Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

E brake stuck on, can't take rear drum off

Old 06-24-2019, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E brake stuck on, can't take rear drum off

Ok 94' Civic EX. Took the driver's side drum apart easily cleaned it, painted it. Then to the passenger side, I used the E brake to freeze it to thread the bolts in. The E brake went up extra loose because the other hub is off. Now I released the E brake and it's stuck on. I'm having horrible time taking the drum plate off. I got it about 1/2 inch of gap of prying room inside the drum. Anyone here got any ideas what to do to disengage the E brake? Thanks!
Old 06-24-2019, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts
Default Re: E brake stuck on, can't take rear drum off

After release of the e-brake, did the cable tension on the passenger side wheel also release?

Did you try screwing some long hex bolts into the holes of the drum to push it off? That's what the holes are designed for.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

This doesn't make a lot of sense. Generally when one wheel lets the cable go slack, pulling the handle won't do anything at the other wheel either. Is the cable loose at the handle end with the handle down?

Not sure why you pulled the handle up in the first place. Obviously the drum can not come off with the brakes applied. To prevent it from turning while you drive in the jack screws, hold some sort of bar against the lug studs.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok I got the drum cover off with the help of another person prying on it. The E brake wasn't stuck on, the brakes were rubbing tight against it somehow, anyway thanks for help. I'll figure out how to take these apart and adjust them.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

If the inside of the drum is worn enough, there is a ridge on the edge that makes it difficult to remove the drum. New drums and shoes should be considered in that case.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:51 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Malt-liquor
Ok I got the drum cover off with the help of another person prying on it. The E brake wasn't stuck on, the brakes were rubbing tight against it somehow, anyway thanks for help. I'll figure out how to take these apart and adjust them.
The two bolt holes in the drum would have done this for you without needing help or prying. The valve train camshaft cap bolts are the exact size of those bolt holes. I've collected extras when at the salvage yard to use in breaking drums free from the rear hub and break assembly.

Search this Thread