Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Dry drop in filter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dry drop in filter?

Whats the best dry drop in filter on the market? I dont want a wet type drop in cause i heard of the numerous oil in sensors problems.
Old 10-22-2006, 07:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dry drop in filter? (turnsignalandy)

oem maybe? whats your beef with k&n?
Old 10-22-2006, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dry drop in filter? (92'si)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92’si &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oem maybe? whats your beef with k&n?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Errr iono who's beefin what with k&n but k&n gets my vote .

That or AEM.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dry drop in filter? (Syndacate)

isnt k&n a wet type filter, meanig that it has some kind of oil in the filter. From search around HT, over time the oil from the filter gets in the sensors and messes them up..
Old 10-22-2006, 08:31 PM

so far, all filters on market requires oil eg. k&n except aem which has a dry flo filter which requires cleaning only and no oil.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ATEJ8FTW)

I saw those for $45 which seemed like a good deal. Is there anyway one would fit on my stock intake arm?
Old 10-22-2006, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A K&N intake won't expletive up your sensors.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

the k&n filters were messing up the mass airflow sensors on some cars. most hondas dont have MAF's so you really dont need to worry

but i heard K&N started making oil free filters, you should look into that if youre interested
Old 10-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

FRAM!!!
Old 10-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Heylookits shawn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Heylookits shawn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the k&n filters were messing up the mass airflow sensors on some cars. most hondas dont have MAF's so you really dont need to worry

but i heard K&N started making oil free filters, you should look into that if youre interested</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is the whole oil deal only for drop-ins, or do they do it to the CAI filters too?
Old 10-22-2006, 08:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

i think cai too
Old 10-22-2006, 08:46 PM
H-T White Ops

I want to see these threads you found that have people bitching about oil from filters screwing up sensors.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (IslandSi)

Those complaints are from people who put god knows how much oil on the filter, which was sucked into the intake manifold, and screwed up the MAF sensor.

If you clean and oil your filter correctly, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 10-23-2006, 12:06 AM
H-T White Ops

Default Re: (ddd4114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ddd4114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Those complaints are from people who put god knows how much oil on the filter, which was sucked into the intake manifold, and screwed up the MAF sensor.

If you clean and oil your filter correctly, you shouldn't have a problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So operator error/stupidity. That's kinda what I figured. Like people hydrolocking their motors. It's not the intake's fault that the driver's a moron.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:43 AM

Default Re: (IslandSi)

There is no problem with wet filters whatsoever...

I have a K&N wet drop-in filter for 4 years now and I had NO PROBLEMS ever...

It is quiet as a stock filter (I don't like loud intakes), it filters OK, and it has so much better flow than the stock filter...

I cleaned it 3 times sofar and lubed it... once I put too much oil on it and all it did is this... oil dripped down and stayed in the rubber part of the filter element (Y7 has an angled filter position)

NONE of the oil came into the TB... and you can't miss cos the oil is RED so every single drop leaves a stain... so if there was oil in the TB, there is NO CHANCE I would miss it...

And my TB is clean as hell...

I just took out the filter, got rid of excess oil and put it back in and that's it...

Works like a charm...
Old 10-23-2006, 08:10 AM
Banned

Modified by CardDealer at 4:36 AM 11/16/2006
Old 10-23-2006, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dry drop in filter? (schlit)

This is from the K&N site:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The K&N People &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">7. Will a K&N filter cause my vehicle’s mass air sensor to fail?

At this time, K&N is unaware of any evidence that K&N air filter oil from a K&N air filter can damage or cause the malfunction of a MAF sensor, regardless of the make of the vehicle involved. K&N takes seriously any claim that one of its products is incompatible with its designated application or can damage or cause the malfunction of any automotive component. Such claims are thoroughly investigated and, when appropriate, testing is undertaken to determine their merit. In the case of MAF sensors, ongoing tests have shown that contamination from K&N air filter oil has not caused any failures or malfunctions of the MAF sensors in the test vehicles. K&N is aware that MAF sensors can become contaminated for a variety of reasons, unrelated to a K&N air filter (such as backfiring, blowby, leaking airbox or leaking intake duct) and that various methods have been used by some service departments and repair shops to clean a dirty or contaminated MAF sensor, such as spraying with an appropriate cleaner.

[...]

27. How much oil should I use to re-oil my filter after it is cleaned?

To determine the amount of oil needed for your filter, enter your filter's K&N part number in the Search by Part box on our Application Search Page. If you don't know the part number you can look it up on the same page. Be careful not to over oil your filter.</TD></TR></TABLE>
That being said, my vote still goes to K&N for the best drop-in filter.

I would vote for AEM's dryflow filter, but as far as I know, they do not make drop-in's, only replacement conical filters for aftermarket intake systems.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dry drop in filter? (ddd4114)

would a replacement cone drylfow filter fit on my stock intake in any way?
Old 10-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im using am oem wix or napa gold air filter.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by turnsignalandy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">would a replacement cone drylfow filter fit on my stock intake in any way?</TD></TR></TABLE>
I would do one of the following:

1) get an aftermarket intake system and use a dryflow filter. Cheapo ebay piping is fine. Buy the cheapest one there, throw the filter away, and get one from AEM. If you have to worry about CARB exemptions, then get a genuine AEM intake. I think all of theirs come with their dryflow filter now, but I'm not 100% sure.

2) Get a K&N drop in filter and realize that you seriously have to TRY to expletive up your car with it.

3) leave your intake alone. Fram and Purolator will do just fine.
Old 10-23-2006, 01:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dry drop in filter? (ddd4114)

what if I cut my resonator tubing in two and run it like a CAI or Icebox setup? Will it be worth anything.
Old 10-23-2006, 02:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm sure you could fab something up, but I seriously do not think it's worth your time.

Why are you still against a K&N drop in filter?
Old 10-23-2006, 04:56 PM

again island, i have to say your on here for a negative reason.....I too am against the K&N, the oil has reached my TPS and MAP. Ive pulled the IM and found purple residue there. This stuff does get into your sensors.

However i think the only reason it got in there, was because i put the filter on and drove off, only 30 minutes after i re-oiled the filter. I think you may want to wait a few hours.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by YoungKadafi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">However i think the only reason it got in there, was because i put the filter on and drove off, only 30 minutes after i re-oiled the filter. I think you may want to wait a few hours.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Their instructions recommend 20min (if properly oiled), so it's hard to determine if that was the real cause. It's probably a good idea to wait longer than a half hour, though.

Did you follow these instructions?
http://www.knfilters.com/clningins.htm

Also, I don't know what engine you have in your car, but I used the application page for a d16z6 to determine the amount of oil you should use: http://www.knfilters.com/searc...-2047

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The K&N People &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 0.87 oz (26 ml)</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's not very much oil at all...

I'm not accusing you of anything, but I just want to put all the evidence on the table before anybody makes a conclusion.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:04 PM
Banned

Default Re: (ddd4114)

Modified by CardDealer at 4:35 AM 11/16/2006

Quick Reply: Dry drop in filter?