Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Easy Help. 96 Civic GSR swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easy Help. 96 Civic GSR swap

Ok, so I'm going to come clean in the fact that I bought my car swapped but being in college at the time, it saved effort, ha ha. Now that I got that out of the way, down to business.

Anyway, the exhaust that is currently attached is an Apexi N1 and I want to replace it and possibly all the piping from the manifold back, so header, res, muffler, and everything in between.

My first questions is do I go about buying a system for a GSR or for a civic or do I buy the header for a GSR and use the civic system due to hangers?

Second question, could I just buy a WS2 and bolt it up from axle back, again do I order for a GSR or Civic?

Third question, would it be economically sound to have a shop weld an axle back with the current piping, adding the header later, using a Vibrant Flat black but using the Apexi piping from the axle to then manifold.

Newbie questions I know but I just have to clarify before I buy parts.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Easy Help. 96 Civic GSR swap

Keep your piping if it's good, get a WS2 axle back for a Civic. And yes, add the header later if you don't want to spend the $ now.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ha least one out of many was able to give a decent answer. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2009, 04:06 PM

if your car is an civic you need a civic exhaust and gsr header .
Old 08-19-2009, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by infinitypro12
Ok, so I'm going to come clean in the fact that I bought my car swapped but being in college at the time, it saved effort, ha ha. Now that I got that out of the way, down to business.

Anyway, the exhaust that is currently attached is an Apexi N1 and I want to replace it and possibly all the piping from the manifold back, so header, res, muffler, and everything in between.

My first questions is do I go about buying a system for a GSR or for a civic or do I buy the header for a GSR and use the civic system due to hangers?

Second question, could I just buy a WS2 and bolt it up from axle back, again do I order for a GSR or Civic?

Third question, would it be economically sound to have a shop weld an axle back with the current piping, adding the header later, using a Vibrant Flat black but using the Apexi piping from the axle to then manifold.

Newbie questions I know but I just have to clarify before I buy parts.

Thanks!
For your first question, you always buy a catback system for the car you intend on driving and not for the motor. So in your case for a civic

Second question, Yes you can just buy a ws2 axle back and bolt it onto the existing piping but that's if the original owner tried to keep the piping the same length as a stock civic piping and if he actually had the shop weld it all together or not. It depends on what you have. Again you will order it for the car you intend to drive and not the motor so get a ws2 civic exhaust

Third question, yes it would save more money but I would rather get the ws2 exhaust instead of using a vibrant flat black exhaust in my opinion. Dont spend money on a apexi ws2 exhaust system just to use the piping. Its too expensive. Another alternative is to get a cheap ebay catback system, get rid of the big exhaust, and invest in a ws2 exhaust or a vibrant flat black exhaust. You will still need a cat converter but the integra gsr headers will bolt perfect straight to the catback without a cat on the civic because its longer. Trust me I did this to my civic a while back with no problems.
Old 08-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Both of you, scholars and gentlemen, ha ha. I think that answers my questions for now. I am going to research between the WS2, Vibrant, and NOIR and find out which sound I like better (at this moment it is the vibrant) but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a black muffler just to keep it "low profile." The N1 is way too loud for over all. Thanks.