Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

EBAY BEWARE

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 07:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default EBAY BEWARE

GUYS LISTEN UP THIS IS A SERIOUS PROBLEM... i ordered a water temp gauge from ebay. i went to install the temp sensor and it snapped,broke right in the damn hole and most of it was already in.... THEY USE CHEAP MATERIALS beware because it will cost you double to buy,repair what got damage and then buy the proper item...

some sellers on ebay sell things for cheap!!! thats the first beware. the second beware is a seller that ships international due to the fact they make more sales and that means more bootleg parts will get sent out... DONT BUY CERTAIN PARTS FROM EBAY exhaust headers things like that is fine... but sensors that get bolted into your engine... think again about buying it
i am just looking out for all the honda people that just keep putting money into theirs cars and have a lot of problems. i myself have a troubled project car that it doesnt matter what it is or anything.. theres always a problem with my project
Old 05-22-2010, 08:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: EBAY BEWARE

no it is not a ebay prob it is buyer porb being cheap u get what u pay for
Old 05-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

lmaoooooooooo i know i just didnt want to buy the water temp from the local auto parts store because i thought it was pricey.. turns out it was more expensive on ebay. over all the point is not ebay sellers are good sellers.. i bish at the seller and he busted out with oh my sorry that happened im going to give you a refund right now go to your paypal account.. as soon as he said it i already had the money into my account. some sellers would argue about it but he knew the part was bootleg thats why he didnt care about me keeping the product
Old 05-22-2010, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

eBay is simply a site where different companies or individuals can sell items. eBay itself does NOT sell you the items. I have purchased numerous items from eBay, but the difference is I buy quality parts from reputable sellers.

I'm going to venture and guess that you purchased a generic, cheap water temp gauge from a random seller. The old saying, "you get what you pay for" applies here. For the millionth time, eBay does not sell you junk, blame yourself for being too cheap for quality. If you purchased the gauge through a reputable company, then they should reimburse you.

Cliffs: Buy quality parts
Old 05-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no ****, so you bought a $3 gauge on ebay and it wasn't the best quality piece money could buy?!

Old 05-22-2010, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

actually no it was 19 and the shipping was like 4 bucks.. yes i know its not ebay that sells the things. its companies and private sellers that sell it. either way ive came across a few problems.... EVEN PAYING TOP DOLLAR FOR NAME BRAND PARTS AND IVE GOTTEN BOOTLEG NON BRAND PARTS!!!! ebay is just there to make sure they make the money and take care of complaints
Old 05-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the gauge itself isn't broken.. its the metal temp sensor that goes into the head that broke and it broke in the head
Old 05-22-2010, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by forcefedferio
no ****, so you bought a $3 gauge on ebay and it wasn't the best quality piece money could buy?!

LOL
Old 05-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I only by **** from eBay that a ape in a cage from oversees couldn't screw up
Old 05-22-2010, 10:07 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Do your research. There are a LOT of reputable Ebay sellers. I don't buy from anyone with less than 99.6% positive feedback or better. Check the feedback given by buyers. Does the seller respond to negative feedback left by sellers? If not then don't buy from them as their communication is probably non-existent. How long have they been a seller? If you want quality, even on Ebay. you have to pay for it. If you wanna cheap out and try and save a buck then you get what you deserve. ESPECIALLY with car parts! I have nearly 1000 successful transactions on Ebay and I've been using it for about 10 years now following these guidelines.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that sucks next time dont be that cheap now u learn
Old 05-22-2010, 11:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i only by parts on ebay from power sellers and i always look through their feedback before buying something.
Old 05-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude just looking at the price didnt that tell you anything about how long it will last? 19 dollers for a water temp gage? seriously thats about as cheap as it gets
Old 05-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Global Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

unfortunately.. you get what you pay for.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:34 PM
pm4nudes

nice...you made these monsters richer
Old 05-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by *thecivickid*
dude just looking at the price didnt that tell you anything about how long it will last? 19 dollers for a water temp gage? seriously thats about as cheap as it gets
Speaking of quality...I am running a $19 harbor freight boost guage lol. It is working fine. I even have a blitz DD turbo timer that digitally dispays the boost in kpa, that I used for a while but switched back to the cheap SOB. I don't see why someone would pay 19 for a guage...wait and the snap it off when they could have picked the same quality from harbor freight lol.

And to the OP did you over torque it to break it? Just wondering.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cheap is cheap, dont skimp on 5 bucks extra just because you can ebay the item and find it cheaper.

buy brand name. apply this idea to, oh say a timing belt. if it breaks your ****ed, and you spend more money fixing what you broke because you were cheap...

cheap is cheap. not cost effective, or thrifty, cheap.

this reminds me of the knock off Greddy blow off valves that would seize up and blow like 60lbs of boost through the motor. about 3000 sold in a week, all because of cheap...
Old 05-22-2010, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by xero_xero
cheap is cheap, dont skimp on 5 bucks extra just because you can ebay the item and find it cheaper.

buy brand name. apply this idea to, oh say a timing belt. if it breaks your ****ed, and you spend more money fixing what you broke because you were cheap...

cheap is cheap. not cost effective, or thrifty, cheap.

this reminds me of the knock off Greddy blow off valves that would seize up and blow like 60lbs of boost through the motor. about 3000 sold in a week, all because of cheap...
Explain to me how a non-functioning diverter valve would blow 60 psi through your engine. You said seize up, as in not open, which would divert the pressure out through the turbo and not push 60 psi through your engine.

