Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

An easy idea to protect your cars from theves.

Old 03-25-2002, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An easy idea to protect your cars from theves.

With all the cars being stolen, I thought i would share what i do. I have a good security system and i promise no one is going to drive away in my car But then you have the issue of a flat bed truck taking your car away. To prevent this i always park with my front end facing a solid object so the truck will not be able to hook up the the front of the car. Then i put on the e-brake and turn my wheels to the far left or right also leaving the car out of gear. If a truck trys to pull my car on its bed the car will steer its way to the side. Where are the loop holes in my idea??
Old 03-25-2002, 12:20 PM

Default Re: An easy idea to protect your cars from theves. (fire7882)

When they tow your car, i think they pop your door open too.
Old 03-25-2002, 12:27 PM

Default Re: An easy idea to protect your cars from theves. (1.8 HB)

yea but if your steeriing wheel is locked, that won't matter, right???
Old 03-25-2002, 12:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

beat the car with a bat so nobody will want to steal it.
Old 03-25-2002, 12:30 PM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Out of gear? I don't understand that part.
Old 03-25-2002, 12:32 PM

Default Re: An easy idea to protect your cars from theves. (GoLowDrew)

another good thing is too get the club and place it between the shifter and e-brake
when they tried to jack my car
that was the only think stoppin them...
everything else they beat

[Modified by MaDHatcHeR, 9:32 PM 3/25/2002]
Old 03-25-2002, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: An easy idea to protect your cars from theves. (GoLowDrew)

Honda's are known for there light weight.

Who actually steals cars on there own? ****, drag it close, pick the front up and set it right and then drag the damn thing onto the bed. Who cares what happens to the tires when your getting the car.
Old 03-25-2002, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: An easy idea to protect your cars from theves. (Spade)

How they tow cars in AZ is, they jack the car up and put this
dolly like thing with little wheels on it under ur front wheels, so
they can move it regardless of how ur wheels are turned.

THe tool they use looks like a jack with wheels that grips ur tire
and lifts it off the ground, while they can move the car with their
jacks.

It's hard to explain how they do it, but ur can be towed.
Old 03-25-2002, 12:55 PM
dAng!

Default Re: An easy idea to protect your cars from theves. (captainJDM)

get airbags or air cylinders. set the bitch on the ground. they might end up vandalizing it though. course, doubt they'd want to try and move it, it'd be too much of a hassle.

put the car on blocks.
get that system to where you can lock your brakes with the turn of a key.
remove your radio/faceplate
get that lock that goes under the brake pedal.
lock the steering wheel, use that bar thing.
leave a snake in the car.
install the flamethrower thing.
put an electrical charge to the exterior of the car.
dont leave any valuables in plain sight.
leave thumbtacks in your seat.
use alarm systems, preferably one that can track your car or shut it down at the touch of a button.

and last but not least:
leave it at home in a lead-lined room.
Old 03-25-2002, 01:04 PM

Default Re: An easy idea to protect your cars from theves. (Black Light)

OK i guess nothing will stop my car from being stolen. The part about leaving it out of gear was so that the wheels would still roll. If they are locked then they can be drug in a strait line. It dosn't matter anyway because as i can tell, nothing is going to keep my car from being jacked. Well thanks for enlightening me about the truth.
Old 03-25-2002, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

NP. Just remember, that blinking LED is about the best friend you can have.....most thieves will just walk to the next car if they see an LED.
Old 03-25-2002, 02:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: An easy idea to protect your cars from theves. (Black Light)

my friend had a HUGE electrical charge hooked to his car..took him a year to get it all working. it would warn you if you got close, tell you to get back or you will be shocked if you touch the car...i mean, it TOLD you what would happen very loudly. well some theif still tried to break in, it shocked him GOOD (hehe) stopped his heart and he died. well the family of the THEIF sued my friend for a million bucks and WON.
Old 03-25-2002, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

your idea is good. but cars thieves are just like us if we can think of a way to prevent theft, they'll think of a way to bypass it. as for your idea of parking it close to an object and turning the wheel at full lock left or right. it's been done. some more successful than others. any tow truck driver knows how to bypass that easily. i will not discuss how it's done because of obvious reasons. good luck in your persuit of the ultimate theft prevention...
Old 03-25-2002, 02:27 PM

Default Re: An easy idea to protect your cars from theves. (hot_EF)

I hate that kinda stuff, I hope the family who sued and won goes and touches the car too.
Old 03-25-2002, 02:49 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

There are ways in which you guys should guard your cars man, and this is stuff that only the MOST determined theif might not want to fool with.

