Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

E.G. Double DIN Kit??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 09:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default E.G. Double DIN Kit??

Hey guys.. so the super rare eg6 double din mount is well, rare and expensive.

My company is considering making our own from scratch (fibreglass or cf) if there's enough interest, obviously cost effectiveness would be a concern but..

Besides that, an idea I've been toying with for my own cars because the stock mount is so low is making a double din kit for the main dash. This kit would delete the manual HVAC controls in favor of digital which could be controlled through an iDatalink Maestro compatible deck like new vehicles. I've seen double dins where the stock deck goes before but usually people relocate the hvac controls lower, we'd like to just replace them.

If I built this into a kit, it would come with a pre-modified double din EG bezel which could be finished per customers request (color, vinyl wrap, etc) and mounting hardware for a standard double din deck (could also potentially make adjustments too if some people have Chinese Android decks which in our experience are usually slightly larger than the double din openings in most dash kits)!

It would also come with everything you need to adapt the HVAC system, so motors and solenoids as needed as well as a a control box. Could easily add automatic climate control with temp sensors, more than 4 fan speeds. I haven't delved too deep into the civics hvac but perhaps we can add modes too, I'm thinking not though. But we could have it auto rear defrost and stuff too.

Just need to control the heater core valve, fan speeds and vent modes. Need two motors or another way to control the valve and vent but I don't think motors would be too bad especially if new cables were included.

I started this business to modernize older classic (especially Japanese) vehicles while retaining their tradition and heritage.

What do you guys think?

Would you be interested? We have some other projects we have been engineering, an e-wastegate and obd2 capabilities for obd1 ECUs.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:10 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts
Default Re: E.G. Double DIN Kit??

you mean it has the optional lower audio console?
Old 04-17-2018, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pics would spark attention.

Last edited by Riptide101; 04-17-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:50 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any 3d rendering? or some type of sketch ?
Old 04-17-2018, 03:40 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Why not just 3D print the parts? Think of all the things you could reproduce. Entire kit for the lower consoles. Print it up. 88-91 CRX climate control bezels come to mind. These sell for over $100 if they're used and unbroken, if I recall. The ashtrays for the RHD EG lower consoles are almost always broken or missing. Rear hatchback speaker covers and shrouds. There are delete covers for 88-91 Civic/CRX power window kits that sell for like $100 per pair ... but how can anyone ever find some? They basically don't exist anymore. Reproductions are the way to go.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NVturbo
you mean it has the optional lower audio console?
I was considering reproducing this part, as well as a separate kit for installing a double din in the factory radio spot where the current HVAC controls are and making the HVAC digital.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Riptide101
Pics would spark attention.
I'll see what I can do, someone recently was selling a modified bezel on here for the double din in the dash but that's all it was, one off custom and they had relocated their hvac to where the lower audio console was..wouldnt be my pics but it would be a good example if I can find it.

Originally Posted by Primordial
Do you have any 3d rendering? or some type of sketch ?
I have some ideas but it shouldn't be too hard to visualize..? I'll see what I can come up with.

Originally Posted by deschlong
Why not just 3D print the parts? Think of all the things you could reproduce. Entire kit for the lower consoles. Print it up. 88-91 CRX climate control bezels come to mind. These sell for over $100 if they're used and unbroken, if I recall. The ashtrays for the RHD EG lower consoles are almost always broken or missing. Rear hatchback speaker covers and shrouds. There are delete covers for 88-91 Civic/CRX power window kits that sell for like $100 per pair ... but how can anyone ever find some? They basically don't exist anymore. Reproductions are the way to go.
3D printing would be great but..I'm not completely confident with 3d printing for actual consumer products yet..maybe small parts or prototypes but I'd be worried about surface quality strength and the like.

Once a mould and process is made, it can be done pretty quick with fibreglass or carbon fibre.