I think you are confusing it with a faulty wastegate.

I currently have a knockoff Greddy RS and a real Greddy and the Greddy leaked and the Ebay BOV works great and lets off boost. On the other hand, I have a turbonectics wastegate because you don't skimp on that ****. If the wastegate malfuntions then you have 60+ psi running through your engine....believe me its happened to me when the wastegate boost line somehow fell off and the turbo boosted to the moon, luckily ifyou are smart (and do what I did) you turn your car off and roll to a stop so you dont blow your motor.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im still not the one who is stuck with a crappy part that will fail. reguardless on my knowledge of turbo setups at all, he still bought a cheap part, which has no warranty because it shipped from over seas.

cheap is cheap.

you even said it yourself "On the other hand, I have a turbonectics wastegate because you don't skimp on that ****. If the wastegate malfuntions then you have 60+ psi running through your engine....believe me its happened to me when the wastegate boost line somehow fell off and the turbo boosted to the moon, luckily ifyou are smart (and do what I did) you turn your car off and roll to a stop so you dont blow your motor. "

so, skimp on what you like.

buy from a place where you can handle the quality. or just simply post "I ****ED UP, BOUGHT A CHEAP PART NOW IM PAYING EVEN MORE FOR IT"
Old 05-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the advice on the sellers feedback. i actually went to a local auto parts store and the gauges was less than 15 bucks so i figured i can get a better gauge for a few bucks more. so i ended up paying 19 with the total and the temp sensor that you screw into the head was 80% in already then it just snapped. i contacted the buyer and he gave me a full refund and to keep the product since i complained big time... thing is now i am stuck with a broken water temp that couldnt read the temp and is a possible water leak so how can i take it off????
Old 05-23-2010, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"im still not the one who is stuck with a crappy part that will fail."- well if it fails I will be surprised. The only BOV's that I would be worried about is the crappy knock-off syncronic BOV's. Synapse (forgot how you spell that) patened the syncronic and now Im seeing Ebay style BOV's that scare me.

I have a friend running full ebay kits and nothing bad so far....even with those crappy wstegates. It really just depends on the batch for most parts just like anything else. For example, (sort of related) bought a laptop from Best Buy a while ago, thing blew up in 4 days. When I took it back there was a man in front of me with the same laptop same problem. Turns out that the whole batch had certain problems; this proves that ebay is not bad...JUST WATCH WHAT YOU BUY.

" i contacted the buyer and he gave me a full refund and to keep the product since i complained big time... thing is now i am stuck with a broken water temp that couldnt read the temp and is a possible water leak so how can i take it off???? "

Im very glad they gave you a refund, and im surprised. The product probably had instructions that said "professional installion required" so that it takes the liability off of them ($$$$ wise) when YOU install and break it...but glad that was not the case.

As for the broken temp sensor....the stud that snapped off inside is solid or has a hole in the middle? If its solid you will have to drill, and use a stud extractor. But you have to be cautious that nothing (metal flakes) goes inside that perty engine. If it was hollow it would be easy, just tap a stud extractor in and turn out. If you cant get it a machine shop can do it easy for around twenty dollars. (I snapped a stud on the oil return to my turbo, broke a stud extractor off inside trying to get it out, and took it to them and $20)

G.L.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree that ebay is not the problem. It's the buyer trying to get stuff for cheap. Cheap = ****. Put it this way... If you have a 10 pair of pliers from "Master Mechanic" made from "High-Quality" Chinese Steel and a 80 dollar pair from Snap-On made from "High-Quality" American Steel which will last longer?

Do a search on the internet and you'll see how horrible Chinese steel really is. I've got a few charts on my laptop about it from when I was researching knives.

Anyone can put items on e-Bay... All you're really doing is buying almost the same product that you'd buy at PepBoys or Autozone for around the same price, maybe a little cheaper if the seller purchases a larger batch. You really do get what you pay for.

The only thing that really bothers me these days is how sellers see that they're not getting the price the want and cancel the auction hours before it's over.

On the good side, I love how e-Bay/Paypal have implemented the refunds for fraudulent items.. such as watches claiming to be real, but turned out to be fake. I wish they had that around 4 years ago when I was buying my girlfriend, now fiance, a Movado. The battery died, I took it to the jewelry to get it replaced and not even 15 minutes later I got a call for him saying that it was a fake and just had a Movado face over a Guess one or some ****. I still paid a decent amount for it... Around 300 bucks. Went through paypal to try and get a refund as well as ebay, but they bullshitted about it and denied the claims... So, I'm happy they implemented it, just 4 years too late.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Did u overtighten the sending unit, there not very durable to begin with. if you man handled it, thats probbly why it broke.

I can brake a OEM honda Sending unit with one hand and a box end.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:19 AM
PSU
formerly DxHatchback

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can't even take this post seriously.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ebay not safe no more with all the knockoff parts

Quick Reply: EBAY BEWARE