Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DYI: In Dept 6th Gen Tachometer Installation Tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DYI: In Dept 6th Gen Tachometer Installation Tutorial

Okay, so you want to install a 20$ tach and save 80$ and not buy an si or EX cluster like everyone else tells you to. Here's my way of doing it and I bet it will help you out. Am I a ricer? No. Am I broke? Yes! I try to make my installs as clean as possible, but this one is rather difficult to keep clean looking, so bare with me.

Note: I am not responsible to any damage done to your vehicle. Always refer to wiring diagrams etc. before doing any work related to electrical.

Tools needed:

- Add a volt meter if you don't have a 6th gen.

Removing your cluster:
Begin by locating both screws holding the plastic cover in front of your instrument cluster. On a 6th gen they're located here.

Next you want to lower your wheel if it's a tilt one. Two clips hold the bottom of the cover in. If its never been out before, this is going to be a mother. Tug hard from the bottom and they'll pop out.

Next you'll have to unscrew the cluster and remove it. It is a little tricky to slide out, be gentle.

Unplug it and set it aside. Next you'll be looking at three plugs. We'll only be dealing with one.

Locating wires and their functions:

Now we need to locate the wire that feeds our cluster its light when the markers are on. Which is right here!

If you do not have a 6th gen make sure to hunt around with a volt meter! You need a constant 12 volts of power with the key in the ON position to power the tach motor, a tach signal wire, and a wire that provides 12 volts when the light switch is in the marker lights position.

Next you need to splice into your three wires! Refer to your tachometer diagram for which wire does what (on the tach), every one is different! After you're positive you know which does what, use whatever connector you want (3-way butt connector, splice, etc.) to hack into it. Electrical tape your connections!

Prevent making a cluster of splices, splice into each wire at different lengths so they don't hit or rub on each other. Splice into all three using your method of choice and make sure they are secured firmly and give them the tug test!

Creating your ground wire connection:
I made my connection with a crimp on connector that a bolt can go through. Ensure the bolt you're going to use fits inside your connector hole before crimping it on!

Now you need to locate a bolt to ground it to. I personally used this one, the cluster doesn't hit it, and it is a easy access point.

Double check all your connections and plug your cluster back in and make sure everything functions!

Ensure that the tacho lights up when your markers, headlights, as well as your high beams are on.

After that, reinstall your cluster screws and trim, then run the wires through the trim the best you can. Make sure to use penty of zip ties to make sure the wires don't get tangled up inside your dash; personally I made a circular loop of all the excess length of wires and zip tied it together. Afterwards, find a place to mount it and get it done! Enjoy your tach!

Ultimately I used 3M sticky tape because I didn't want to drill into my dashboard. It's solid and is removable.

Last edited by Dremetos; 08-01-2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DYI: In Dept 6th Gen Tachometer Installation Tutorial

If you're that broke why do you even need a tach? I don't understand. I vote ex/si cluster
Old 08-01-2013, 03:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DYI: In Dept 6th Gen Tachometer Installation Tutorial

Originally Posted by OrangeChrome
If you're that broke why do you even need a tach? I don't understand. I vote ex/si cluster
Because it's my first car and I like to learn / practice modifications to gain experience so when I take on larger projects there is less of a learning curve. I did a tach because I simply like to monitor my engine RPMs. If you like cluster swaps, that's fine. I enjoy them too, but I'd prefer to invest my money elsewhere in my vehicle.