Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ebay deep dish steering wheel question

Old 03-23-2013, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 ebay deep dish steering wheel question

found this on ebay and its what i was looking for a smaller than stock deep dish steering wheel. im about 6'2" with long legs so i ended up getting a double bend shifter and hopefully this so i can scoot my seat back so my legs have room and still be able to reach the shifter and steering wheel without streaching.

anyway... does anyone have any experiance with this? im curious to know how good the adapter is i dont want it to snap off wile im driving. and how well it fits on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Honda...d57363&vxp=mtr
Old 03-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ebay deep dish steering wheel question

I don't have experience with those, but I hope you're joking. Avoid the ebay brand route. If you are looking to save money, try to find a used Nrg or Momo hub. I believe both NRG and Momo hubs are around $80 new, which really isn't that much. Or if you want to be a baller, you can get a Works Bell hub. I got my Momo hub used off ebay for $15 shipped.

As far as the steering wheel, if you are happy with a wheel that is cheap, won't last, probably bends when you push or pull on it, and will definitely bend in an accident, then go for it. For a smaller wheel, I would suggest a 320mm (~12.6 inches) or 330mm (~13.2 inches). Used sparco's, momo's, and nardi's can usually be had between $30-$200, depending on model, condition, style, etc. I currently have a Momo 320mm Monte Carlo wheel I picked up used on ebay for $96 shipped, and my 350mm Momo Champion wheel was $50 shipped.

On another note, I think you'll be fine. On of my friends is 6'7", 6'8" wearing his Doc Martens, he has driven my hatch before with both stock seat/stock wheel, and bucket seat/range of aftermarket steering wheels. His only issue is actually getting in and out of the car, driving is fine.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have drivin 2 civics with ebay wheels the only thing i noticed was that the hubs for the wheels rub on the stock steering culumn covers. so we needed to shave those out to make it fit/not rub. the wheels are solid no bending in iether of them i was plannin to order an ebay wheel eventually for cost but i have more important parts to get first lol
Old 03-23-2013, 03:34 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

EBAY IS NOT A BRAND!!
There is no way to guarantee that the steering wheels you used are of the same manufacture and materials as this one. As with this piece of off-brand merchandise I suggest you do not recommend this one as if you have experience with it.

Maybe check the video of the guy bending up an Ebay bought steering wheel like it was tin foil while it was mounted to the steering column before endorsing it.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nateasham
i have drivin 2 civics with ebay wheels the only thing i noticed was that the hubs for the wheels rub on the stock steering culumn covers. so we needed to shave those out to make it fit/not rub. the wheels are solid no bending in iether of them i was plannin to order an ebay wheel eventually for cost but i have more important parts to get first lol
You get what you pay for, end of story. I had an ebay wheel when I first got my car, I had my cheap *** "ebay" phase of crap parts, I learned fast to buy quality parts instead of ****. My wheel bent quite easily. I have driven a few civics, a few integras, two 240sx's, a 350z, and a miata, all with ebay steering wheels. ALL were shitty quality, I bent every single one of my buddies' steering wheels to prove a point (they weren't too happy). And why not buy a hub that fits the first time, $80 really isn't that much.

Example:
Nardi stress test
Old 03-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

im am sorry i in no way was "recememending" anyone to go with an ebay bought wheel. nor meant to imply it was a brand. was simply stating i have drivin in two that were purchased from ebay that were solid. but was more so mentioning about the hub rubbing as my concern. no offence meant anywhere to anyone. new to the forums if i shouldnt have posted that i plan on getting one off of ebay in the same post again i appoligize.

and thank you for that video post i have been swayed. i shal no longer consider buying a steering wheel from anywhere but a local shop where i can feel it first.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
EBAY IS NOT A BRAND!!

Correction: The cheap "ebay" route.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You'll run into issues with the horn wiring with the e-bay junk. been there done that as for bending mine didn't(guess i got a good one) that being said that was on my first car when i was young and didn't know much.