Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Dual Bend vs. Single Bend Shifters

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Bend vs. Single Bend Shifters

Making a new thread since no one answers my question in my other post. Also searched, but no topics found.

Can someone tell me the pro's and con's of each. Why do more people prefer dual bend than single? Thanks!!
Old 10-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dual Bend vs. Single Bend Shifters (Dan_the_MaN)

to me the dual bend sits more straight up and the single is at a 45 degree angle, its all preference. Ive had both and will never buy anything but a dual bend SkUnk2
its a high quality piece!!! Dont forget your SkUnk 2 **** !
Old 10-10-2005, 07:10 PM

Default Re: Dual Bend vs. Single Bend Shifters (dorkoftheyear)

its all preference. ppl just prefer dual because it places the shift **** where they like it. thats all.
Old 10-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Dual Bend vs. Single Bend Shifters (Street Ghost)

GSR shifter with a Skunk 2 ****, is all i use now, no matter what car
Old 10-10-2005, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Street Ghost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its all preference. ppl just prefer dual because it places the shift **** where they like it. thats all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what he said
Old 10-10-2005, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dual Bend vs. Single Bend Shifters (99blackcivicSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99blackcivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GSR shifter with a Skunk 2 ****, is all i use now, no matter what car </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you switch from that heavy *** skunk **** to one that you can feel with, aka the razo *****....i switched from mine, things feel soooo much better.....i used to love the skunk, but it just feels clumsy next to my current razo....
Old 10-10-2005, 08:56 PM

Default Re: Dual Bend vs. Single Bend Shifters (mgags7)

Can you guys post pics of your dual bend shifters? Not sure if this is for me, since I already sit close to the steering wheel.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

werd! been happy with this setup in my hatch for the last 3 years and combine with es bushings, its the best bang per buck combo.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 99blackcivicSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">GSR shifter with a Skunk 2 ****, is all i use now, no matter what car </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 10-10-2005, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dual Bend vs. Single Bend Shifters (Dan_the_MaN)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Dan_the_MaN &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can you guys post pics of your dual bend shifters? Not sure if this is for me, since I already sit close to the steering wheel.</TD></TR></TABLE>

the **** is pretty much in the same place with each kind of shifter. the difference is that the **** is more upright with a dual bend, more angled back with a single bend. the dual doesn't put the **** any closer to the driver.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

can you explain why this is a good setup?...not very familiar with shifters and *****...have a em1 by the way.

sorry if this is stealing your thread...maybe it'll help you out too
Old 10-11-2005, 12:57 AM

i have a B&M short shifter and it has no bend... just straight... i love it and wouldnt buy anything else
Old 10-11-2005, 01:53 AM

to me the dual bend makes gears 2-4-R closer than they are. Ive had both and the only reason i like the dual more is because the way the **** sits.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:58 AM

Default Re: (Lekz)

how tall is the b&m short throw?????
Old 10-11-2005, 06:15 AM

Default Re: (young noob)

is the EM1 stock shifter a straight, single bend?
Old 10-11-2005, 07:31 AM
lulz

anyone else have a problem when you got a shifter in getting it into gear sometimes? cuz sometimes mine you have to jam it into gear and ill push the clutch a couple times just to see if it helps and it will still go and do that any help?
Old 10-11-2005, 07:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

We have Skunk2 single bend shifters in our 92 and 93 Si's. Both shift fine and have a real nice feel. Funny thing is, installed both of them and they do feel a bite different, both were installed with new bushing kits. Thought they were done a year apart.
Old 10-11-2005, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (young noob)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by young noob &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">how tall is the b&m short throw?????</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have a B&M dual bend in my hatch and I love it. It is about 6" from the bottom of the boot to the top of the ****.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (auctionaccess)

im using a gsr shifter along with a gsr shift ****. i was previously using a no bend b&m short shifter which sat a lot closer to the dash and lower than the gsr shifter. im a tall guy and i was sick of always reaching for the shifter. when you are in second with a single bend stock civic shifter it seems to me that the shifter sits at an odd angle.

gsr shifter, gsr shift ****
Old 10-11-2005, 09:21 AM

Default Re: (ejprimo)

i fabbed my own shifter out of carbon fiber, jdm style
Old 10-11-2005, 10:43 AM

Default Re: (GripStar)

hahahah, i want to see a photo
Old 10-17-2005, 07:17 AM
lulz

yes please post a pic of the carbon fiber shifter i dont know how well it would hold up on a hard shift from 1st to 2nd especilly when i know ppl who have broken metal ones like that.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (92'BluV-tecHatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92’BluV-tecHatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anyone else have a problem when you got a shifter in getting it into gear sometimes? cuz sometimes mine you have to jam it into gear and ill push the clutch a couple times just to see if it helps and it will still go and do that any help?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thats an indication that your synchros are bad. I'm assuming it grinds to some extent when you shift fast near redline? FYI jamming/forcing it into gear is a great way to bend shift forks. My vote is that your tranny needs a rebuilt.

As for the shifter, the dual bend just feels better to me. I wanted a shortthrow more for reach problems, since I have to sit farther back (w/left hand at 10oclock). Very precise, very strong, <U>same height as stock</U>.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (HiProfile)

Pro's and cons ? All I can say is don't bother. I had a Skunk2 dual bend, it actually made it more difficult to shift smooth and in fact sometimes made it impossible to downshift to 2nd. I hated it, I swapped it back for my stock Si shifter and never looked back.

Also, these things as far as I can tell make no difference to your shift times, I timed my 0-60 run and it was no different with the short shifter. In fact at high speeds the problem is amplified. As for track use well it's game over, I used mine twice at donnington and was missing more shifts than I care to imagine.

Just my opinion, but stick to what you have, or swap for a type-r shifter, its dual bend and has a nice feel to it for a stock job. You will only kick yourself for wasting your time and your money.

Hope that helps,

- Prob

Old 10-17-2005, 10:54 AM

Default Re: (Problemo)

i have never seen a stock itr or gsr shifter for sale
do you know where i could pick one up
thanks
Old 10-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Street Ghost &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its all preference. ppl just prefer dual because it places the shift **** where they like it. thats all.</TD></TR></TABLE>

what this guy said

i had a skunk2 dual bend short shifter for about 2 years and i loved it - more forward placement for the shift **** and easier for me to shift and i looked better (IMO). I had 2 prior single bend short shifters and i liked them, just not as much. The stock shifter is fine too. It's mostly cosmetic, you won't notice a HUGE difference in shifting.

Quick Reply: Dual Bend vs. Single Bend Shifters