Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

East coast Ej1 build: MR '95 Ex coupe LS/Vtec project...LOTS of pics! slow modems beware

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default East coast Ej1 build: MR '95 Ex coupe LS/Vtec project...LOTS of pics! slow modems beware

Well I missed my old '95 coupe so much I finally broke down and bought another one. I always loved the red ones (though I loved my horizon gray one just as much) so after about 5 months of searching I finally found one that suited my standards, which is higher than most around here for to say the least. From 5 feet away the car looks great but up close there are lots of little dings and imperfections but it's not that bad really for a 13-1/2 year old car, the main reason I bought it was the low mileage, perfectly clean VIN!, and all the extras it came with.

Pretty much every thing installed on this car was installed either incorrectly and or ghetto so I had/have a lot of work ahead of me but hey, that's cool cause that's what I love about these cars.....so easy to modify and work on It has a '99 LS motor in it matted to a B16 trans and I just so happen to have an extra Vtec head on hand so needless to say LS/Vtec in inevitable. I'll be doing all kinds of performance up grades, custom mods and who knows what else but I'll catalog it all here including how-to's and diagrams of what ever I do. Well on to the pics and first phase of mods I've already done

Here's the pics I took of it the day I brought it home and the next few days after before I actually cleaned it up and did some work to it.

other than the slips I put on it due to not having wheels this is how I brought her home on 9-11-08

Ugly, cheap, ghetto lights that don't fit at all....gotta go

GSR Leathers included...too bad there gray

Messy LS swap

Playing with fire, covers not even installed!

Low *** miles!

pure Hotness, authentic fake mugen floor mats at least they're pretty thick and durable

The improper way to install a DC armrest in an EG, is there even a right way?

OE 99-00 civic Si wing, I actually like how this looks on the EG

even the trunk was complete

Ek side skirts flared out also from improper install. shame shame shame

As if it were meant to be

That's it for all the "before pics"

Last edited by VtecSyndrome; 07-14-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: East coast Ej1 build: MR '95 Ex coupe LS/Vtec project...LOTS of pics! slow modems beware (VtecSy

1st order of business was to clean the hell out of the interior, gotta start fresh

I did my first phase of repairs/installs last week:
before grille install

All done and looking nice

new toys

All jacked up in "the shop"

Old and busted exhaust before removal (sounded like absolute ****)

New hotness, GReddy EVO2 and Hytech replica header

Old blown struts and shot LCA bushings

New tokico 5 ways with skunk2 lower control arms. got some cheap coilovers on there now since I had them laying around and they don't ride to bad with the tokicos.

the drums will be off soon enough, I already have the rear discs laying around, just needs some work

Had to put in a new battery already, at least it matches

clutch hydraulic line mount bracket, was not there when I bought it

Much more to come as soon as time allows, parts are starting to pile up now.........

Last edited by VtecSyndrome; 07-14-2012 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking very nice, clean! Keep it up!! More pics!!!
Old 10-05-2008, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (danomatic93)

nice looks good. i would fix driver side mount look like it was snap off
Old 10-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (danomatic93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by danomatic93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looking very nice, clean! Keep it up!! More pics!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Comin', lol ..........

Took 45 shots today while driving around the city, I'll post my favs but there's still alot

Damn I took alot....Now I need to get some skills on photoshop

Last edited by VtecSyndrome; 07-14-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VtecSyndrome)

it does look good man.The only thing i personally didn't care for what the grill.I dunno if it just me but it shows to much ofr the core support for me but anyway nice looking car.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

and i dunno if you noticed the broken bolt on the drivers side motor mount,i just saw it.
Old 10-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Brycen)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Brycen &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and i dunno if you noticed the broken bolt on the drivers side motor mount,i just saw it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, short but not broken

As far as the grille goes, I'm sure I'll get some hate for it but I love it so much more than oem that it doesn't matter to me at all. I'll be painting that part of the core support black most likely just to tone it down so it won't show so much. I have so much other stuff to do anyway so I'll hit it up soon, it will just take time
Old 10-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: East coast Ej1 build: MR '95 Ex coupe LS/Vtec project...LOTS of pics! slow modems beware (VtecSy

nice project looks like fun... and great upgrades, looks like those headers are going to scrape
Old 10-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

at first when i saw the mesh i was like eh... but seeing it installed (and painted black) i like it. i def agree that painting the rad support black will make it look 10x better.
Old 10-05-2008, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (wite2nr)

Not too fond of the mesh grill, but you cleaned up the car pretty damn good, so props.

