Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Easily increase WHP for a D16

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 12:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Easily increase WHP for a D16

Ok I just recently got this delsol an it has a d16y7 an i was wanting to know some easy ways to increase horse power any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Anything small an simple right now then ill move up to big things but im sticking with the d16y7 that is in it it is also non vtec which i would like to make it vtec but no idea how to do so lol.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Easily increase WHP for a D16

turbo
Old 02-14-2011, 02:05 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by darksolderx
turbo
This. And don't worry about vtec. vtec does not mean more horsepower.

I would get a y8 manifold for your y7. And just boost it.

If you'd really like to get vtec a mini-me swap can be pretty inexpensive.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:58 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ek forever guy
This. And don't worry about vtec. vtec does not mean more horsepower.
Please explain this in detail. Thanks.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

note: vtec is worthless on a SOHC and well i even have it on my em1 but i dont feel much of a difference even with my aftermarket skunk 2 cams.

Last edited by Former User; 02-15-2011 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Please use the PM function for buying or selling in this tech forum.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:29 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Do what you like. Unless you go some forced induction route you will always be slow.
Old 02-14-2011, 03:33 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by mcvtec
Please explain this in detail. Thanks.

The ~20hp increase from a y7 to a y8 is more attributed to the poor flowing exhaust and intake manifolds that were designed to increase fuel economy over the more powerful EX model.

Simply replacing the y7's terrible manifolds with the y8 equivalents will net you about 15-20hp alone.

The ~20hp difference is not made by vtec. Contrary to popular belief.

Even when you look at b18b vs. b18c, the power differences are mostly on the top end at comparable dyno graphs on stock engines with the same transmissions. The b18b head was more tiered towards fuel mileage and therefore flows poor by comparison to the b18c head.

Vtec is nice, but it's not a supercharger like a lot of people think it is. It's a mild horsepower increase on DOHC platforms. It's not something to write home about on SOHC platforms. 2-5 horses at best on moderate builds.

Last edited by Libertariat; 02-14-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:54 AM
Resident Gearhead

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The ~25hp increase from a y7 to a y8 is more attributed to the poor flowing exhaust and intake manifolds that were designed to increase fuel economy over the more powerful EX model.

Simply replacing the y7's terrible manifolds with the y8 equivalents will net you about 15-20hp alone.

The ~25hp difference is not made by vtec. Contrary to popular belief.

Even when you look at b18b vs. b18c, the power differences are mostly on the top end at comparable dyno graphs on stock engines with the same transmissions. The b18b head was more tiered towards fuel mileage and therefore flows poor by comparison to the b18c head.

Vtec is nice, but it's not a supercharger like a lot of people think it is. It's a mild horsepower increase on DOHC platforms. It's not something to write home about on SOHC platforms. 2-5 horses at best on moderate builds.
I see what you meant, makes sense.

My speculation would be that a Y8 in. manifold may net 10-15 hp, and the rest (~10 hp) would be made up by the Y8's slightly higher compression and the VTEC intake cams. IIRC the Y7 is rated at 106 hp and the Y8 is at 125 hp.

Old 02-14-2011, 05:15 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by mcvtec
I see what you meant, makes sense.

My speculation would be that a Y8 in. manifold may net 10-15 hp, and the rest (~10 hp) would be made up by the Y8's slightly higher compression and the VTEC intake cams. IIRC the Y7 is rated at 106 hp and the Y8 is at 125 hp.

Precisely. I also forgot about the higher compression too. It's .2 higher.

And remember, on a SOHC the cam is the intake and exhaust cam at the same time. Which is one of the reasons why vtec isn't such a seat grabber as DOHC platforms. Not to mention displacement also has a role in the effectiveness of vtec as well.

Last edited by Libertariat; 02-14-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:18 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The ~25hp increase from a y7 to a y8 is more attributed to the poor flowing exhaust and intake manifolds that were designed to increase fuel economy over the more powerful EX model.

The ~25hp difference is not made by vtec. Contrary to popular belief.
Really? You mean the same D16Y7 that despite having a craptastic intake and exhaust still manages to make 4hp more than a D15B7 even though it's only got an extra 0.1L of displacement? I have no doubt that swapping a Y8 IM and exhaust will increase power, but I think your numbers are more than a tad bit high. i'd say you're looking at more like 5 - 7hp. You're more than welcome to prove me wrong, but i'd like to see some dyno graphs.

And remember, on a SOHC the cam is the intake and exhaust cam at the same time.
Uh, no actually. Vtec on a SOHC only works on the intake side. (the spark plug tubes prevented implementing it on the exhaust side)
Old 02-14-2011, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh boy!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:27 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Really? You mean the same D16Y7 that despite having a craptastic intake and exhaust still manages to make 4hp more than a D15B7 even though it's only got an extra 0.1L of displacement? I have no doubt that swapping a Y8 IM and exhaust will increase power, but I think your numbers are more than a tad bit high. i'd say you're looking at more like 5 - 7hp. You're more than welcome to prove me wrong, but i'd like to see some dyno graphs.

