Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DX front brake upgrade, need your advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX front brake upgrade, need your advice

My front discs are in need of a change... badly. When I use the brakes, the steering wheel vibrates like no other, so this leads me to believe they are warped. I was thinking of getting a new set of maybe slotted rotors and some nice axxis pads (even though the slotted rotors really wouldn't help too much, cause I'm not autocrossing or anything like that... yet... just for street use) Anyways, I was also looking at swapping my front brake and suspension assmbly to an integra setup... I beleive the front rotors on my DX and an LS are the same, but what about the GSR? I know the calipers are different from my DX and the EX civic, so I'm guessing that the EX and LS/GSR calipers are better too, and that doing that swap would be a worth while upgrade... what do you guys think? Worth the time, money and effort, or should I just get new rotors and a nice set of pads and stick with the DX calipers..?
Old 04-27-2003, 07:18 PM

Default Re: DX front brake upgrade, need your advice (rocket3004)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rocket3004 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">just get new rotors and a nice set of pads and stick with the DX calipers..?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 04-28-2003, 06:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Swapping to the EX/SI/GSR front setup is definately worth the time and money (assuming that you can get a good deal). You should be able to get the front knuckles/hubs/spindles for anywhere from $150-$250. Add some ATE brake fluid ($10), brembo blanks ($50/pair), and good street pads (AEM, Axxis ultimates, etc. - ~$50) and you will have a very nice setup. However you may also have to swap the brake booster, MC and prop valve to really make use of the larger front setup. However IMHO, anything that will improve your braking is worth the effort.

For the time being, you can go to autozone and buy some $19 rotors and install them yourself. That will get rid of the warped rotors. Then just put the rest of the money towards a brake swap.
Old 04-28-2003, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DX front brake upgrade, need your advice (kommon_sense)

I would deffinately upgrade the brakes IMO it is one of the best mods I have made yet
Old 04-28-2003, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DX front brake upgrade, need your advice (ITRacer121)

if you decide not to go with a full brake swap (ex, si, or gsr) i'd recommend getting new brembo blanks, some nice brake pads (hawk or porterfield) and change out your master cylinder and brake booster and use some dot 4 fluid (ate or motul). the first 2 will help with your stopping power, the last 3 with help with your pedal feel, but they all work together good luck
Old 04-28-2003, 05:31 PM

Default Re: DX front brake upgrade, need your advice (cre18)

Thanks for the replies!

Looks like the brake upgrade is the way to go! are those calipers worth it, b/c like I said before, the size of the rotors are the same, correct? Or maybe the GSR/Si has larger ones?

Hmmm, I wonder how hard it is to do the swap... don't think it is too difficult but some of those bolts have gotta be a bia to get off!

Oh and just curious, but what would it take to add ABS.... the sensors, front and rear break assmbly's from gsr/si w/abs, and the abs computer?
Old 04-28-2003, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the rotors should be bigger than your stock dx rotors...

it isnt so bad as long as you know what you are doing...
Old 04-28-2003, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rocket3004 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for the replies!

Looks like the brake upgrade is the way to go! are those calipers worth it, b/c like I said before, the size of the rotors are the same, correct? Or maybe the GSR/Si has larger ones?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

The ex/si/gsr all have larger front rotors and calipers. Get the GSR setup if you can, but the EX/SI are also very good setups as well. The only diff is that the calipers are a little smaller than those on the GSR.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Hmmm, I wonder how hard it is to do the swap... don't think it is too difficult but some of those bolts have gotta be a bia to get off!
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I doubt that it is very difficult.. Just a lot of manual labor. I did the rear disc conversion on my car with a friend and it was VERY straight forward, but took a good half day to get the job done.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Oh and just curious, but what would it take to add ABS.... the sensors, front and rear break assmbly's from gsr/si w/abs, and the abs computer? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It would probably be more trouble than it is worth.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:07 PM

so the rotors and calipers are bigger, nice.

hmmm, just thought of this, but I dont think the 13" steelies are gonna clear the rotors... will they?

Anyone interested in some 13" steelies?? haha

Yea, it seems straight forward... but I'll have to look more into it... I don't wanna screw up on brakes because safety quickly becomes an issue.
Old 04-28-2003, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nope, 13" steelies won't fit. Gotta have at least 14" steelies
Old 04-30-2003, 08:01 PM

Well, I have to asses what kinda dough i have. For the time being, I might just get some new rotors and a nice set of pads, and get the new brake booster and master cylinder... I'm assuming these are going to come from a GSR/Si/EX?

Also, if anyone knows of someone that is selling their front brake assmbly for cheap, let me know! (or even the master cyl or booster)

Also, if someone knows of someone that has some 14" wheels and tires for cheap, that would help too!
Old 05-01-2003, 08:37 AM

I went with Prelude calipers and redrilled rotors to my bolt pattern.People say dont drill them but i took mine to a machine shop and they said their is more than enough room to drill the pattern and i never had any problems