Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

eBay Foggies: Need Input (Link Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 01:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default eBay Foggies: Need Input (Link Inside)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...wItem

Just wanna know what people think about those.

Think they'll last a while? How about brightness? Etc. etc.

I don't have money to drop on OEM's nor do I have a job to save up for OEM's. I need cheapest possible. Last resort I have...
Old 11-15-2006, 02:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eBay Foggies: Need Input (amej8)

generally the ebay fogs work just fine... the relays sometimes go bad after getting them wet but they are cheap to replace (less then 5 dollars).. i notice usally cheap bulbs are included so they arent too bright, of course changing bulbs is also fairly cheap... only thing really to be concerned about is when changing bulbs making sure it seals correctly so water doesnt get into it.
Old 11-15-2006, 03:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: eBay Foggies: Need Input (john666)

Thanks for the input .

Thats the kind of input I need. Anyone else?
Old 11-15-2006, 07:39 AM

i have had them in mine for over a year and still working fine.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:25 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Those are esuse ones. Just clear. And honnestly, you'll get better light output, since that's what you're worried about.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:23 AM

i have the large slanted square style 96-98 oem style DEPO fogs and i custom fabricated some mounts so they fitted my 2000 ek bumper and they are great!

EBAY DOMESTIC MARKET

Old 11-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

why not spend a bit more and get the real thing
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...QrdZ1
Old 11-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (2coupes)

pokom....good deals
Old 11-15-2006, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I got the 96-98 block style off ebay for 50 bucks, painted 'em yellow and they work perfectly... came with mad tyte jdm switch and jdm instructions
Old 11-15-2006, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Eran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Those are esuse ones. Just clear. And honnestly, you'll get better light output, since that's what you're worried about.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm also worried about the quality of them. Like if they'll end up leaking faster, fog building up in them faster, poor assembly with shitty materials etc.

I need these to be able to last me like up to 6-7 months until I get my full time summer job back where I'll be able to buy w/e I want.
Old 11-15-2006, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (amej8)

Very close to buying them tonight or early tomorrow.

Anyone wanna give last minute input?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dont order them plz...go with the oem fogs from honda...there only around $140 trust me...i've had too many problems with my depo fogs...you get what you paid for...
Old 11-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmoua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dont order them plz...go with the oem fogs from honda...there only around $140 trust me...i've had too many problems with my depo fogs...you get what you paid for...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Who and where did you buy them from? DEPO kit? There are a handful of people on D-Series.org that have vouched by the eBay fogs. They've been using for over a year with no problems.

What kidn of problems did you have? Be specific please?
Old 11-15-2006, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Who and where did you buy them from? DEPO kit? There are a handful of people on D-Series.org that have vouched by the eBay fogs. They've been using for over a year with no problems.

What kidn of problems did you have? Be specific please?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i bought them from robear racing...a good shop in SOCAL, ever since i bought them problem after problem. First off they stopped working after 3 days, relay went out, next the passenger side lense cracked, both bulbs went out, had to rewire the harness, then had to wire it again, my fog light switch went out and had to rewire it also...using a kragen switch...its been close to a year and i finally have them working normally...it was pain to deal with...i mean you can go ahead and buy the ebay ones...i'm sure some people have better luck than others, but i'd get the oem's...there just a little more than whaty our paying for the fogs on ebay...i've learned my lesson bro...go for quality...i know your trying to save as much money as possible but dont cheat yourself out...
Old 11-15-2006, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bmoua)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bmoua &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i bought them from robear racing...a good shop in SOCAL, ever since i bought them problem after problem. First off they stopped working after 3 days, relay went out, next the passenger side lense cracked, both bulbs went out, had to rewire the harness, then had to wire it again, my fog light switch went out and had to rewire it also...using a kragen switch...its been close to a year and i finally have them working normally...it was pain to deal with...i mean you can go ahead and buy the ebay ones...i'm sure some people have better luck than others, but i'd get the oem's...there just a little more than whaty our paying for the fogs on ebay...i've learned my lesson bro...go for quality...i know your trying to save as much money as possible but dont cheat yourself out...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Understandable, but the thing is, I don't HAVE the money for OEM's. I won't have the money until next summer when I get my fulltime summer job back. I have about $80 to spend. That's why I need the cheapest but best ones right now.

