Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Easy motor swaps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy motor swaps?

Hello, I have a '93 Civic DX (D15b7). The engine in it is about to go. I need to throw another engine in it. I'm having a hard time finding any D15b7's in my area that dont have 200+ thousand miles. What other engines would be pretty straight forward swaps. I'm probably going to be paying someone else to do it for me so I'd like the swap to be as easy as possible. Thanks in advance for any info/help.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Easy motor swaps?

rebulid ur. or gor for a d16z6 or d16y8 and if u have a jdm shop around ur area u can get d15b vtec for 599 or 3stage vtec for 699. or u can go for ls swap its some what plug and play
Old 01-30-2012, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what exactly is about to go on it?
Old 01-30-2012, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jestin91
rebulid ur. or gor for a d16z6 or d16y8 and if u have a jdm shop around ur area u can get d15b vtec for 599 or 3stage vtec for 699. or u can go for ls swap its some what plug and play
what's a "JDM" shop?..
Old 01-30-2012, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by flmzero13
what's a "JDM" shop?..
Japanese Domestic Market (JDM).

everything made/imported to japan is referred to as JDM Parts. (example: Honda Civic Type R)

same goes with anything made/imported to the united states (USDM)

with most things automotive, especially honda's (obviously being a japanese company) nearly everything JDM is superior and even the in places like Europe (EDM) and Australian (AUDM) are still better especially in the engine category mainly because the much stricter safety and emissions standards in america.

for example you would get more stock horsepower out of a JDM B16 than a USDM B16.

these shops have distributors over seas that ship parts to america, for hardcore fans or who want the very best.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:10 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by honda_civic1993
Hello, I have a '93 Civic DX (D15b7). The engine in it is about to go. I need to throw another engine in it. I'm having a hard time finding any D15b7's in my area that dont have 200+ thousand miles. What other engines would be pretty straight forward swaps. I'm probably going to be paying someone else to do it for me so I'd like the swap to be as easy as possible. Thanks in advance for any info/help.
Most D-series engines from 1992-2000 Civics will fit in there no problem. To be legal it needs to be the year of your car or newer.

There are also B-series engines in the 1999-2000 Civic Si, 1994-1997 del Sol VTEC, Integras, and CRVs that will fit in there, as will H-series engines from Preludes.

The cheapest swaps would be another D-series from another Civic though.

I put a 2000 GSR (B-series DOHC Integra engine) into a 1998 Civic EX (came with a D-series SOHC) and it was extraordinarily easy though. Pricier than a D for sure.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Shaunathan

these shops have distributors over seas that ship parts to america, for hardcore fans or who want the very best.
exactly these "JDM' shop's only exist in japan. not in America. which i think the OP is from...
Old 01-30-2012, 09:31 PM
H-T White Ops

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jestin91
I believe what this guy means when he says "JDM shop" is a tuner shop. That is, a garage that modifies cars, specifically focusing on Hondas, Toyotas, Subarus, Nissans, etc.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you want the easiest and most streight forward, i would drop in a d16z6... everything bolts right up and you really dont "need" to change anything..

What i mean by "need" is that it would be advised to change the engine computer... the one you have will work, but the z6 is a VTEC engine and you ecu will not be able to use it. You would just need to swap out yours for a p28 ECU and get a vtec conversion harness (cleanest look, other than changing the whole harness) That harness is just 2 wires, one for the VTEC solenoid and the other for a oil pressure switch, just run them through the firewall and hook them into the ECU plugs... should be able to find a thread somewhere on it, as thats what i had to do to mine.

Personally, if you are mechanically inclined... unless the z6 has really low miles, i would rebuild it anyway before dropping it in, just to be on the safe side..... of course, i would also do a proper build in it... but thats a different story =p
Old 01-31-2012, 01:38 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

The question is how much do you want to spend? If you just want a replacement why not look at 96-00 D16Y7 engines. You can reuse all your stock ECU, manifolds, distributor, injectors, and alternator and will probably be able to find lower miles. If you want to spend a little more you can use the D16Z6 but you'll want to make sure you pick up the ECU and distributor for it if it has it. Those are the two easiest without ordering a motor.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by flmzero13
exactly these "JDM' shop's only exist in japan. not in America. which i think the OP is from...
no, JDM shops exist in america, they get shippments from japan businesses to sell to american customers, they are pretty much a middle man. they are into hardcore proformance and carry brands like honda, nissan, toyotas, ect
Old 01-31-2012, 09:14 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NOFX
Most D-series engines from 1992-2000 Civics will fit in there no problem. To be legal it needs to be the year of your car or newer.

There are also B-series engines in the 1999-2000 Civic Si, 1994-1997 del Sol VTEC, Integras, and CRVs that will fit in there, as will H-series engines from Preludes.

The cheapest swaps would be another D-series from another Civic though.

I put a 2000 GSR (B-series DOHC Integra engine) into a 1998 Civic EX (came with a D-series SOHC) and it was extraordinarily easy though. Pricier than a D for sure.
Originally Posted by vartok
if you want the easiest and most streight forward, i would drop in a d16z6... everything bolts right up and you really dont "need" to change anything..