Nice EJ.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:02 PM

car looks nice except the grill IMO. keep up the good work

haha mattyz? get off my D!(*
Old 10-05-2008, 11:24 PM

Default Re: (mattyv)

grill is no bueno but at least you clean and take care of your cars, my freind has the rage tri y and an evo 2 as well good choice.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not bad at all. I like those tail lights. Why did you remove the Honda emblems?
Old 10-06-2008, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not bad at all. I like those tail lights. Why did you remove the Honda emblems?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:15 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VtecSyndrome &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lol, short but not broken

As far as the grille goes, I'm sure I'll get some hate for it but I love it so much more than oem that it doesn't matter to me at all. I'll be painting that part of the core support black most likely just to tone it down so it won't show so much. I have so much other stuff to do anyway so I'll hit it up soon, it will just take time </TD></TR></TABLE>

I was actually going to post a suggestion to black out the visible portion of the front crossmember/radiator support as it really sticks out in pics through the mesh grille. The mesh grille is not my cup of tea, but it's YOUR car - at least you're doing it tastefully with the back mesh.

Looks like you're making a lot of progress. I remember the days where I actually worked on my cars. My EG has been done for over 6 years now, and not having a working-on project EF (I have a done daily driver wagon) has literally left me with nothing to work on save maintenance and other people's cars.

Looks like you're having fun and fixing a lot of sloppy stuff.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:21 AM
GO GIANTS!

Default Re: (mattyv)

I hope you fixed that broken stud on the driver side mount.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:49 AM

Default Re: (Brycen)

forgot to cover your license plate on pic 4
Old 10-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg2jr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> looks like those headers are going to scrape</TD></TR></TABLE>

No worries, my 4-1 in my CRX hangs lower and it's fine so the Eg will be fine also.......as long as I don't dump the **** out of it like so many suggested (though for pics I will later on )

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wite2nr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i def agree that painting the rad support black will make it look 10x better.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I still have the entire engine bay to paint so it's hard to care to much until I get that far in to it. To be honest though it never even looked that bad until I took pics. As if the camera makes it stand out more or something...either way it's getting blacked out sometime soon.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ8freek &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not bad at all. I like those tail lights. Why did you remove the Honda emblems?</TD></TR></TABLE>

It was gone when I bought the car, I just have not decided if I want oem chrome or if I want to use the oem type R ones from japan? I want to wait until my CF hood is on before I use my jdm ones (jdm or not they just look much better imo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondamanXxX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hope you fixed that broken stud on the driver side mount. </TD></TR></TABLE>
yep

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Lokeyo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">forgot to cover your license plate on pic 4 </TD></TR></TABLE>
will fix after posting, thanks

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I remember the days where I actually worked on my cars. My EG has been done for over 6 years now, and not having a working-on project EF (I have a done daily driver wagon) has literally left me with nothing to work on save maintenance and other people's cars.

Looks like you're having fun and fixing a lot of sloppy stuff.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I can't say I'm ever going to be officially "done" anyway since there is almost always something new to try or do. This is actually my 7th honda (1 '92 gsr, 2 '95 civics and all 4 years of the CRX 88,89,90&91) and like my other '89 Dx CRX I do not plan to get rid of it this time around. One to drive, one to wrench on Thats just the best way to do it.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:06 AM
Former Moderator

No offense intended, but the "done" shots have a lot of of duplicate angles. I mean I understand being excited and all, but we don't need 4 pics of the same angle, etc. I can see front, back, sides, 1/4 angles, etc. but there are like 4 of the same left/rear 1/4 angle shots, etc. There's little variety to have posted so many shots.