1. NEVER leave your car unattended out of your sight. I know it sounds stupid, but this is what it comes to. When I go out to eat, I always sit in plain sight of my car, and even if it pisses off the people I'm eating with I always look over at my car every few seconds or so. By the time I see someone even stepping to my car I will run out there and "get something I left" out of the car.

2. If you have another car/beater, take THAT to the movies, or any other event that requires you to leave your car alone in a big-*** parking lot.

3. IF you have a garage, ALWAYS park it in it! NEVER get too lazy even if you come home late or something to just open up the door and pull the car in. The ONE time you don't could be the very time your car gets stolen. I lock my car in with a padlock on the inside too.

4. NEVER let too many people know where you live if possible. I don't tell people where I live. They *might* know the area, but I don't tell them what street and stuff. Only my closest friends know where I live.

5. LO-JACK! Hope fully even if your car gets ripped you can locate it before it's stripped down.

6. Even less important is an alarm. It MIGHT help draw attention as the car is being stolen if the theif doesn't bypass it somehow.

7. Get FULL coverage insurance! This way if all is truly lost you can have some money to start over with.

8. TAKE lots of pictures of ALL your mods! Write down ALL the serial numbers of your stuff - even add hidden stamps or heat tabs and take pics of those. And keep all of your reciepts of your purchases. If you get full coverage these things will help you get the money you deserve to REPLACE YOU car just how it was, and not just get a stockie beater that's the same year model.

9. Take all the usual precautions as well - you know, park the car on a curb with the wheel locked towards the curb, park in well-lit areas, don't leave valuables in plain sight, etc. These things do not really prevent the thief from taking the car, but it will help deter them.

11. And as far as this MB goes, unless you KNOW where your car is at ALL times I would NOT post up pics and then list all the mods on the car. If somebody has seen your car before in your hometown, and then they see ALL the mods listed here, it might be too temting to either steal the car or pay somebody else to.

12. *EDIT* Oh, and also here's a neato thing to do. Buy a new ignition switch that has a DIFFERENT key than your doors. This will help keep certain people from stealing your poo poo, like former owners of the car and whatnot.

13 *EDIT* Another suggestion I've also seen, and done myself, is pull certain fuses that disable the car from being cranked. There's an "ACG" fuse under the dash, "ECU" fuse under the hood, etc. You can also pull the ECU itself out, or as someone else suggested put a "dummy ECU" in the car. Get a poo pooy burned up ECU and gut it out and plug it in when you leave the car. These will make the car harder to DRIVE away, but towtrucks will always be a threat.

14. *EDIT* Also, NEVER hit VTEC or drive fast near your home. If you've got stereo stuff, turn it off when you get anywhere near your home. People around you notice these things and it would be an easy target because it's close and they can watch your patterns at home - thus making it an even easier target.

Ultimately I think if someone is hell-bent on stealing your car, they will end up with it. That's why Lo-Jack and full coverage come in handy. I know you might be saying that it's too expensive to get full coverage, or that Lo-Jack costs too much Jack, but THINK about how much money is invested on your car. ALL could be lost without these things.

Old 03-25-2002, 03:42 PM

Default Re: An easy idea to protect your cars from theves. (B18C5-EH2)

if a thief wants your car bad enough, theres nothing that can stop him. best way to prevent thieves is abstenance (sp?) i'm not talking sex here, but i mean like dont go around telling people what you got. my friends sister had a party over at her house this one time, and he bumped his system real loud to show off to her friends... it got stolen the following night.

i know its not tow truck guy related, but i felt like posting anyway!
Old 03-25-2002, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: An easy idea to protect your cars from theves. (sushibug)

if a thief wants your car bad enough, theres nothing that can stop him. best way to prevent thieves is abstenance (sp?) i'm not talking sex here, but i mean like dont go around telling people what you got. my friends sister had a party over at her house this one time, and he bumped his system real loud to show off to her friends... it got stolen the following night.

i know its not tow truck guy related, but i felt like posting anyway!
By FAR the best advice yet... believe me.. if a thief wants your car... he wont steal it from you... he'll TAKE it from you. Its all about how bad he wants it... any car can be stolen.. ANY!!! Its all about keeping your mouth shut and not letting anyone know what you have.