Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Earl's SS Brake lines..

Old 11-04-2003, 03:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Earl's SS Brake lines..

Alrite guys, looking into these brake lines..

any pros/cons or personal experiences, etc?
Old 11-04-2003, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Earl's SS Brake lines.. (navin)

I used Goodridge SS lines, but I have also heard good stuff about Earl's

I paid about 120 for Goodridge
Old 11-04-2003, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Earl's SS Brake lines.. (navin)

I have Earl's cant complain
Old 11-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Earl's SS Brake lines.. (4DRPIMPIN)

I did some homework on ss brake lines a while back. In the end, I came to the conclusion that they were not worth the money. most people claim that the stock lines flex really bad, blah, blah, blah. The stock rubber lines are very sturdy and will not flex enough to cause any loss in braking performance. People also say that the SS lines provide a much firmer brake pedal. I don't think that the firmer pedal is coming from the lines. Instead it is coming from the fact that the individual bled their brakes. My brakes firmed up quite a bit as well when I bled them with the stock rubber lines.

As for SS lines, they require regular checking as dirt can get into the steel braid and wear away at the teflon lining. So they are not an install and forget item. If determined to get SS lines, then best to get lines which have a protective plastic lining outside of the braid.

I also did a fair amount of reading reviews from people who actually track their cars. The general consensus was that people couldn't tell a difference between their SS lines and their stock rubber lines.

If I were you, I would get some quality brake fluid, bleed the brakes, and call it a day. Take the money that you would have spent on the lines and get a good set of brake pads.

On a side note, from what I read, SS lines basically came into play to keep people from getting their brake lines cut by debris on the track while racing.
Old 11-04-2003, 04:54 PM

Default Re: Earl's SS Brake lines.. (kommon_sense)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by kommon_sense &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I did some homework on ss brake lines a while back. In the end, I came to the conclusion that they were not worth the money...</TD></TR></TABLE>

While I agree with you 100%, why doesn't scca allow them in the stock class (DOT approval doesn't make any difference)?
Old 11-04-2003, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Earl's SS Brake lines.. (mathusala)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mathusala &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

While I agree with you 100%, why doesn't scca allow them in the stock class (DOT approval doesn't make any difference)?</TD></TR></TABLE>

From what I've been reading of the rules, scca doesn't allow much of anything in stock class, even if it is a legit replacement. It may simply be a CYA maneuver. When in doubt, don't allow it.