Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Dynomax VT or Yonaka exhausts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dynomax VT or Yonaka exhausts?

My midpipe is hanging on by a thread so Im looking for a new exhaust. Cat and header are good so Im shopping for a catback. It has to be two things, cheap and quiet. I need to place an order soon so heres what I found today.

1. Yonaka catbacks for $240 they look like a WS2 knockoff
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yonaka-Motor...item20c4b86f3c

2. or a no name catback and cut the can off and weld on a Dynomax VT muffler.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-2000-HO...item256f8a5a1b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynomax-VT-M...item4cffb20b70

I figure it would be $100 for the generic exhaust, $100 for the Dynomax muffler and $40 to weld it, so the prices are a wash. I dug around and found some mixed reviews but both look like theyd suit my needs. Im probably going get a bigger car next year so it doesnt have to top shelf. If anyone has suggestions, maybe a different muffler, Im open to ideas.

Its going on a 97 coupe with a 84mm lsv. Id like a lil extra performance or bling, but it cant be loud. Thanks for any input.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dynomax VT or Yonaka exhausts?

Personally, I'd get the yonaka.

I've read alot on them and that what I plan on getting. I don't know much about the Dynomax to have any input.

I vote yonaka, out of the 2.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it can't be loud, you'll want the yonaka. The VT is about the same loudness as the yonaka until that valve opens, then it gets really loud.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:32 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostJockey
1. Yonaka catbacks for $240 they look like a WS2 knockoff
It won't once it's installed. The can hangs low and is huge and the tip is ugly and huge.
Compared to the WS2 it sounds like poop.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:40 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mcvtec
It won't once it's installed. The can hangs low and is huge and the tip is ugly and huge.
Compared to the WS2 it sounds like poop.

agreed! Not sure why people buy knock off stuff. I like to be cheap like the next guy and get the most for my money. I just picked up a complete used Apexi World Sport 2 cat back for my ride for $200....it's a hell of a lot better than any knock off
Old 04-22-2012, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good deal, if anyone has a real WS2 for sale let me know. I dont care that much about how it sounds, just as long as I can keep it quiet around town (police). It would be nice to cut down the drone on the highway, and why Im looking at the dynomax. Looks dont bother me much either but Yonaka is starting to look a little gaudy with that big tip.

What about the oval mufflers? Theres a bunch of different brands on ebay. I dont know how loud they be, some look straight through with a big tank around the perforated inner pipe. That might work?

Im seeing people had problems with the flap in the dynomax VTs, but the posts are a lil old. You think they fixed the issue yet?
Old 04-22-2012, 08:47 AM
Crazy Honda Guy

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Sounds like you are set on new, and not wanting to shop around for a deal on a used cat back...there is always a deal if you look around and spend a week or two.

If going new, and want something cheap, i did that once two with great results. Go with a knock off twin loop. I got this for $85, got it fitted to my 96 hatch, sounded great and not loud

Old 04-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yonaka is good if you are going to keep the car for a year or 2 and get rid of it. As for you plan to buy an ebay exhaust and weld on the VT, sometimes the steel is super thin on the ebay's and might have an issue welding on to it.

It will be quite a more for an exhaust hop to fab up a cat back with VT.

If money is the issue go with the Yonaka.
Old 04-22-2012, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ive got and old twin loop here (megan?) but its seen better days. It was too loud on the car but i wasnt running a resonator. I wound up hammering a silencer into it. I do have a new 2.5 in turbo thrush from my old monte carlo. Its been in my garage for about 15years, it could work for this, I guess. I have no idea what it would sound like but it looks kinda cheap.

I dont really care for used exhausts, and I dont think im going to use any of the old junk I have around here. I know a high quality used will last a long time and serve me well. Its just that I need one soon before the one on the car falls off. Im checking craigslist but theres not much a Honda scene in my area. Then with scams and shipping. Its just easier if grab a new one off ebay. Looking to order today. Thanks everyone.
Attached Images   
Old 04-22-2012, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh man, sorry about those big pics.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:00 AM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i wouldnt do either..

i would get a tubing kit, then buy whatever res/muffler u want. A tube is tube no matter who's name is stamped on it.

http://www.vrsexhaust.com/TUBING_KIT.../honda_tk.html << comes with all flanges, hangers and hardware.

EDIT: half that crap on ebay doesnt fit OR they'll send you the wrong ****. Ask me how I know.
Old 04-22-2012, 12:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Those prices aint bad. Its more work thank I wanted but could come out better depending on who welds it. Im paying some to weld cause I dont have welder and I really suck at it. Any idea on a good muffler? world spot knock off, dynomax vt, and now im looking at the vibrant oval in black?
Old 04-22-2012, 02:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Go to aptuned.com and u can order a yonaka for ur car for same price as ebay, and it will fit, u can also see a few examples of how it will look on the car, and even a few sound clips. Not too bad IMO. Id paint the canister hi temp black but thats just me. They actually look and sound quite nice, but the canister is too blingy for me.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, they have a good price there. In the pics it looks much better on the green coupe then the black hatch. BTW my cars a coupe. Yonaka looks like it got quality and a better resonator then most. But that muffler is sooo big and I forgot about ground clearance till some1 mentioned it a few posts back. I cant make up my mind. If I get the yonaka I know Ill want to swap the muffler, and for that I could just spend more on a better system. That big shiny thing would get so dirty under my car, and look so uneven like a polished swollen ********.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:11 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Thanks, they have a good price there. In the pics it looks much better on the green coupe then the black hatch. BTW my cars a coupe. Yonaka looks like it got quality and a better resonator then most. But that muffler is sooo big and I forgot about ground clearance till some1 mentioned it a few posts back. I cant make up my mind. If I get the yonaka I know Ill want to swap the muffler, and for that I could just spend more on a better system. That big shiny thing would get so dirty under my car, and look so uneven like a polished swollen ********.
Lmao just get it and paint the canister and call it a day. It only looks huge cause its canister is so dam shiny, and the apexi units canister is the same way for double the $$$. Ive seen em painted, black can/leave tip polished, looks real nice. **** i might pick one up and do that myself for that price. And they sound hella nice.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I usually rock a black exhaust but just I cant get over how big that thing is. Will I have to put sand bags in the left side of my trunk to balance out the weight? If it was a little smaller with like a 2.5 - 3" tip Id buy just to try it, and keep it for another project or friend even if it was too loud or didnt fit.

