Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Early signs of clutch slipping or something wrong with MAF sensor... ADVICE NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 Early signs of clutch slipping or something wrong with MAF sensor... ADVICE NEEDED

I have a 95 GSR swap in my 93 CX Hatch.

I've noticed that when I'm cruising at 65mph, my RPM goes to 3500. Usually it's at 3000 when I'm cruising at 65MPH. I thought it was just my imagination, but it's been constant for a week. As well as when I take it to 80mph, my RPM is at 4500 instead of the usual 4000 or less. Also, my acceleration seems slow from a dead stop when I floor the pedal towards redline on a flat road.

Another item of note; I noticed I feel a slight vibration when I accelerate hard from a rolling stop, and at 7000 RPM, it gives a slight jump in the RPM. As if my tires suddenly slipped, then grabbed the road. Trans axles are over a year old now, but were new when the swap was done.

I checked my clutch fluids and they're fine. There are no leaks.

Now with that said, from early experience with manual cars, the aforementioned was a tell-tale sign that my clutch will be going out sometime in the immediate/near future. I asked a friend about it, and he suggested I take a look at my MAF sensor.

I looked at some troubleshooting in my Haynes manual, but none of the symptoms are listed in the book.

I'm leaning more towards needing a new clutch. I'm ready to get an Exedy Stage 1 clutch to replace as of this writing, but I wanted some input before I get it.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions?
Old 10-28-2012, 09:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Early signs of clutch slipping or something wrong with MAF sensor... ADVICE NEEDE

so ur saying ur clutch is slipping exactly 500rpm above what it used to be at. are you serious right now

u drive a honda its not a rocket
Old 10-28-2012, 11:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Early signs of clutch slipping or something wrong with MAF sensor... ADVICE NEEDE

First off, our cars don't have an MAF, they have an MAP.

Second off, assuming you have the correct size tire on your car, and assuming you have a GSR transmission, at 65 MPH in 5th you should be at 3339 RPM. At 80 MPH, 4109 RPM. This is the math of your transmission, not a guess, and not "well this is what my car does". It's also worth noting that our tachs are notoriously inaccurate.

Your second problem does sound like a slipping clutch, but at the same time, your tires might be worn enough that they are slipping. From the way it sounds like you drive your car, it probably wouldn't hurt to replace your clutch anyway. Just make sure you get your flywheel resurfaced while you're doing that.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You probably have worn your clutch out so much that its affecting the transmission. This was the last thing that happened to me before I started losing gears. I would step on the gas it revs up and doesn't go as fast as it should especially from a stop. So I had to step on the gas less and step on it again to prevent me from flooring it because the engine is essentially stripping out your gears. The transmission is skipping cogs and trying to keep up with the engine your axles being controlled by the tranny go when the tranny goes so if it need to catch up which is why your wheels will chirp or slip. this was happening to me on stock size wheels with less than 10k on them. When you change your clutch get a kit for everything you need. I would second^ having your flywheel resurfaced. make sure to spin your tranny check to see if it makes noise, then its bad, get another. If it feels smooth with no noise its good.