Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

dual stage vtec????

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 12:16 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual stage vtec????

sweeeet...... ls/vtec swap done! super fast and strong, i love it! just about over 4500rpm vtec hits in my ek hatch! with the ls/vtec with b16 tranny you think 3300rpms at 60mph sounds right? and 3800 at 70mph?

also dual stage vtec is that real or possible? Well its possible cause my civic hit vtec twice, vtec at 4500 and at 6500rpm!

Modified by zerogravitycrx at 1:26 AM 1/14/2006
Old 01-14-2006, 12:19 AM

Default Re: dual stage vtec???? (zerogravitycrx)

wait what>?! are you asking a question or stating a fact? you wanna know if its possible and then you said you did it
Old 01-14-2006, 12:28 AM
Trial User

Default Re: dual stage vtec???? (97spooncivic)

restate: dual stage vtec is that real/possible? Well its possible cause my civic hit vtec twice, vtec at 4500 and at 6500rpm!
Old 01-14-2006, 01:11 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zerogravitycrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">restate: dual stage vtec is that real/possible? Well its possible cause my civic hit vtec twice, vtec at 4500 and at 6500rpm! </TD></TR></TABLE>
It's possible, but not on a head that isn't built that way. There are designs for an infinitely variable cam profile (well, what amounts to the same thing), but we won't get into that. First learn what vtec is and then you'll see how stupid your question sounds.

BTW, you didn't hit vtec twice.

Modified by transpar_nt at 5:24 AM 1/14/2006

Modified by transpar_nt at 3:06 PM 1/14/2006
Old 01-14-2006, 01:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe you just imagined that first vtec, or something. unless you have super cams.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:28 AM

Default Re: dual stage vtec???? (transpar_nt)

...and vtec engages at the same engine speed regardless of vehicle speed or gear.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: dual stage vtec???? (transpar_nt)

dual stage vtec isn't what your thinking about...

it's for example

your driving, foot partialy on throttle... it will activate at for say 5000 rpm "example"
then your driving and you mash throttle, it lowers the time it engages to 3000 rpm
Old 01-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: dual stage vtec???? (G2 Speed)

actually in my brother's B16, when he slowly raises the rpms, Vtec doesnt engage, its only at a certain % of throttle and up, i believe....he'll rev it up to 6.5k slowly without a change in tone then mashes it and "baaAAAAAAAAA!" till the redline.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dual stage vtec???? (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

Dude what you felt/heard was the secondary butterfly in your GSR intake, as far as dual stage vtec there is such a thing actually its 3 -stage vtec and its in a sohc http://asia.vtec.net/article/d15b/
Old 01-14-2006, 09:23 AM

Default Re: dual stage vtec???? (Boostage)

it dosn't sound to me like he has a gsr manifold, most people use b16 heads on ls vtec's. also, the throttle position, engine load, or vehical speed don't effect vtec engagement. the only thing that does is engine speed, and it always happens at the same engine speed. i don't know what you are thinking of, but vtec never engages at 3000rpm's unless you set it at 3000rpms(stupid on a bseries).
Old 01-14-2006, 09:24 AM

Default Re: dual stage vtec???? (Boostage)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostage &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Dude what you felt/heard was the secondary butterfly in your GSR intake, as far as dual stage vtec there is such a thing actually its 3 -stage vtec and its in a sohc http://asia.vtec.net/article/d15b/</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds good to me.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:48 AM

Default Re: dual stage vtec???? (littlegreenb18)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by littlegreenb18 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it dosn't sound to me like he has a gsr manifold, most people use b16 heads on ls vtec's. also, the throttle position, engine load, or vehical speed don't effect vtec engagement. the only thing that does is engine speed, and it always happens at the same engine speed. i don't know what you are thinking of, but vtec never engages at 3000rpm's unless you set it at 3000rpms(stupid on a bseries). </TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually throttle position DOES affect vtec. You have to be at a certian percentage of throttle opening (in a stock ECU) for it to kick on.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:57 AM
R.I.P.

what about ivtec?
Old 01-14-2006, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dual stage vtec???? (honda 3300)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by honda 3300 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what about ivtec? </TD></TR></TABLE>

i-VTEC is a 3 stage Vtec
Old 01-14-2006, 10:09 AM

Default Re: dual stage vtec???? (xEnderx)

vtec came on at any throttle position even when i had my stock p72
Old 01-14-2006, 11:09 AM

My vtech engages when i start my car, then again when I honk my horn, and once again when I go through a red light!

That's nothing... my trueno hit vtech 6 times before i got booed off the forum for asking a question telling story!!

VTECH or VTEC...

I have a no stage VTEC b16a2.. variable timing electronic controlled lift<U></U>

This ''VTEC'' is activated in order to improve gas mileage with a slight boost of power... Its not some magical troll living under ur valve cover that flips a VTECH switch every couple k rpms.

Honda uses it mainly as a ploy; to sell more and more reliable Japanese engines to American consumers, it uses an acronym that has only 4 letters yet; even people who claim to have a sureal and complete profound knowlege of their vehicle don't even know what VTEC stands for

I cry myself to sleep at night thinking about lift duration

I read that out dated link about the 3 stage D15B7 VTEC's vti and EK's... am i to belive these stock cars are running 9's? maybe in a 1/4 kilometer. The 3 stages??? What is it refering to? the actual engagement of VTEC in 3 different ways... or does it just mention the fact that those d15b7's have PGM-Fi and other technologies which have merged and now u have a d15b7 vtec-

May2000 was when WongKN made that personal write up.. suk my ****

Modified by Elwuudz at 12:47 PM 1/14/2006
Old 01-14-2006, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dual stage vtec???? (Elwuudz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Elwuudz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My vtech engages when i start my car, then again when I honk my horn, and once again when I go through a red light!