I'm on a fast connection and it takes a while to load still.

...just saying.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No offense intended, but the "done" shots have a lot of of duplicate angles. I mean I understand being excited and all, but we don't need 4 pics of the same angle, etc. I can see front, back, sides, 1/4 angles, etc. but there are like 4 of the same left/rear 1/4 angle shots, etc. There's little variety to have posted so many shots.

I'm on a fast connection and it takes a while to load still.

...just saying.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I took alot of pics with similar angles but how many different angles can you really take anyway, mainly I wanted different backgrounds to play with to see how they all looked. You ever say somebody takes too many pics of there kids? or anything else they love? Being my 1st photo shoot with this car I think I reserve the right to "over shoot" ..... There will be alot more to come as well so maybe you'll be better of in another thread . I've seen ALOT worse in alot of other threads and never saw somebody post "you shot too many duplicates" , it's all art which is just subjective anyway. to each their own

....just saying

Modified by VtecSyndrome at 10:39 AM 10/7/2008
Old 10-07-2008, 06:44 AM
Former Moderator

I'm not going to argue with you, so this will be my last reply.

The point of posting pictures is to hold attention, right? Well once someone sees the same shot 4 times (who cares about the backgrounds that you have - parking lots?) they easily get tired and scroll through quickly, lose interest, etc.

I take lots of pics of my son - he's 6 weeks old - and even that can be boring/redundant if I don't switch the shots up. I made a disc for family members with pics of him and I didn't even use 1/4 of the shots I took because there were so many duplicate shots/angles.

Take the BEST shot from each angle and post those if you want people to actually scroll slowly and view your pics. I'm not being an ******* - i'm actually trying to help you.

After sitting through the extra load time, only to see like 20 of the same shots with different "backgrounds" it got old real fast.

It seems to have gone from a tech topic to a simply "posting 50 shots of my car with generic backgrounds" in which case can easily be moved to the Appearance/cosmetic forum where it will drown due to the redundant pics.

...just saying.

Old 10-07-2008, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good J...just let me know when you are coming to the track and I'll teach you how to drive it.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm not going to argue with you, so this will be my last reply.

The point of posting pictures is to hold attention, right? Well once someone sees the same shot 4 times (who cares about the backgrounds that you have - parking lots?) they easily get tired and scroll through quickly, lose interest, etc.

I take lots of pics of my son - he's 6 weeks old - and even that can be boring/redundant if I don't switch the shots up. I made a disc for family members with pics of him and I didn't even use 1/4 of the shots I took because there were so many duplicate shots/angles.

Take the BEST shot from each angle and post those if you want people to actually scroll slowly and view your pics. I'm not being an ******* - i'm actually trying to help you.

After sitting through the extra load time, only to see like 20 of the same shots with different "backgrounds" it got old real fast.

It seems to have gone from a tech topic to a simply "posting 50 shots of my car with generic backgrounds" in which case can easily be moved to the Appearance/cosmetic forum where it will drown due to the redundant pics.

...just saying.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah the threads still really new so I haven't had a real chance for the tech side yet but it is coming. thats the main reason I titled it like I did, my crx build thread has about 300+ pics so I knew this thread will eventually be as much or more. The next pics going up are all going to pertain to the rear disc conversion, vtec head buildup and whatever else I find time for ...hopefully a successful Ek Si cluster swap, meaning hopefully it ill physically fit and look good. so we will see what all I get done today on my one day off

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Toad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Looks good J...just let me know when you are coming to the track and I'll teach you how to drive it. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Oh it's ON cupcake!
Old 10-07-2008, 08:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

nice

Quick Reply: East coast Ej1 build: MR '95 Ex coupe LS/Vtec project...LOTS of pics! slow modems beware