Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

eBay Short Shifter (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default eBay Short Shifter (with pics)

After some debate, I ordered the eBay dual bend short shifter for $10 shipped. Showed up after about a week, and looked pretty good. I wasn't in a hurry to install it, so I just kinda waited for a nice day when I had time off. Well, today was that day. Having never done this, I followed this guide:

http://www.sportcompactcarweb....ation/

Anyway, here's some shots of the stock shifter.
First

Neutral

Second

Here's a side by side shot of the old and new

Now, here it is installed.
First

Neutral

Second

The shifts are much shorter and require only a little more effort. Now that it's actually in, I kinda wish I went with the stock bend, just because first is at an akward angle and looks a little funny. Also, as for the issue with snapping off, before I installed it, I tried to break it with my hands, applying more pressure then I would ever use to shift, and it held up fine.

(for reference and discussion of name brand shifters, see the original thread https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1820031 )

*addition* I also wanted to add that I reused the stock bolt and nut only because the stock bold didn't have threads in the middle, which I felt to be a plus. Also, the eBay shifter came with it's own bearing installed and two little bushings. You need to use those bushings between the stock shift linkage and the shifter, and it's kinda tricky to get the first one on, but the second one was fine
Old 12-17-2006, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: eBay Short Shifter (InvaderTrax)

I got a short shifter from ebay for a grand total of like 14 dollars shipped. It's just like a stock bend but shorter obviously, never had a problem with it and sometimes it does get a beating so I can't complain.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

****. 14 bux? Was it an actual short shifter or is it what's commonly referred to as "ebay ****?"

Aren't ebay "new" things usually like 20 bucks, + 20 shipping and handling?
Old 12-17-2006, 10:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">****. 14 bux? Was it an actual short shifter or is it what's commonly referred to as "ebay ****?"

Aren't ebay "new" things usually like 20 bucks, + 20 shipping and handling?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It's a true shifter, with new bearings and bushings. Here's the one I bought. Only two things I can suggest are reusing the stock bolt and nut (but use the bushings included in the kit), and remember to use lithium grease on the shift change ball. I didn't have any spray, so I used some from a tube. Only took a little dab to grease the whole ball, so if you know someone with some, it'd be a waste to buy your own

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...&rd=1
Old 12-17-2006, 11:03 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

AWESOME! i want a picture of it in reverse!! just messin
i have read they break , cause the alumumin gets hot from the exhaust and get weak, thus.. BREAKING
Old 12-17-2006, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (POE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by POE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">AWESOME! i want a picture of it in reverse!! just messin
i have read they break , cause the alumumin gets hot from the exhaust and get weak, thus.. BREAKING</TD></TR></TABLE>

You get what you pay for, BUT i have had good luck with these in the past. Had one on my 93 si and my 97 200sx.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:19 AM
POE
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (teknoracing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by teknoracing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

You get what you pay for, BUT i have had good luck with these in the past. Had one on my 93 si and my 97 200sx. </TD></TR></TABLE>
thast funny cause the car i have right now. has one actaully
I would much rather have my old B&M.. but have yet to get a new one. and drove this one on here for over a year and no problems, But im carefull when i get on it.. After the car has been warm for a while, and the shifter feels warm.
My friend actaully broke his , and it was on his car for like 1 or 2 months. So i was scuurred
Old 12-17-2006, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (POE)

my .02

I have bought a 40$ matrix short shifter, and 10$ ebay Short shifters. there ant no ******* difference, if any the bearings are a no name brand.

ebay is tricky, some things "you get what you pay for"
I have been doing sales for awhile, and i will say ebay is the **** for lots of parts and such. but there are the exclusionary parts that are absolute ****.
some of the best deals i have ever ran across were on ebay.
oh and creigslist.

if you dont like the bend, try flipping it around. im a tall guy and i wanted the shifter closer the the dash, so i twisted mine and it put it closer up to the dash.

EDIT, btw, i have cut the cheap ss to make em less in lenght, the metal is metal, theres no difference in steels. i bet there are many people that have had 50$ ss break, that **** just happens

Modified by THC07 at 12:46 PM 12/17/2006
Old 12-17-2006, 11:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i bought the same exact dual bend and i thought the same,i beat it on the floor and it wouldn't bend or nothing.then when im racing i go to throw second and it snaps of the threads and now the threads are stuck in my type r ****.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

****, it's funny here compared to other threads where responses would be like: "wtf, ebay, absolutely not"

Haha.