What i mean by "need" is that it would be advised to change the engine computer... the one you have will work, but the z6 is a VTEC engine and you ecu will not be able to use it. You would just need to swap out yours for a p28 ECU and get a vtec conversion harness (cleanest look, other than changing the whole harness) That harness is just 2 wires, one for the VTEC solenoid and the other for a oil pressure switch, just run them through the firewall and hook them into the ECU plugs... should be able to find a thread somewhere on it, as thats what i had to do to mine.

Personally, if you are mechanically inclined... unless the z6 has really low miles, i would rebuild it anyway before dropping it in, just to be on the safe side..... of course, i would also do a proper build in it... but thats a different story =p
Originally Posted by HondaPartsHero
The question is how much do you want to spend? If you just want a replacement why not look at 96-00 D16Y7 engines. You can reuse all your stock ECU, manifolds, distributor, injectors, and alternator and will probably be able to find lower miles. If you want to spend a little more you can use the D16Z6 but you'll want to make sure you pick up the ECU and distributor for it if it has it. Those are the two easiest without ordering a motor.
These are the only posts you should be paying attention to.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anything obd1. Plug an chug
Old 01-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My ls swap was easy. I even used my factory civic harness. Just changed the altenator,dizzy,and intake manifold.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@HondaPartsHero I'm not looking to spend too much. This is just my back and forth to work car. I drive 50 mins to work everyday. Gas milage is more important than power in my case. I'm looking for whatever is mostly plug and play. I definitely like the sound of the D16y7 and the D16z6. I will look into see if I can find any of these in my area. Sounds like it would be pretty straightforward correct? Will all my accessories off of my D15b7 bolt on to either of these new engines?
Old 01-31-2012, 04:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.sunrisejdmmotors.com/engi...p?id=97&page=4
Will this engine go in my car easily? It's only $350!
Old 01-31-2012, 04:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by honda_civic1993
http://www.sunrisejdmmotors.com/engi...p?id=97&page=4
Will this engine go in my car easily? It's only $350!
it should... i dont know much about the VTEC-E engines... only they they went in the VXs IIRC and they got the best gas millage due to the "lean burn" mode they had... but again, to use that properly, you will need the correct ECU andy they generally run around $100. Any more info than that would need to come from another member
Old 01-31-2012, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@Jmaze its burning a lot of oil ( 1 quart every 150 mi!), the rings are shot on it. At least thats what a mechanic friend of mine told me, he tested it. Which is weird because the motor only has 100,000 mi on it. Anyway I was getting on it a few days ago passing someone and now it's running like **** and it sounds like somethings knocking in there. I just figured it about to commit suicide. I guess I dont really know what going on with it, but it sure doesnt sound good.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does anyone have more info on the D15b Vtec-e engine? I've been reading more about it and I'm very interested due to the MPG numbers since I drive so much to work and I found one for so cheap. Is it an easy swap into my '93 dx? I found an ECU already and am ready to buy it if it's an easy swap. Any info is appreciated! Thanks guys!
Old 01-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

After doing more reading the JDM D15B VTEC-E is the same as the USDM D15Z1. Does that help anyone shed anymore light on how easy it would be to swap this into my '93 DX?
Old 01-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

It's not a particularly hard swap but there are a few things unique to a VX swap.

1. The fuel feed line needs to come from a VX, it's weird at the fuel rail end because it has to curve around the EGR valve, the one on the engine will most likely be cut.
  2. The EGR valve, you'll need to wire this in.
  3. The O2 sensor, VXs used a 5 wire wideband O2 sensor, the one on the engine will be almost surely damaged. These are very expensive, figure on spending what you paid for the engine for a replacement. Also, the VX ECU is very picky about the O2 sensor, most of the aftermarket ones don't work right, and it's directly related to the VXs fuel economy, so is the exhaust manifold.
  4. The ECU, the VX engine requires a P07 ECU
Other random notes, the D15Z1 makes 10hp less than the D15B7 that's in there now if that matters to you. Also, pairing it with the shorter geared DX transmission will net worse fuel mileage than with the correct long geared VX transmission. (other note, if your car is an automatic forget this swap because automatic P07s don't exist)

Further side note, I bought my D15B Vtec from sunrise a few years ago and haven't had any issues with it yet (I put over 100,000kms on it since I bought it)
Old 01-31-2012, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh. Thats good to know. Mine is an automatic so thats out fo the question. Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll probably be going with the D16z6 I found for 500 bucks. Sounds like the best option at this point. I found an ECU already on Ebay for about $100.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats your best bet going with the z6 all you will have to do is wire up the vtec to the ecu plugs
Old 02-01-2012, 01:38 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Make sure you get the Auto ECU as well for the Z6. Sounds a bit pricey though unless the miles are low.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It has 100,000 miles on it and it's says it's been tested and comes with a 90 day warranty. $500 is over priced?

Quick Reply: Easy motor swaps?