (CTR)? I really like both types the same.

Also, where is the best place to get the headlight assemblies?
Old 01-07-2013, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EBP Si - Need new headlights

Go to any auto parts store and get the 3M restoration kit, settling for aftermarket headlights are simply just a down grade. I've restore so many OEM headlights to sell back for huge profits.

If you can get real SIR or CTR headlights then do it, otherwise stick to the ones that came on your car.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

3m restoration kit? Never heard of it. What is the cost and turnaround time for a novice to try to use the 3m restoration kit?
Thanks
Old 01-08-2013, 12:34 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It takes about 30 minutes, a hose, and a drill. I used two kits to do four cars about two years ago, and they're all still crystal clear.

The cheap CTR knockoffs are ****. They'll be yellow in less than a year again. The reflectors are horrible, and will throw light all over the place. Good luck ever getting the beams lined up, too. Real CTR headlights are great, but they're expensive as ****. If you don't want to go through the process of restoration (it's really simple), hunt down and buy some EDM (German, specifically) headlight housings. They have the same look as OEM, but they're legally required to be made of glass rather than plastic. Glass won't yellow like the plastic does.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if you can find oem ctr headlights for a good price, get em. They retail like $800 or something new from honda, but you can sometimes get lucky on ebay or craigslist. I got my set for $360 shipped. Otherwise, I'd say use the 3M kit as just dung suggested.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
It takes about 30 minutes, a hose, and a drill. I used two kits to do four cars about two years ago, and they're all still crystal clear.

The cheap CTR knockoffs are ****. They'll be yellow in less than a year again. The reflectors are horrible, and will throw light all over the place. Good luck ever getting the beams lined up, too. Real CTR headlights are great, but they're expensive as ****. If you don't want to go through the process of restoration (it's really simple), hunt down and buy some EDM (German, specifically) headlight housings. They have the same look as OEM, but they're legally required to be made of glass rather than plastic. Glass won't yellow like the plastic does.
Whats the drill for??
Anyone have any pics of the finished headlights using the 3m kit?
Old 01-08-2013, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

DO THE 3M headlight restoration kit, its $20 at autozone or advance, use any drill cordless or battery, doesnt have to spin crazy fast, it comes with instructions and makes lights brand new!
Old 01-08-2013, 06:24 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lightsped
Whats the drill for??
Anyone have any pics of the finished headlights using the 3m kit?
If you look at the 3M kit, it comes with a buffing pad on a drill bit, as well as multiple pieces of pre-cut sand paper. The sand paper sticks to the buffing pad via Velcro, and you insert the drill bit into your drill so you can make it rotate. Makes the job take 30 minutes, instead of 3 hours if you did it by hand.

Yes, legit CTR housings will run you $300+. You can find the EDM housings if you look hard enough, for <$200. We also have a small number of German members, it might be worthwhile putting out some feelers and seeing if any of them can help you with a junk yard pull.