That's nothing... my trueno hit vtech 6 times before i got booed off the forum for asking a question telling story!!

VTECH or VTEC...

I have a no stage VTEC b16a2.. variable timing electronic controlled lift<U></U>

This ''VTEC'' is activated in order to improve gas mileage... Its not some magical troll living under ur valve cover that flips a VTECH switch every couple k rpms.

Honda uses it mainly as a ploy; to sell more reliable Japanese engines to American consumers, it uses an acronym that has only 4 letters yet; even people who claim to have a sureal and complete profound knowlege of their vehicle don't even know what VTEC stands for

I cry myself to sleep at night thinking about lift duration </TD></TR></TABLE>

Fuhk VTEC buy a VTECH phone! Much cheaper!
Old 01-14-2006, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: dual stage vtec???? (JayDiemB18bCivic)

i swapped my old phone for a VTECH..... that **** pops harrrd as expletive
Old 01-14-2006, 11:22 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Elwuudz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">My vtech engages when i start my car, then again when I honk my horn, and once again when I go through a red light!

VTECH or VTEC...

This ''VTEC'' is activated in order to improve gas mileage... Its not some magical troll living under ur valve cover that flips a VTECH switch every couple k rpms.

Honda uses it mainly as a ploy; to sell more reliable Japanese engines to American consumers, it uses an acronym that has only 4 letters yet; even people who claim to have a sureal and complete profound knowlege of their vehicle don't even know what VTEC stands for

what the hell are you going on about? i really doubt that more that 10% of people here don't know what vtec stands for or what it does. i dont' see any point in criticizing the general honda enthusiast population in order to show you know what vtec is. do you want a parade or something?
Old 01-14-2006, 11:28 AM

hold on....so is it actualy possible to hit vtec twice? or is that just a false statement?!?!

wow this is really heating up haha
Old 01-14-2006, 11:31 AM

Default Re: dual stage vtec???? (DJ_Toocrazy)

vtec is a duel cam profile, once its on its on, that'd be like flipping your light switch, then trying to turn it on again
Old 01-14-2006, 11:31 AM

Default Re: dual stage vtec???? (littlegreenb18)

VTECH or VTEC...

the only way you could have 2 stage vtec is if you have a vtech phone an answer it before you hit vtec. you can hook up vtec to you horn but that doesnt mean just letting it go and pushing it again means multiple stage vtec. and why would vtec engauge when you start a car? that is just shinanagins.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Mr. Indecisive

Default Re: dual stage vtec???? (97spooncivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 97spooncivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the only way you could have 2 stage vtec is if you have a vtech phone an answer it before you hit vtec. you can hook up vtec to you horn but that doesnt mean just letting it go and pushing it again means multiple stage vtec. and why would vtec engauge when you start a car? that is just shinanagins.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is now going way too far...

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zerogravitycrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> with the ls/vtec with b16 tranny you think 3300rpms at 60mph sounds right? and 3800 at 70mph? </TD></TR></TABLE>

those might be gsr gears, i could be wrong but i think im at about 4k at 75mph, and i have a gsr trans
Old 01-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Elwuudz- I guess people with 100k NSX's want to save gas, so it has vtec. oh and the 1988 Honda F1 car. needed to save gas so it had vtec too. oh and lets not forget the Honda VFR 800. a sports bike yup. vtec was made just to save gas, not offer high end hp without sacrificing low end power. I mean hell its not like non vtec Hondas are getting better gas mileage than the vtec ones {sarcasm}
Old 01-14-2006, 12:05 PM

Default Re: dual stage vtec???? (G2 Speed)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by G2 Speed &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dual stage vtec isn't what your thinking about...

it's for example

your driving, foot partialy on throttle... it will activate at for say 5000 rpm "example"
then your driving and you mash throttle, it lowers the time it engages to 3000 rpm</TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">actually in my brother's B16, when he slowly raises the rpms, Vtec doesnt engage, its only at a certain % of throttle and up, i believe....he'll rev it up to 6.5k slowly without a change in tone then mashes it and "baaAAAAAAAAA!" till the redline.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You guys seriously need to shut up until you learn what the hell you're talking about. The ecu doesn't just take into account engine speed. It looks at that, engine load, throttle position, oil pressure and engine temperature. The reason your brother's b16 doesn't change over even at 6.5k is because he's depressing the gas slowly. Vtec only engages once all of the right criteria are met, rpm and a fully depressed throttle included.

And to the meatbag that called vtec a marketing ploy to sell more cars: . It allows two separate cam profiles. One gives great mileage, a nice idle, and better low end response on a tiny motor. The other one enables that same little engine to have almost a full race grind for more fun in higher rpms <u>with the pedal fully depressed</u>. Don't get me wrong, I don't have vtec and I'm not interested in getting it. I'll gladly sacrifice a smooth idle and great gas mileage for an aggressive cam. Vtec does have a very good purpose, just don't become a groupie sackrider like the other 75% of HT.

Quick Reply: dual stage vtec????