Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

The easiest front caliper upgrade for EX and Si Civics

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:42 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The easiest front caliper upgrade for EX and Si Civics

I've seen most people with EX and Si civics that have the 10.3" upgrade want to put on Integra calipers. They have a larger pad, so of course that helps with braking. Well there is a new brake setup I've discovered. This one uses Accord calipers.

This is a pair of 99 Honda Accord calipers. Like a pair of Integra calipers, they bolt onto the EX knuckle and still cover the same 10.3" rotor. However, these are a slightly better caliper. They also use a slightly bigger pad than say the Integra calipers. And heres the best part...the piston is still a 2", not a 2.25" like Integras. So you get the benefits of a bigger pad and caliper WITHOUT needing a bigger master cylinder! This means ALL you need is the caliper pair with pads, thats it! I just thought I'd share this with everyone to give a super simple but very effective brake upgrade out there. Bolts like stock with the same brake hoses and your stock caliper bracket bolts.

This shows the Accord pad compared to the smaller Integra GSR pad.

This shows the beefier Accord caliper compared to its smaller GSR counterpart.

If you have a DX civic and want to swap knuckles to get Integra brakes, this is simply a step up. You will still need the Teg or EX knuckles for this setup though.

If you are interested in this upgrade, feel free to PM me. If you'd like to hunt down the calipers yourself, be warned. The Accord came with three different brake setups with no real rhyme or reason which car comes with which setup sometimes. So if you look for this caliper, make sure it looks just like this.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome, would be awesomer if we knew where to find em.

you got a couple extra?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: The easiest front caliper upgrade for EX and Si Civics (BrakeExpert)

Yeah based on some of the stuff I read, I'm going to assume this needs to be posted.

http://www.motorsportmasters.com/tech/brakes.html
Old 08-30-2007, 10:16 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: The easiest front caliper upgrade for EX and Si Civics (BrakeExpert)

You are so the man.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u the man.are 96~2000 accord's front calipers the same or ?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:31 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: The easiest front caliper upgrade for EX and Si Civics (crazyguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crazyguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u the man.are 96~2000 accord's front calipers the same or ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

it depends on the trim.

The v6 I'm sure got bigger brakes, then you have the 99 limited edition which might have gotten different brakes.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: The easiest front caliper upgrade for EX and Si Civics

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crazyguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">u the man.are 96~2000 accord's front calipers the same or ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">awesome, would be awesomer if we knew where to find em.

you got a couple extra?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^ x445524243

Dayam!!! That is awesome.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: The easiest front caliper upgrade for EX and Si Civics (ek forever guy)

Probably upset the proportioning between the front and rear. Get a Wilwood adjustable prop valve, install it on the rear lines, T the front lines together, and optimize the proportioning by dialing it in until the fronts lock up just a split second before the rear.

Yeah I know, people are going to cry about the so-called failsafe cross plumbing of the stock system. Cut one of your brake hoses and give it a try, then come back and talk to me about how safe you are with cross plumbing.

Been running this on the street on two cars for 3 years. On my EG, I have LS front and rear brakes, 91 Si master cylinder, steel braided lines, super ATE fluid. I had a Del Sol (rear disc brake equipped) prop valve. The damn wheels would lock up any time I put the pedal down. It was actually worse than the stock setup. Talked to my friend who tunes racecars for a living, he threw the prop valve on there, dialed it in, and to this day the braking performance blows my mind.

The other car was a turbo AWD Civic wagon with Wilwood front and front stock Civic brakes on the rear.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Default Re: The easiest front caliper upgrade for EX and Si Civics (suspendedHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by suspendedHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Probably upset the proportioning between the front and rear. Get a Wilwood adjustable prop valve, install it on the rear lines, T the front lines together, and optimize the proportioning by dialing it in until the fronts lock up just a split second before the rear.

Yeah I know, people are going to cry about the so-called failsafe cross plumbing of the stock system. Cut one of your brake hoses and give it a try, then come back and talk to me about how safe you are with cross plumbing.

Been running this on the street on two cars for 3 years. On my EG, I have LS front and rear brakes, 91 Si master cylinder, steel braided lines, super ATE fluid. I had a Del Sol (rear disc brake equipped) prop valve. The damn wheels would lock up any time I put the pedal down. It was actually worse than the stock setup. Talked to my friend who tunes racecars for a living, he threw the prop valve on there, dialed it in, and to this day the braking performance blows my mind.

The other car was a turbo AWD Civic wagon with Wilwood front and front stock Civic brakes on the rear.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^

QFKAS

Quoted For Kick *** Story.
Old 08-30-2007, 11:51 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (instrument)

I do have a set of these calipers if you'd like right now. PM me if you'd like a set with pads.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the question i want to know is can you take the rear discs off a accord and put them on a civic? i know it is a noob question but can it be done.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (BrakeExpert)

I don't know. The trailing arms are differnet, but the spindle might be the same. The e-brake setup will require some modification I'm sure.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a bro is your SN on clubcivic redline..???
Old 08-30-2007, 08:17 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (bmoua)

yup thats me.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:40 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BrakeExpert &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you'd like to hunt down the calipers yourself, be warned. The Accord came with three different brake setups with no real rhyme or reason which car comes with which setup sometimes. So if you look for this caliper, make sure it looks just like this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Anyone know the part number of these Accord calipers?