Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

E brakelbrake question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 03:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E brakelbrake question

So today I decided to adjust my ebrake to the factory specs and I noticed that one, the ebrake doesn't really grab until its half way up and two, the ebrake cables aren't equal. The one on the drivers side seems to have more tension than the one on the passenger side. I believe the rear drums are due to be service due to the fact that the drums themselves are in pretty bad shape. I'm going to replace them soon as well as the front brakes. Are the E brake lines supposed to be like that? Should the ebrake grab sooner or is that about where it should grab? I also notice on some cool mornings that something seems to be grabbing on the rear brakes because it sounds like they're still applied lightly even after I'm off the pedal. The ebrake handle also doesn't sit down all the way like it should until the car has driven for a few minutes but those things only occur on cool mornings when I 1st start driving. Something is telling me it has to be something with the rear dums. Has anyone ever had anything like this happen before?
Old 06-27-2011, 03:31 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: E brakelbrake question

Originally Posted by 94 IntegraLS
So today I decided to adjust my ebrake to the factory specs and I noticed that one, the ebrake doesn't really grab until its half way up and two, the ebrake cables aren't equal. The one on the drivers side seems to have more tension than the one on the passenger side. I believe the rear drums are due to be service due to the fact that the drums themselves are in pretty bad shape. I'm going to replace them soon as well as the front brakes. Are the E brake lines supposed to be like that? Should the ebrake grab sooner or is that about where it should grab? I also notice on some cool mornings that something seems to be grabbing on the rear brakes because it sounds like they're still applied lightly even after I'm off the pedal. The ebrake handle also doesn't sit down all the way like it should until the car has driven for a few minutes but those things only occur on cool mornings when I 1st start driving. Something is telling me it has to be something with the rear dums. Has anyone ever had anything like this happen before?
Yes I have dealt with this recently. In my case the brake cable sheath had worn through at one of the brackets where the cable turns 90º and had become rusty. That cable had "more tension" like you described and would seize that wheel occasionally.

There also could be an issue inside the drum. If things aren't moving freely they can make that wheel sticky. This pin likes to seize sometimes too:
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2011, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im guessing you replaced the cable? or was there another solution to that? Also, if that pin is seized does it have to be replaced? or will some penetrating lube do the trick? I plan on giving the car a complete brake overhaul once I replace my exhaust manifold and muffler.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Im guessing you replaced the cable? or was there another solution to that?
I sprayed some PB Blaster down into the sheath (which showed the spot where it had worn though when it dripped out) to free it up. I did not replace it. I will if it gives me more trouble.

Also, if that pin is seized does it have to be replaced? or will some penetrating lube do the trick? I plan on giving the car a complete brake overhaul once I replace my exhaust manifold and muffler.
You should be able to clean it up with a wire wheel, and then grease it. It's important to grease certain parts of the assembly to keep them moving freely. A lot of people just throw new shoes in without lubing and wonder why they have problems.

My bet it that you have a bad brake cable.