Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

e break adjusments

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default e break adjusments

i have a del sol 95. i was wondering if there is any other place to adjust the ebreak other then the screw next ebrake stick?

Modified by winkwitstyle at 2:30 AM 12/27/2007
Old 12-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yep in the rear drums, i wouldnt suggest if you dont know how
Old 12-26-2007, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: e break adjusments (winkwitstyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by winkwitstyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a del sol 95. i was wondering if there is any other place to adjust the ebreak other then the screw next ebreak stick?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm straight, so I don't work on sols, but if they're like the rest of civics the e-brakes connect to a nut that holds the bracket on where they attach, if that's what you mean by "screw", then no, there's no other way to adjust it. If that's not what you meant, take out the center console, you'll see what I mean.

I can try rolling the shoes out a little bit, if that's the problem, but you'd notice a decreased brake power if that was the case.

Old 12-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (924doorEG)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 924doorEG &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yep in the rear drums, i wouldnt suggest if you dont know how</TD></TR></TABLE>

NOTE:
If you bring them out too far you'll just grind the shoes right down when you start moving, also, even though your shoes don't activate in the same way if you step on the brake opposed to pulling up the e-brake, the feel is the same.

If your shoes are down you'd feel that your brakes aren't adequate, or it's possible they're not down, that you just did a crappy job of putting them on. Though usually somebody notices that 40% of their braking power is gone.

Proper etiquette for adjust your shoes is like so:
- Take off the drum
- Move shoes out
- Slowly retract the wheel one rotation at a time and try to fit the drum on each time
- Perfect adjustment is when the drum slides on with a bit of resistance due to the shoes
- As far as I remember Honda drums don't have an adjustment slot, just a shoe check slot.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:59 PM

Default Re: e break adjusments (Syndacate)

yea i ment the center console. the screw is adjust to the max. im unexperienced with drum breaks so i don't want to mess with it. i think i can live wit drums for a few more months before i swap to disk well thnks for the info.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: e break adjusments (winkwitstyle)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by winkwitstyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea i ment the center console. the screw is adjust to the max. im unexperienced with drum breaks so i don't want to mess with it. i think i can live wit drums for a few more months before i swap to disk well thnks for the info.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good deal.

(meanwhile drums remain the most effective braking device)

------------------------

Only reason world switched to caliper/pad setups is because A) They're A LOT easier to maintenance, and B) it's a simpler setup, less can go wrong.

Dump trucks, city buses, pretty much every heave load vehicle uses air powered drum brakes...why? Because they're better.

May not be as pretty or easy to maintenance, but they're better.

EDIT:
Lemme rephrase, usually they're better, usually not better than supercar calipers that have more pistons than the engine - but as far as honda civic oem vs honda civic oem, drums win.
Old 12-27-2007, 01:23 AM

Default Re: e break adjusments (Syndacate)

that is true its alot easier to work it. my set up would be integra diskbrakes for the rear. i have an integ ls myself and i liek the braking. its very smooth and strong compare to the honda drums brakes.