Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DX to EX conversion on 4 door + LS swap. Major work ahead, and some ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DX to EX conversion on 4 door + LS swap. Major work ahead, and some ?'s

i bought me-self a wrecked 92 EX 4 door to change interiors and convert my 92 DX to an all power'd, better braking car, with grey interior instead of the shitty tan. I pulled everything out today and got a good look at the main in cabin harness and brake lines and noticed all the ABS crap. My 92 DX 4 door doesnt have ABS, so i dont need to worry about replacing the bake lines to non ABS in my DX . But, to use the cabin harness, i will need to remove all the ABS wires from the car's harness. SO....

I plan on removing all the plugs that go into the ABS sensors and brain and what-not from the existing cabin harness so that the CEL wont come on and the car will never really know ABS was even there. Has anyone done this?

I think i'll just cut open the wrapping around the harness and trace all the wires to where they end, and remove them from the harness completely. This should take care of the ABS problem. It'd sorta be like having a harness from an EX without ABS.

I also want to use the bigger EX front brakes, and convert to the rear discs as well, along with using the factory sway bars. I know how to remove the ABS sensors from the brakes, and have already done so. So i dont really see a problem with the brakes on my NON ABS car, if NONE of the wiring, lines, sensors, or ANYTHING are still attached to the brakes in any way, itd just sbe like putting non-abs brakes on a non-abs car... right?

At the same time, I have a 90 LS motor with 96 GSR trans ready to swap into the civic. What kind of axles will i need to work on the EX's brake system now that i've completely removed ABS? will they still require ABS axles. or should they be non abs?

Old 07-31-2004, 11:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the ls motor will have to be converted to obd1 and you will have to go throught the same process as if you were swapping in a 94+ gsr motor. mounts, axles
Old 08-01-2004, 01:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hmmm as for the ABS, all the ABS junk is wrapped with yellow tape and the unit is right behind the stereo or wait is that the airbags? blah soorry cant think....anways u have a problem, if the EX has ABS ur going to need to get ABS axles for the swap out of a 94+ integra with ABS, this is going to be expensive because the ABS axles are ALOT more expensive and RARE (the expensive part again) so in all honesty i dont know if u want to go through the hassle of slapping on the ABS knuckles. if you are staying SOHC go ahead and slapp them on and use the Si axles if ur swapping liek u stated id just get DC knuckles ones with OUT ABS and call it a day, but since u already have em its ur call....
Old 08-01-2004, 07:42 AM

Default Re: DX to EX conversion on 4 door + LS swap. Major work ahead, and some ?'s (Simple)

any more thoughts on removing abs?