Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ebay turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay turbo kit

ok so i really want to turbo my ej8 but i dont have a whole lot of money so i was just thinking of getting an ebay turbo kit...i know there probably not the best but what do yall think?
Old 07-01-2009, 08:09 AM

Default Re: ebay turbo kit

there are going to be a lot of people try to steer you away from these kits because of the expression "you get what you pay for". And it is sorta true. I have had many friends use these with no problems and others with nothing but problems. Just buy from a reputable seller and you should have no problem
Old 07-01-2009, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by slow96lude
there are going to be a lot of people try to steer you away from these kits because of the expression "you get what you pay for". And it is sorta true. I have had many friends use these with no problems and others with nothing but problems. Just buy from a reputable seller and you should have no problem

Yeah i kinda live by that expression too but i just dont wanna spend a bunch of money when i dont have to. What kind of problems did your friends have?
Old 07-01-2009, 08:19 AM

The main problem what the manifold. I had to reweld about 5 of them and brace them a little bit. The others were the turbos were very finaky. sometime there thrust bearings would last 2 years with some abuse and other times I was rebuilding them after a month and thats no fun to rip off a turbo that you just put on a month ago. Just remember there is a lot involved in turboing a car. It all the little things, such as doind the oil lines and getting a kit where the DP actually bolts to the turbo and and to your original exhaust. So plan on having that welded. And most of importance is the TUNE
Old 07-01-2009, 08:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The main problem what the manifold. I had to reweld about 5 of them and brace them a little bit. The others were the turbos were very finaky. sometime there thrust bearings would last 2 years with some abuse and other times I was rebuilding them after a month and thats no fun to rip off a turbo that you just put on a month ago. Just remember there is a lot involved in turboing a car. It all the little things, such as doind the oil lines and getting a kit where the DP actually bolts to the turbo and and to your original exhaust. So plan on having that welded. And most of importance is the TUNE

yeah i know what all goes into a turboed car and i would most def get a good tune.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:25 AM

my buddy has ebay turbo kit.had it bout a year now. its a full sport jdm. so far 1 problem. the inlet on oil feed line is too big therefor blowing oil seals. simple fix, a restrictor . BUT i ordered the exact turbo kit about 2 weeks ago and the feed line came with a restictor sized at 0.5mm which eleminates the blown oil seals. i ordered from Iloveil TACO TACO.

this is the exact kit we have. anybody else come across any other problems ??
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-00...Q5fAccessories
Old 07-01-2009, 08:26 AM

See not all people have bad things to say about ebay kits. And I have bought stuff from ilovetacotaco as well and he is a very reputable seller on ebay
Old 07-01-2009, 08:28 AM

I am pretty sure I had to cut off the turbo side flange from the downpipe on that kit to clock it like a 1/4 inch so it would fit a buddys car but thats it.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jcblessing21
my buddy has ebay turbo kit.had it bout a year now. its a full sport jdm. so far 1 problem. the inlet on oil feed line is too big therefor blowing oil seals. simple fix, a restrictor . BUT i ordered the exact turbo kit about 2 weeks ago and the feed line came with a restictor sized at 0.5mm which eleminates the blown oil seals. i ordered from Iloveil TACO TACO.

have you had any other fitting problems?
Old 07-01-2009, 08:33 AM
I serve phở for my babies

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my friend bought one for like 700 bucks and the only thing he upgraded was the wastegate, he bought a tial because the ebay kept boost creeping.

