Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ebay rear lower control arms?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ebay rear lower control arms?

Not my first choice when it comes to replacing parts and I almost wont buy them for some crap about taco taco

but anyone have any experience with these do they work and not break or wear out other stuff ?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-2000-HO...937234&vxp=mtr

Im gonna take the oem ones I have to the machine shop if they dont charge to much to remove or if they can remove the bolts out of them I sheared off both swaybar end links in them

I already tried drilling through the threads and easy out that snapped off 2sec in
Unless someone know some other ones that fit a 96 SI cheaper of slightly more expensive for 2 that dont suck
Old 12-17-2012, 02:26 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Ebay rear lower control arms?

Really? You're going to take a chance on some unbranded suspension components for under $70? If you do you deserve everything you get.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I cant afford oem or I would just get some Oem ones
there 85$ each
Old 12-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those bolts often need to be torched off due to corrosion.

I never recomend no name brand Ebay suspension parts. Often the fitment is poor and you have no idea if there is any quality control. If the part fails you are now left with a much more expnensive repair. Spend the extra money on a known brand which is proven, or replace the bushings on the OEM arm and call it a day.
Old 12-17-2012, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the bushings are ok its the rear sway bar links that sheared off where they bolt to the lower control arm I grease every bolt I remove on this car Since im tired of fighting bolts off

I totally didn't think of fitment issues though and those things are definitely not the same shape
Old 12-17-2012, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well nevermind then rock auto has some decent ones for 50$ each

thats if of course I cant get them machined out cheaper
Old 12-17-2012, 02:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All Civic 96-00 rear lower control arm the same. You should be able to find them for dirt cheap if not free.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Really? You're going to take a chance on some unbranded suspension components for under $70? If you do you deserve everything you get.
I would listen to this guy. Suspension is a vital part to keeping control of your car, it's not worth skimping on cheapo parts.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NO EBAY JUNK! I'd say at least salvage some used lca's from a junkyard before ever considering those, for safety sake alone, not including all the other horrible negatives. OEM or function7, only options worth buying.

This:

or this

Not this:

and PLEASE NEVER this

I would recommend using PB blaster, I've always had easy bolt removal.

P.S. - There was no 1996 Si, only the 1999-2000 had an Si for the EJ chassis model (EK chassis was only 1996-2000 civic type r and the sir models)

Last edited by ej6fade; 12-18-2012 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:41 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nicely put.

youll pay twice as much in the end when you have to replace the ebay junk with a real part that you shouldve bought the 1st time.

when you try to save a buck, it will cost you 2. Do it right the 1st time and reward yourself with not having to replace it again down the road.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

No smelly parts, none of those opposite of circle parts,no tacos, ebay...
They just are terrible.
I did find a set of opposite of circle LCA's in a house I bought.
Former owner left them behind.
I removed the worn out bushings and relaced them with hardrace.
Now they arent soooo bad at all and havent even deteriorated one bit.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

my friend had these on his coupe which he daily drove, we took them off about 2 months later and the bushings were done. lol.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EsotericImage
Do it right the 1st time and reward yourself with not having to replace it again down the road.

This advice is something I can never stress enough. Take pride in your car, even if it is just a commuter. I see soooo many cars around running cheap crap that was probably made in a china or taiwan with no quality control and inferior materials (at least here in southern california). Lips and wings are one things, but ANYTHING involving safety is another. Money is NOT an excuse, only difference is it may take longer to save up and buy quality, reputable parts than other people. If not high quality aftermarket parts, then at the very least, OEM parts or equivalent parts that meet OEM standards. No, I'm not rich. I have the same working 2 jobs/school story as most other college students. Quality is something that should NEVER be compromised. Especially if there is any chance at all that it could cause harm/injury/death to yourself or others around you.

Not bashing OP at all, just making a point. I've seen the aftermath of what buying cheap parts can do.

Last edited by ej6fade; 12-18-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are too many "should I buy this eBay part that replaces something super important on my car" threads on this forum.

Never cheap out on anything that takes half a brain to develop. Decent analogy coming your way. I buy cheap *** screw drivers from Harbor Freight because there is not much engineering that goes in to making it and its hard to mess that up. When I buy something that has a moving part or needs to work precisely I buy Craftsman or snap on.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alot of the problems with the LCA bushings ripping isnt really the bushing itself but he fact people tighten them down super tight with the suspension hanging in the air. i bet if people properly torqued the bolts while the car was sitting on the ground all LCA bushings (including the ebay ones) would last a lot longer
Old 12-18-2012, 09:02 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzRS
alot of the problems with the LCA bushings ripping isnt really the bushing itself but he fact people tighten them down super tight with the suspension hanging in the air. i bet if people properly torqued the bolts while the car was sitting on the ground all LCA bushings (including the ebay ones) would last a lot longer
HUH?
Naw doood the rubber in those brands is just crap.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Any suggestions on where to buy some quality oem suspension components for our cars? I'm not really familiar with Honda replacement part suppliers.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I bought my del Sol, it had ebay (at least I think ebay...there's no markings on them anywhere) LCA's. I've had the car 3 years and the only issue I'm having is squeaky *** bushings. Everything else has held up fine....granted I plan on replacing them after the 1st of the year, so...take it for what you will.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

F2 has the upgraded bushings.. these are what I am using and holding up after 2 years.

Had Blox and bushings lasted 6 weeks.
Old 12-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have them on my del sol and have been on there 2yrs with no problems. My car is just a daily driver so nothing crazy with it. Now would I buy something like this if I was going to be racing the car or anything, NO.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OEM arms can be bought through the dealer or from someone here on the Marketplace.

Like everyone said, save your money and get either oem, F7, or like Esoteric said, F2`s. It`s better to get quality suspension parts from reputable places. It`s suspension bro, you don`t cheap out on the parts that keep your *** on the road.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ooooooh poop ... i have some cheap blue lcas installed lol ... less than 1k miles though ... will be changing soon ... didn't know it would be such a ' safety hazard ' still have my oem ones thrown around ... they look exactly like the Mirage power blue ones that are installed on the car in the right corner of that pic posted up ...
Old 12-18-2012, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by emoney803
ooooooh poop ... i have some cheap blue lcas installed lol ... less than 1k miles though ... will be changing soon ... didn't know it would be such a ' safety hazard ' still have my oem ones thrown around ... they look exactly like the Mirage power blue ones that are installed on the car in the right corner of that pic posted up ...
I would change em asap lol. Some people have been lucky and have had great experiences with ebay lca's, and good for them. Key word there is lucky. About a year ago I was rolling with some friends in a canyon run (driving responsibly, not like punk yahoos) and one of my buddies in a 93 civic had ebay lca's. His right rear lca snapped in a hard turn at the sway bar hole, dumbass lost control and totaled his car. Just a thought
Old 12-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

gotta make sure you put the lca's under load when you torque down the bolts... if you tighten them up before you put the car under load you will twist the bushings, and blow them out really fast
Old 12-20-2012, 11:00 AM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ej6fade
P.S. - There was no 1996 Si, only the 1999-2000 had an Si for the EJ chassis model (EK chassis was only 1996-2000 civic type r and the sir models)
Yes there is, in Canada. 96 SI= our 96 EX. Our SI is their SIR.

Anyways, OP Google Hardrace bushings. They will run ~$50. You burn/press the old OEM bushings out and press the new ones in.
Fairly easy, and you don't have to worry about it unlike this **** you're currently looking at.

Quick Reply: Ebay rear lower control arms?