Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DX intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX intake manifold

when performing a mini-me, if you keep the dx manifold(because you dont have the EX manifold yet), would still need to convert the IACV to the EX one? i know that you do, if you have the EX manifold, but what if you r using the DX one for awhile? would there be any changes to the ecu then?
Old 11-30-2004, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It depends on what ecu you plan to use. If using stock ECU with an auxilary VTEC controller, you need to maintain a 3-wire IACV. If using a 96-00 EX ecu or OBD1 ecu, you will need to convert. You can't use the 2-wire type on a DX manifold though.
If you keep your DX manifold (we're talking 96-00 DX that is...) you will not gain as much power since it is so wimpy. However if you plan to keep your stock DX ecu you can use an intake manifold from an automatic tranny version of the EX, it has the 3-wire IACV. You would keep your DX fuel injectors also, and just use something like a Fields controller or VAFC.
Old 11-30-2004, 02:00 PM

Default Re: (klungemonger)

got another question. would everything on the DX manifold (fuel rail, tb, injectors, hoses, etc.) be swap over to the EX manifold???? ive searched these forums but no one seems to be specific enough. i have a buddy parting out with his manifold but he's not including anything with it. just the manifold itself.
any help appreciated.
Old 11-30-2004, 03:08 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (98civicdude)

please search up the y8 manifold swap.
yes, all your parts will bolt on. if your getting a y8 manifold from a car that was a automatic, then your ok, and your stock TB has the IACV built in and you'll have no problems.
when you swap manifolds you need the bare manifold, the throttle cable holder, a new y8 TB gasket, and 2 pieces from a y8 TB: its throttle cable rotor mounting plate, and i believe the spring for it too. you will have to cut wire loom (when you do the swap you'll know what i mean cause one wire isnt long enough, so you cut the wire shield, its fine to do this). your problems could be:
with a 99-00 IM, you have to plug the air injection holes.
with a y8 IM from a car that was a manual transmission, plug the two holes on the back of the manifold.
final note:
there are 2 coolant lines that run to the TB. these on the y8 IM will be too short. so go get about 5 feet of 8mm coolant hose (fuel injection hose is fine) and you'll have to replace your stock coolant hoses with the longer ones you bought.

despite all these side notes, the manifold and throttle and fuel rail will all bolt on just the same. its basically swapping one hunk of aluminum for another. no fuel or coolant modding needs to be done. i reccomend resetting the ECU when this is all done, so your car will adjust for more air (to add more fuel, thus more power.)