Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

dust boot piston problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dust boot piston problem

For some reason I am really having trouble rebuilding my caliper. Everything was cake until I got to the step to fit on the dust boot and get it around the piston. I have searched and read every inquiry possible on this forum and google. I've tried 3 different methods to no success.

I tried the compressed air trick where you balloon the boot around the piston, I don't know if I was doing it wrong or what. First I tried it with placeing the piston just in front of the boot hole, when i pumped in the air only one side would baloon out and it was hard to keep the piston stable, so me and someone else tried pushing it in while pushing the compressed air in only to tear the boot in the process. So I was down to one left in my kit. I'm wondering if the air might of been too pressurized? Use a different tip?

Befor using the new boot we tried multiple tricks with the old one. We did the cap of a spray can method, but while pushing it in it was impossible to keep the cap extended to give it enough room.

So I watched a clip on youtube where a guy puts the piston inside the caliper bore befor the boot. Looked to be for a different car but thought I would try it. So I slid the piston in 3/4 of the way placed the boot around the piston than using a punch pressed the outer layer into the piston bore groove. However there was no space to put the metal ring (Metal ring in the shape of a C) The guy in the video didn't use one so thought not a big deal. Put it back on the car pumped the brakes and brake fluid dripped out of the caliper. Made sure it wasn't the banjo bolt.

So I don't know thinking I 'll just buy a whole caliper at this point, I'm going to try a few more things today but I'll probably end up tearing this boot as well. Pain in the ***
Old 10-05-2009, 08:01 AM

Default Re: dust boot piston problem

post some pics. it'll easier for us to help you.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

in my Beck Arnley kit the piston seal that goes further down the bore, is noticeabley tighter than the one that was in it. I figure it's suppose to be so it makes a better seal. But just now taking back apart the caliper I noticed when I took the piston out the new seal I put in was broken? I'm wondering if when I used a C-clamp to put the piston in maybe thats when it ripped so thats why the brake fluid got past that and out the end of the dust boot, make sense?

maybe I should just use the old one that was in it. There were no problems at all with brake fluid leaking, just a bad dust boot.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yup thats what happened, I put another piston seal in my kit around the piston and put it in the hot sun for an hour to try to loosen it a little bit. But when I put it in the piston bore and used a C-clamp to press the piston in; took it out to check and see and the seal was ripped on this one as well. I used a wood board with the clamp to make sure it went in straight and made sure the piston, seal, and bore were lubed well with brake fluid.

so I think this kit from Beck Arnley, made the piston seal too tight. Weird because I usually trust this name for OE quality replacement parts.

The stock one that was in their was noticeably looser, but had NO issues whatsoever with leaking brake fluid.