The d15b7 has a 9.2:1 compression ratio. The y7 has 9.4:1. I'm sure that has a bit to do with it as well. I'm also talking about engine horsepower. Not wheel horsepower. I'm sure a stock y7 has a wheel horsepower of around 80-90whp.

Uh, no actually. Vtec on a SOHC only works on the intake side. (the spark plug tubes prevented implementing it on the exhaust side)

The Vtec has 0 impact on the exhaust flow on a d-series? I find that hard to believe.
I also changed my horsepower numbers to reflect engine power accuracy, where I said "~25" that number is now what it actually it, 20.

I'll look for dyno results but I'll see if I can't find a comparison of a stock y7 to a y7+ y8 intake manifold and exhaust manifold.

If I can find some stock y7 numbers then I could get my car dynod once I get my manifold installed. I've already got a y8 exhaust manifold which made a noticeable difference.

I also think it's pretty reasonable to assume that a y8 intake manifold does a lot more for the engine than a short ram on a y7 manifold.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Seagull Management

The Vtec has 0 impact on the exhaust flow on a d-series? I find that hard to believe.
Stop putting words in my mouth. I never said that at all. I said vtec only works on the intake side of a SOHC vtec engine, these are 2 different statements. Go look at a SOHC vtec, there are no extra rocker arms or cam lobes on the exhaust side, only the intake side.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok coolio well i got to looking around for a y8 manifold but my issue is that the ones i have been looking at look a little different because the throttle body opening is facing up an not to the left but if this is wrong then can anyone tell me what the y8 in mani is usually on. I found one for 30 dollars so im prolly go for it.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Stop putting words in my mouth. I never said that at all. I said vtec only works on the intake side of a SOHC vtec engine, these are 2 different statements. Go look at a SOHC vtec, there are no extra rocker arms or cam lobes on the exhaust side, only the intake side.
You put words in my mouth however. I never said there were extra rocker arms or cam lobes on the exhaust side. I worded it poorly but the cam on a SOHC engine has one cam that moves the valves on the intake and exhaust side.

What else would move the exhaust valves?
Old 02-14-2011, 08:50 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Originally Posted by Draiga1988
ok coolio well i got to looking around for a y8 manifold but my issue is that the ones i have been looking at look a little different because the throttle body opening is facing up an not to the left but if this is wrong then can anyone tell me what the y8 in mani is usually on. I found one for 30 dollars so im prolly go for it.
A y8 manifold the throttle body is going to face to the passengers side of the car. y8 engines came in the EX and Canadian Si models.

Any manifold where the throttle body faces up is not the one you want.

If you have a y7 now you're best bet is a y8 manifold from an automatic EX. The manual y8 manifold is a bit more involved.
Old 02-14-2011, 08:50 AM
The Grumpiest

Sorry this has gone way off topic for you but the Y8 manifolds have the throttle body on the side as opposed to the Y7 which has it facing up.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok cool so would it be ok if instead of a stock y8 mani i got a skunk2 y8 mani would that work just the same.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:06 AM
The Grumpiest

On a stock engine it would be a waste to get the S2.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:10 AM
Ek Forever y0!

ok cool so would it be ok if instead of a stock y8 mani i got a skunk2 y8 mani would that work just the same.
it would be a phenomenal waste of money. Even on the DOHC engines in the all motor forum they say the S2 intake manifolds are junk. 2-4 horsepower for $300? What a waste.

If you get an aftermarket intake manifold the Edlebrock victor-x is where it's at.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok cool thanks well i got my NGK Plugs an Wires just a little bit ago so im happy now im just going to do full fluid swap except the antifreeze cause when i swap the manis ill loose half of it anyways lol.

Thanks for all the info guys.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:24 PM
Seagull Management

You put words in my mouth however. I never said there were extra rocker arms or cam lobes on the exhaust side. I worded it poorly but the cam on a SOHC engine has one cam that moves the valves on the intake and exhaust side.

What else would move the exhaust valves?
You made it sound like vtec functions on both the intake and exhaust side of a SOHC, which it doesn't.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:33 PM
Ek Forever y0!

You made it sound like vtec functions on both the intake and exhaust side of a SOHC, which it doesn't.
No worries.
Old 02-14-2011, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lol crazy how these get asked all the time and one week you get the "do some research" and this one has turned into a heated debate.

As mentioned above a skunk2 IM would be a COMPLETE waste. By the time you have purcahsed it you would be halfway to building a turbo kit if you were wise with your money.

The y8 mani will flow good for everything you need unless way later down the road you get into some crazy numbers which if you're asking these questions *no offense* will be awhile before you start changing compression and replacing internals and doing headwork and whatnot.

Best of luck with the build. Piece together a turbo kit slowly when you get the money. Get a p28 from phearable. RESEARCH ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT before you buy something you'll regret. Take it to a tuner, drive happily
Old 02-14-2011, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a d16y7 with a y8 head IM TB cam all that and as soon as i did the swap huge difference i payed 200 for head IM TB plugs wires dizzy ecu and a 97 ex gauge cluster so as you can see it was well worth it only the ecu and gauge alone should of cost me about 220

Quick Reply: Easily increase WHP for a D16