Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ebay Header, Yay or Nay?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay Header, Yay or Nay?

The idea of a shiny $50 header on my 93 Dx coupe seems like a cool idea. I already love the sound of my CAI. Would it be worth the trouble? Or would it just end up cracking and becoming a headache? Are specific brands better than others?
Old 12-17-2008, 09:50 PM

egay=please dont
Old 12-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Before i got my Del Sol, I had a 05 Scion tC.. I had a ebay header on it and it worked fine. Actually i had a ebay header, Cat-back exhaust and a cold air intake on it and ran a 15 Flat trapping 94 MPH. But honestly i wouldn't buy off brand **** ever again... Just go to the for sale section im sure someone is selling a used header.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a megan racing header.
They are good and cheap
Old 12-17-2008, 10:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you probably shouldnt spend any money on a single cam motor even if its cheap on ebay. Save your money for something else. as far as performance goes any money you spend on a single cam will likely just sound or look cool but will go to waste. but if you were to do a motor swap and you ran out of funds then you should only buy from ebay as a temporary replacement.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:54 PM
Vietnamese!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont buy ebay...save some money for good quality
Old 12-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't get an eBay header. If anything get a Megan header like Ruben said.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Why does everyone hate ebay....its only like 30 bucks for a ebay header...why not give it a try??
Old 12-18-2008, 12:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you get a lot of mixed reviews, some have got on with them, some havent, i suppose for the money you couldnt complain, but it certainly wont be good quality, might be ill fitting, so might just be more of a headache than its worth!

al9955
Old 12-18-2008, 03:27 AM

you get what you pay for my friend. That old adig works for everything. Most likely you will end up with headaches, such as cracks, discoloring, fitment issues going to crank or cat, which then will lead to vibration or rattles. Not worth the headache. A lot of people have had great sucess with Megan. For peace of mind I would go with DC. And even if it is a single cam engine. If the independent dyno charts are showing hp improvement and better mpg, WE THE HECk NOT get bolt ons?
Old 12-18-2008, 03:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by driveslow
you get what you pay for my friend. That old adig works for everything. Most likely you will end up with headaches, such as cracks, discoloring, fitment issues going to crank or cat, which then will lead to vibration or rattles. Not worth the headache. A lot of people have had great sucess with Megan. For peace of mind I would go with DC. And even if it is a single cam engine. If the independent dyno charts are showing hp improvement and better mpg, WE THE HECk NOT get bolt ons?
What he said...
Old 12-18-2008, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also second DC, my favorite header ive ever had
Old 12-18-2008, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have an ebay header and a DC header.
both made noticable performance gains w/ 2.25" catback exhaust.
when i turn off the car, the ebay header makes a clicking sound as it cools down.
Old 12-18-2008, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

name dosent mean quality. I had a dc ceramic on my crx it lasted about 4 months till it cracked at the collector. it cracked right in half.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This thread is ridiculous. Does anybody who is saying "don't get egay" have any real experience? I purchased an ebay header for my GF's D16Y8 because her stock header cracked. It cost my less than $60 shipped and it installed perfectly and looks and sounds great. She's convinced it gave her some torque, and I'm convinced it was worth the money. Stop brand whoring.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

what he said ^
Old 12-18-2008, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by JohnnyWash1
This thread is ridiculous. Does anybody who is saying "don't get egay" have any real experience? I purchased an ebay header for my GF's D16Y8 because her stock header cracked. It cost my less than $60 shipped and it installed perfectly and looks and sounds great. She's convinced it gave her some torque, and I'm convinced it was worth the money. Stop brand whoring.

You are right, I have never bought or used an egay header. Im just basing my opinion on the hundreds of bad experiences I have read about on this forum. Honestly, how many times do you read about the dc header thats faulty in some way shape or form compared to egay header?
Old 12-18-2008, 11:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it can go either way.. i had an ebay header on my d15b7 and i could never get it to fully seal, freaking thing always had an exhaust leak some where.

really its a header for a sohc... if i had to do that all over again i would probably buy another one off of ebay just because i dont see the point in spending $300+ on a header that will give me what... 2 hp?
Old 12-18-2008, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had an obx header when I had my crx. After awhile of using it, there was a crack on the flange, I immediately tossed it away.

It's up to you whether not you would want to waste a couple of bucks and some spare time to take it off/on.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you are weary about getting an Ebay header...just go ahead and throw a Megan Racing Header on there..i have one for my Z6 and it works fine and operates good as well! had it on for 2 years on my Z6 swap and no problems.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:42 AM

Yes I do have experience, Ive boughten 2 ebay headers and both had fitment issues, rattled and cracked, ebay is only good when its a real brand, id buy dc headers off ebay anytime, imo dont spend money on something thats not quality, just save and buy good quality, youll be happier in the end
Old 12-18-2008, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I havent had any problems with the e-bay header on my sohc i wasnt wanting performane i just didnt want to put another ugly manifold back on it (because mine had about 6 large cracks in it). fitment i had no issues whatsoever i guess its a mixed bag just make sure the seller has good feedback.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

werd! dont buy ebay = cheap materials. bad welds. overall headache.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This thread is ridiculous. Does anybody who is saying "don't get egay" have any real experience?
Exactly. Honda-tech is good at arguing without evidence (personal, empirical evidence anyways).

I've had one for a few years now. Fitment was fine, doesnt leak and hasn't cracked. My old mani was cracked and I was not interested in spending a couple hundred on a brand name header.

The only thing I can suggest replacing if you do get one of these 'ebay' headers are the bolts. Mine have gotten pretty rusted.
Old 12-18-2008, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by driveslow
You are right, I have never bought or used an egay header. Im just basing my opinion on the hundreds of bad experiences I have read about on this forum. Honestly, how many times do you read about the dc header thats faulty in some way shape or form compared to egay header?
I don't think there are hundreds of bad experiences on this forum. I think there are hundreds of voices like yours, chronicling a few bad experiences with an inexpensive header. Look in this thread alone; there are reports of faulty DC and OBX headers from the actual owners.

Quick Reply: Ebay Header, Yay or Nay?