If I had "throw around money" I'd probably pick up a short shifter. I don't shift like F&F so I don't see a need get an expensive one, but the stock one is fine I suppose .
Old 12-17-2006, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

Cool, let us know when it snaps. Also, the eBay one has no weight, unlike the skunk2. I bet one of these times when you try to slam it into 3rd, it's going to snap and your hand is going to punch the CD player or something. Its gonna hurt like a bitch. Oh well, you live and learn. I know I did.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cambopheonix56)

I've had an Ebay shifter for close to a year now. It's simialr to that one only the bend is much more subtle. No breakages or problems thus far but my fingers are crossed.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (cambopheonix56)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by cambopheonix56 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Cool, let us know when it snaps. Also, the eBay one has no weight, unlike the skunk2. I bet one of these times when you try to slam it into 3rd, it's going to snap and your hand is going to punch the CD player or something. Its gonna hurt like a bitch. Oh well, you live and learn. I know I did.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you snap a short shifter you shift like a ******* retard.

/story.
Old 12-17-2006, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Minglor)

bleh...those ebay short shifters are junk..dont like them at all..had 2 of them...after 6-7 months of drive the bearings rusted, shifter would shift hard..the stock bolt rusted on to those bearings..hard as expletive to take off...bearings were greased before installing shitfer....now i run the stock gsr shifter..
Old 12-17-2006, 12:51 PM

Default Re: (THC07)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THC07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have bought a 40$ matrix short shifter, and 10$ ebay Short shifters. there ant no ******* difference, if any the bearings are a no name brand.</TD></TR></TABLE>

IMO Matrix=eBay, both are usually cheap knock-off crap

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THC07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if you dont like the bend, try flipping it around. im a tall guy and i wanted the shifter closer the the dash, so i twisted mine and it put it closer up to the dash.</TD></TR></TABLE>

bending it will make the shifter even weaker, increasing the chance it will break, and what makes them break in the first place is fatigue. Over time the stress (however little) will add up, kind of like if you bend a paper clip back and forth it will eventually snap...that is fatigue. If you want your shifter closer to the dash get the B&M or the FLP shifter.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THC07 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">btw, i have cut the cheap ss to make em less in lenght, the metal is metal, theres no difference in steels. i bet there are many people that have had 50$ ss break, that **** just happens</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wrong, there is a lot of difference in steel, most cheap shifters are make from aluminum or cold rolled steel, which have lower stress tolerances. If I hit you with my stock shifter you would slap me, if I hit you with my B&M you would be unconcious, and if I hit you with my FLP you would be dead, they are all made from steel.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by POE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would much rather have my old B&M.. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I will sell you my old B&M if you want.
Old 12-17-2006, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick update. I actually took the car out for some errands, and I take back what I said about the dual bend. It may look a little funny, but it's sooo comfortable, which is my main point for buying it. The car is slow as hell, and always will be, but as long as I don't hate driving it, everything's ok
Old 12-23-2006, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Minglor)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Minglor &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

If you snap a short shifter you shift like a ******* retard.

/story.</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, if you snap your eBay short shifter, its not because you shift like a ******* retard. They are weak as expletive. That is almost the stupidest thing I have heard.
Old 12-24-2006, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Only thing I don't get is if aluminum is so weak, why make roller rockers out of it? I think it's not so much the material is weak, as that there are probably air bubbles or something in some of the shifters. That, and your exhaust size. Bigger exhaust gets closer to the shifter. With a stock exhaust, I had plenty of room
Old 12-24-2006, 10:00 AM

Default Re: (InvaderTrax)

not all aluminum is created equal thats why roller rockers typically have other materials in it in order to change its characteristics, this creates an aluminum alloy if you want more specifics on this kinda stuff ill get out my machinery's handbook.

p.s. i got the B&M race shifter with the alum base and stainless shaft awesome shifter and wont break. only complaints no bend and $$
Old 12-24-2006, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea my boy had one on his hatch he was racing some car and comes back with the shift **** on his hand and im like wtffffffffff the short shifter broke and he stayed in his hand with the shift ****
Old 12-24-2006, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GdmBlk99SI)

When it comes to random **** like short shifters, I give a **** not if they are name brand and certain styles. 14 bucks for a short shifter from ebay for me and no problems at all. Now would i buy random pistons or headers or exhaust from ebay? Hell no, but a light bulb, a short shifter, a set of seats or something that really doesn't effect the RUNNING of the car, hell yea, but not save a few bucks and get more things you want.
Old 12-24-2006, 01:37 PM

Default Re: (bart2546)

wow $10, i paid over $100 for a skunk2 stainless steel one.

stock shifters
Old 12-24-2006, 01:40 PM
CFF

Default Re: eBay Short Shifter (InvaderTrax)

i had an ebay short shifter, hit 3rd to hard and snapped it in two pieces. now i have a b&m shifter and have had no problems.
Old 12-24-2006, 02:01 PM

10-15 dollars...i would be all over that. unles you are raking in the dough, then get a name brand one.
Old 12-24-2006, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (FRWYKNG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by FRWYKNG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow $10, i paid over $100 for a skunk2 stainless steel one.

stock shifters </TD></TR></TABLE>

stock gets the from me

Quick Reply: eBay Short Shifter (with pics)