Do you have one? what about the weight? this thing looks like a riced out boat anchor. Thanks for the input, I really do appreciate it.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:39 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I usually rock a black exhaust but just I cant get over how big that thing is. Will I have to put sand bags in the left side of my trunk to balance out the weight? If it was a little smaller with like a 2.5 - 3" tip Id buy just to try it, and keep it for another project or friend even if it was too loud or didnt fit.

Do you have one? what about the weight? this thing looks like a riced out boat anchor. Thanks for the input, I really do appreciate it.
Lol nah dude you won't have to do anything crazy like sand bags lmao. I dont got one, a couple buddys do tho and one is SLAMMED (ej1) and he has no clearance issues. it's actually 1 of the less rice e systems you can get for the money. IMO its the LEAST ricey budget system available, they look classy with a satin black/hi temp painted canister, and its really not that big man, the apexi unit is dam near the same size.
Old 04-22-2012, 04:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a yonaka on my GSR swapped eg6 and I am really impressed with the sound for the cost. I need to add a cat because it is a little raspy with vtec. It has a nice mellow sound
Old 04-22-2012, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Speedjunkie: how does it fit? hang low/ tip sticking out?
Im prob not gonna run a real cat but I dont mind rasp if its up near vtec. What I really dont want is drone when cruising. I can hardly make a phone call with a bluetooth on the highway, tho Im spinning over 4K rpm.

The sound clips do sound good. I might have to sleep on it, but I think Im going yonaka. If it bugs me Ill change the can. Anyone know if a 06 SI axle back bolts straight on?
Old 04-22-2012, 09:06 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Every week. Every damn week.

Thrush Turbo muffler from Advance. Custom piping. Have an exhaust shop weld it all together. $100 max total, and near OEM sound output.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Speedjunkie: how does it fit? hang low/ tip sticking out?
Im prob not gonna run a real cat but I dont mind rasp if its up near vtec. What I really dont want is drone when cruising. I can hardly make a phone call with a bluetooth on the highway, tho Im spinning over 4K rpm.

The sound clips do sound good. I might have to sleep on it, but I think Im going yonaka. If it bugs me Ill change the can. Anyone know if a 06 SI axle back bolts straight on?
It fit's good. I haven't scraped yet. I have a pic in my build thread of clearance. I was shipped one for a four door for some reason?? I also have a PLM hytech header, so I had to cut the exhaust to fit. The tip is kinda big and sticks out but it grows on you. I have thought about cutting it off and just have 1.25-1.5" of the 2.25" piping come out the can or having a smaller tip welded on. It comes with a flange of 2" and then goes into 2.25 piping for a stock header and cat. I have zero drone! It has a nice humm, no matter what speed if I am cruising.

You really cant go wrong for the price. The only reason I even considered this exhaust set up is because I wanted something cheap to hold me over for the year before I go turbo. Both header and exhaust seem to be quality piece's. I have no complants
Old 04-22-2012, 10:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
Every week. Every damn week.

Thrush Turbo muffler from Advance. Custom piping. Have an exhaust shop weld it all together. $100 max total, and near OEM sound output.
Don't forget the resonator, unless you plan to reuse the stock can.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im psyched, I just ordered a neptune/ demon setup today. So Im probably gonna go cheap and get the ebay exhaust for $100. Theres mufflers on ebay that look like yonaka/ws2 but a little smaller. Im intrigued by the dynomax but would probably be better served by a stock exhaust with a cutout. The vibrant oval looks real sweet, and I do have a thrush turbo sitting here.

Once I get the ebay exhaust on, ill see how the pipes line up, measure things and pick out a muffler. If I dont like the way it turns out I have a few friends whod wanna buy it for about what I put into it, then Ill buy the yonaka. Thanks every1. Ill update with progress.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Im psyched, I just ordered a neptune/ demon setup today.
Ahh thats my next big purchase!!!
Old 04-24-2012, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Exhausts come and go but tuning is forever! Crome was good for the price tho

Heres some of what I found looking at ebay catbacks

I ordered a cat back on ebay from k2motor for $100.68 shipped. The pipes look pretty good, Im not sure about the resonator and Im not keeping the muffler. Theres a company BBP that looks like they make good cheap catbacks. In some auctions they have a stamp on the muffler, some dont and silencer bolts on out towards the tip of the muffler. I was gonna order one of them but I noticed the flange that meets the cat looked weird. It looks like a 2.25" flange then the rest of the piping is flared to 2.5" This might work well with a smaller or stock cat? The K2s flange is 2.5" at the cat. Ill give you impressions when it gets here.