I'm thinking about buying PIAA's also from a local auto store (if they even sell em there). If they don't, I have to go with these eBay ones.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Understandable, but the thing is, I don't HAVE the money for OEM's. I won't have the money until next summer when I get my fulltime summer job back. I have about $80 to spend. That's why I need the cheapest but best ones right now.

I'm thinking about buying PIAA's also from a local auto store (if they even sell em there). If they don't, I have to go with these eBay ones.</TD></TR></TABLE>

haha aite bro...well dont get the piaa's...the oem styles look way better bro...good luck with things man..
Old 11-15-2006, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Any last minute input before I go through with it? I'm hoping to get it by next friday since I'm only home on break until next friday and since no one ships on sat/sun. Then back to school 250 miles where I am now.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

No last minute input?

Prolly gonna get the ones off JHPUSA
Old 11-15-2006, 05:04 PM

ive had my ebay ones for over a year and a half and have had absolutely zero problems with them. i changed the bulbs out after a year to some yellow luminics bulbs even though they did not need replaced. they work great, install is easy, quality is pretty good too.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:08 PM

ebay fogs are fine...

sometimes there is a rotten egg one.. but most of the time they work fine.

if you are thinking of running a higher wattage bulb in them, i recommend you to upgrade the power lines in the harness, but if your running stock it should be fine.

the power lines are basically the wires that go from the inside relay to the fogs out side, and the wire from the bat terminal to the fuse to the relay.

Why? because the power wire does get "warm to the touch" after running them for a while.

I think the wire from the bat-&gt;fuse-&gt; relay is big enough for higher wattage bulbs, and you can get away without replacing it; But i know for a fact that the thin wire that connects the inner harness with the outer harness gets warm.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bpr0422)

So if I get higher wattage bulbs, replace the wires? But if I buy new bulbs, same wattage, I'm okay?

And how do you go about replacing them? Just pop the back open and slip em in?
Old 11-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by amej8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No last minute input?

Prolly gonna get the ones off JHPUSA</TD></TR></TABLE>

these?
http://www.jhpusa.com/catalog/...=1089

they're the same price as the real one's i posted earlier
Old 11-15-2006, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (2coupes)

The ones in the PM link were like $300. Unless I was supposed to scroll around.

But actually, might be goin with eBay ones.

Agh damnit. I'm just not sure. This $140 for oem ones will dry me clean and I won't have money. But the thing is, eBay ones may not make it by next friday which is the last business day I'll be home.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

trust me,im liek u,i regreted it,wait the 60$ and work 3 days and get oem,its worth it,trust me,no knock offs
Old 11-15-2006, 06:11 PM

the depo/essue/raybrig/password:jdm compared to oem stuff... there really isn't much difference... even in the wiring.

the stock wiring uses thin wire also - i think it uses 18ga but it is S.A.E. approved and it's insulation operates optimally between the temperatures of
-29ºF to 194ºF and -34ºC to 90ºC, and has a copper core

i think the knock off ones have an aluminum core and have rubber tubing/looming that encases all the wiring, even though they may be using an 18ga wire - an aluminum core has more resistance than copper, and thus creates more heat.

IMO: OEM is overpriced and not worth the 60, when you can spend about 1 hr of work, and less than 20bucks for wiring that is better than OEM.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

replacing the wires isn't that easy...

i've heard of one case where the harness went to sh!tzors and melted all together - actually the only part that melted was the rubber looming around the wires, or so he says...

to replace the wires...

your are going to need to know how to solder, crimp, de-pin wires, use heat shrink tubing, electrical tape, etc..

basically you take the wires out of the loom, depin at the conecting points, and then replace the thin wire with the thicker wire, re-pin, reloom and your golden.

Below is an image of how the aftermarket system is wired up.

The wire that gets warm is the blue wire. however i suggest you change the blue and the gray (actual color is white) wires to a wire in the 16ga to 10ga size.

you can't just replace the wires that go to the fuse holder, so go to radio shack and buy a new atc fuse holder - they are nice and made out of rubber and use 10ga wiring...

i'm doing this to my harness around thanksgiving time - i'll post a how to around then. with pictures and everything

Modified by bpr0422 at 7:30 PM 11/15/2006

Modified by bpr0422 at 7:57 PM 11/15/2006

Quick Reply: eBay Foggies: Need Input (Link Inside)