but he made 280 whp on a gsr
Old 07-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Alright thanks for all the help guys i guess im going to look in to buying an ebay kit
Old 07-01-2009, 08:34 AM

well the turbo cleared the block. intercooler piping was right. and downpipe hooked up ok because it does have flex pipe and is able to bend a little. but i think ima take it to get rewelded because it hangs a little low under oil pan and im afraid of bottoming it out and putn a hole in it.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

has anyone heard of the turbos going bad on these kits
Old 07-01-2009, 08:40 AM

Thats about it man those are the most frustratin things too because you think you have it done and you have to get something rewelded. But all in all to have something rewelded and maybe you will get lucky and have it all fit right up. That compared to a 3000 dollar kit you have a pretty good deal IMO. Not to a hipocrit but I used a treadstoneperformance on mine because it is way better quality for about 1700. You get the turbonetics turbo of for a little less they can set you up with a really nice garret, but its up to you and how deep your pockets are.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats about it man those are the most frustratin things too because you think you have it done and you have to get something rewelded. But all in all to have something rewelded and maybe you will get lucky and have it all fit right up. That compared to a 3000 dollar kit you have a pretty good deal IMO. Not to a hipocrit but I used a treadstoneperformance on mine because it is way better quality for about 1700. You get the turbonetics turbo of for a little less they can set you up with a really nice garret, but its up to you and how deep your pockets are.

yeah i was thinking about that one cause i mean i have a job ill just need to save up for it...how much does it usually cost for a good tune
Old 07-01-2009, 09:07 AM

well seeing as how your obd2 your going to need a obd2 to obd1 conversion harness and obd1 ecu plus someone to do the actual chipping of the ecu and then the tune

conversion harness=55 on ebay
ecu chipping=75
ecu depending on which one you get=50-120
base tune xenocron=25
base tune local=50 better
dyno tune= 100/hour recomended
Old 07-01-2009, 09:16 AM

when u say chipping you ecu. what exact you gotta do ?
Old 07-01-2009, 09:17 AM

check out moates.net or xenocron.com or pgmfi.org will be your best bet
Old 07-01-2009, 09:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I would highly recommend buying either a Treadstone kit, or from Spoolinperformance....

Ebay kits are tempting, but just not worth the risk.

I would look in the Forced Induction FAQ... There is an extensive thread on this.

Intercooler kit = ok
Manifolds = crap
Wastegate = not worth the risk
BOV = ok
Turbo = some ok on low boost, some crap either way
Fittings = cheap steel, most seem to work

Honestly, I wouldn't buy drag or peakboost either. I personally will be buying everything from Spoolinperformance. Add it up, it's around $1800 for everything. I also like that you can have the closed loop dumps pre-fabbed. Their parts are quality!
Old 07-01-2009, 09:26 AM

what do you get ? the extender or what ? im runin a fmu and need to tune idk where to start tho ? im on stock injectors also
Old 07-01-2009, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

SEARCH!!

You need to ditch the FMU, get some larger injectors, get a Chipped ECU, and go to a tuner.

Chipped ECU's are a stock ecu that has the ROM chipped replace with a female socket. This allows tuners to create a custom tune for your car, and place the newly programmed chip in your ECU. There are many options.

http://www.xenocron.com/install/Intr...CUChipping.htm

Last edited by iliv2xlr8; 07-01-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:28 AM

not to bash spooling but I had bought one of there 600 dollar stainless logs for a b series and I probably put 4 hours into welding in because the wastegate was way off and so was the downpipe
Old 07-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jcblessing21

"***ATTENTION: DISCLAIMER!!***
This item is produced for off-road or show purpose only. This item is not suitable for regular driving. User must follow the direction given and any misuse of this product is at his/her own risk. The Manufacturer, Distributor, and retailer will not be held responsible for using this item other than specified above."

Doh!
Old 07-01-2009, 09:30 AM

Phil did work with me on a lot of stuff as far as refunding some of my money for my time and upgrading some other stuff
Old 07-01-2009, 09:30 AM

im not asking bout a turbo kit i have one. i put an fmu on it as most people do because they cannot afford a tune at the time. im looking into a tune and wanting to know exact what you all think i should do because i dont have money to fool around and mess up. which is why my car is parked for now so i dont blow it waitn on tune. but when i do drive it i run it rich.

Quick Reply: ebay turbo kit