Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Ebay exhaust kit questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay exhaust kit questions

I have a 98 Civic DX 5spd Sedan, and have the "apparently" common exhaust leak. I have a 7 month old son, and really dont want to take any more chances with him in the car with me, red light/stop signs...basically when I stop the fumes come into the car. I really need to get this problem fixed!

I know that ebay exhausts are really not the way to go when you want reliablility, I understand this! So my question is! The full kits that they sale on ebay, would that be a good temp fix until I can get my Megan setup that I want? Also, what is the fitment like? Do they fit pretty decent? I do not really have the time to be modifying something to get it to fit, I work roughly 50hrs a week. Then usually when I get home, I spend time with my wife and son...basically saying that I dont have time to do anything when I get off of work. This is going to have to be a 1 day thing, maybe even less than that.

All input is appreciated in this, I dont want to waste my money. Then again, I need to consider a temp fix for my families health.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:15 AM
If you loved me, you'd all sell me your magic cards to me today

Default Re: Ebay exhaust kit questions

Just buy an OEM exhaust, EBAY are junk for fitment and do not last long.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have an Ebay full exhaust kit on my Sol...the fitment wasn't bad for the price ($110ish for mandrel bent 2.25). But the muffler (Can Style) was stupid loud. I ended up switching to a magnaflow muffler (another 70 installed)

I would recommend taking your car to a decent exhaust shop and have them put together a custom system with your choice of muffler. Or just have them fix the leak for you.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

x2 magnaflow life warranty
Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have like $250 that I can spend on this thing, and that is with the new O2 sensors (if they are needed). I have to relocate the cat which mean one of the universal O2 sensors. So that is why I was thinking about the ebay kit. It is $175 w/ free shipping, and it comes with everything that I need to relocate the cat and get the car running. I can deal with the sound until I can get the Megan headers/downpipe and catback. Hell if I have to I will just run my OEM resignator pipe and use the headers and catback. Install the silencer and call it a day.

Does this sound like a good idea?
Old 01-23-2013, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Quick question, do the d16y7 and y8 maniolds mount up the same. Could I take a manifold/downpipe off of an EX Coupe Automatic and mount it to my d16y7? Take it to a shop and have them weld in a high flow cat and use the rest of my OEM setup?

That may be more cost effective!
Old 01-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yes they mount up the same, they just move your cat farther back. This however will not meet emissions regulations (I don't know if that an issue for you).

You will also need to reroute the O2 Sensor wires. But this can be done without cutting any wires. You just need to carefully peel back the harness until you can get the wires to reach

Also, if you have $250, it will be kind of tight to do everything. A magnaflow metallic cat is about $90 off of ebay, Magnaflow muffler is about $70ish. Ebay piping is another 120 or so. That is already $280 without any new O2 sensors (unless yours are bad already, you don't need to replace them.

Where is the leak? You can have a shop seal it up and I am willing to bet it will be much cheaper.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

stay away from ebay.. youll spend more time and $$ getting it to fit and paying the exhaust shop.
see about getting it fixed if time and $$ is an issue. 250 isnt a whole lot for any exhaust.

Local mom and pop exhaust shops usually do crush bends which suck for flow. Take a 2" pipe and crush bend it, its now a 1.65" pipe.

IF you arent planning on keeping it for a few years, then just put the bandaid on it and roll with it.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:17 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the y8 header will work fine, and there is no reason you wouldnt pass emissions (i do with the same setup.) ebay quality is better than it was 10 years ago, i have used their exhaust systems recently and havent had an issue. megan was born on ebay as well iirc, was just cheap knock off stuff.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Take the car to a local muffler shop and have the leak fixed wit the least amount of new parts needed to do it. Sounds like time is a essence , fastest way to get don't with out u haven to hassle around under car trying to rigg... Second .. Sounds don't waste ur hard earned $$$ on knock off ebay crap. Cheap materials all the way from cat back to ever nut and bolt giving in the exhaust kit , gaskets junk . Seen a ton of them eBay exhaust all sound crappy and even seen some that didn't bolt up with the parts in box....
Old 01-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Local shop do it right , save your kids mental capacity and brain cells
Old 01-23-2013, 02:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You all are hilarious. A stainless 2.25in pipe is a stainless 2.25in when it comes to exhausts.

I have an ebay header, cat, and catback on my 92 hatch. All bolt on, it all fits great. The only things I don't like about it is the header sits low, so it makes the whole exhaust sit low. And of course the fart cannon out back is loud. I knew it would be, which is why I bought a more quiet muffler to replace it with. I'm hoping when I put my ls/vtec in the header I have for that will sit higher.

I would get it. Just run the silencer till you can get a new muffler. Or just run it if you like it. I believe I got mine for 120 shipped, then 90 for the bolt in cat, and 60 or so for the muffler. I also have an ebay 3in catback on my DSM that fit even better and sounds great so I didn't have to change a thing. I've had it on there for 5 years and 3 winters with no rust and it still looks and sounds great. Got that exhaust for 200 shipped.

Edit: If you just want a temp fix, why not just get the leak fixed?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought an ebay exhaust for my ek hatch, piping is piping, and I am not spending stupid money for the same thing the people use on ebay. to quiet mine, i used a piece of crap pipe that fit throw my muffler, drilled about 8 holes in it and slid it over my silencer and bolted the silencer in. because i'm so low, i had to cut the bent above the rear LCS and extend it out 3" them back down, also had to put a flex pipe in. so i could get it from hitting the ground.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

we aren't saying go out and buy an Apexi or Skunk2 or Invidia or whatever. You are right, piping is piping.

I am in support of buying the Ebay system, but I think it may just be cheaper to get the problem fix at a muffler shop and leave the stock system in, or just get a custom system made and installed for a similar price.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:01 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's a simple leak, have your local exhaust shop fix it. It should be a simple, quick fix. If it isn't, identify where the leak is first before replacing the entire exhaust. A full exhaust replacement done right sourcing parts off eBay is time consuming.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

sorry for the late reply

the leak is the manifold itself. it is cracked right where the upstream o2 sensor mounts. i think that i am just going to buy the oem replacement, and call it a day. money just got tighter, and i dont have the money to do anything. maybe in 6 months things will start looking up, and i can actually afford to do the megan setup that i want. we shall see with time. thanks for all the info, i really need to get this thing rolling. i am tired of the smell!!!
Old 01-25-2013, 02:04 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

have temp. patched the same manifold with jb weld. they crack there all the time
Old 01-25-2013, 03:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, i heard that would possibly work. i know that i am going to have to try something. what kind of jb weld do i need? i am doing to cmc and the slave monday, so at least i can still drive it...but i am going to try to patch the hole. like i said, something needs to be done so i can at least haul my son back and forth to daycare without worrying if he is going to be subject to carbon monoxide poisoning. the damn dealer wont do anything about even though i through that card at them...lol! it is understandable though.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:27 PM
Stancetard Hate Monger

regular jb. it should be cracked where the o2 is
Old 01-27-2013, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If its a temp fix why not shouldn't hurt
Old 01-27-2013, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Kteller make good systems
Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea, i am going to patch it tomorrow. i did the math on the new oem replacement vs. the aftermarket ebay kit yesterday. after i receive the aftermarket kit and get the new cat installed with the new o2 sensors, it will be cheaper to go ahead and get the oem replacement manifold and new o2 sensors and not have any modification at all. plus, i will not have to worry about the down time with the aftermarket system (installation, cutting, welding, and it just takes too much money to do all that). something i can do in a couple hours vs something that i am going to have to install and then take somewhere else to get the modifications done to it.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so eghatch9295...regular jb weld will patch the crack up without any leaks for a few weeks? i heard that it will just basically melt off, blow a hole right through it, etc.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In my eyes, eBay exhaust is fine. Exhaust shops are usually HIGH for anything. I would buy the exhaust kit from eBay. Later on replace muffler and Header with a name brand one. I have used this exhaust set up with turbo builds and a stock motor and car. Only problem i have had is the header will crack at the welds.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:12 AM
Stancetard Hate Monger

nope, its cracked not a hole. itll work as a temporary fix. plus, its $5. wont break the bank, even if it doesnt work for you.

Quick Reply: Ebay exhaust kit questions