Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

dropping the del sol: parts list

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2003, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dropping the del sol: parts list

im looking to drop my del sol probably about 1.5 -2 inches.
any help is appreciated
im looking for a complete part's list that i need to purchase
so i dont have to worry about camber/toe. i have a 94' del sol
VTEC and have no expirence with suspension setups. is this a
project that a mechanical newb could accomplish or am i better
off to have a shop do this for me?
i have about $1,000 to spend, but i do want some extra cash left over to spend on some other upgrades. im not looking to auto x or drag race, i just want some quality parts at a reasonable price.
thanx in advance.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:31 PM

Location: Rowena Galam is the hottest., stripper ville, arizona
Default Re: dropping the del sol: parts list (turbomonkeyexpress)

i went with tokico gas shock neuspeed springs and a skuunk 2 camber kit, sorry to bust your bubble but you want quality you need cash and anytime you drop your car you always take in consideration camber and toe. I would reccomend spending the cash now, I learned the hard way about camber. bought parada spec 2's like 180 each and within 2 months my tires were shot. I'm only dropped 1.5 in in the front on my sol.
Old 01-26-2003, 05:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If all you're concerned with is the "dropped" appearance, ignore this post.

For low-level ameteur or street driving, I recommend the Tokico Illumina - Progress Spring combination. The street spec Illuminas have a lifetime warranty, are adjustable, and this combination has been proven to produce very good results. You can get these parts for under $500 total, some people have been able to get them for much less too Save the rest for tires.

Reminder: A full suspension is a system. The change of one part will affect the vehicle's moving behavior dynamics. You'll get the best results with a full setup with parts that have been properly matched to your needs.

If you want to dump all of your money at once, you could go ahead and get a fully adjustable coilover kit, but make sure you know how to use all of those features properly.

Edit: I forgot to mention that such suspension work is relatively easy for anyone with a sense of mechanical assembly. In colder climates, like yours, you may want to have it professionally installed, particularly on the rear. The bolts that connect to the rear LCAs have been known to sieze or break when removed, and that is not very fun. You could soak it with liquid wrench or some other penetrant for a while before removal as a mitigating solution.

And to the people on the "worn tire issue".. when changing the suspension geometry with an item such as a spring or shock, it is likely the toe that is eating up the tire as opposed to camber wear. Camber wear is apparent over a long period of time and driving whereas the wear affects of toe will be much more prominent. In other words: The camber kit is not 'absolutely necessary', provided that you get a proper alignment for street driving soon or immediately afterwards. If you are concerned about rear camber wear, you can shim the rear control arm bolts with a washer or two as a very cheap solution.

-Hash

[Modified by Hash Browns, 2:48 AM 1/27/2003]
Old 01-26-2003, 05:57 PM

Default Re: dropping the del sol: parts list (Hash Browns)

hey hash browns, thanx. Yes, i am concerned with the dropped appearance, but performance still matters to me. (im planning on putting on some 16's and i dont want to seem like im goin' muddin' any time soon) i also am concerned with as you say low level/ameteur/ street driving.
being that i am in wisconsin, you'd recommend a pro-installation? what's the starting price approx for one of those?
im interested in dropping it too. how much drop am i given with this progress spring +illumina setup?
could i go cheaper with some blue's (HP?)
Old 01-26-2003, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Eibach Pro-Kit.

Then either Tokico Illuminas or KYB AGX....

Get it installed at a professional shop.... shouldnt be more than $200 to install all four....
Old 01-26-2003, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Eibach makes a kit that will drop it 1.8. I think it's the pro kit, but it might be the sportlines. I can't remember.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:08 PM

Default Re: dropping the del sol: parts list (Happyman)

pro kit is 1.5.. i think it's sportline. is that just the coil or is that the coil and the can?
Old 01-26-2003, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would say with $1000 to spend, do it right the first time and go with the Tein SS coilover kit. You can pick them up for $850-950 shipped if you ask around. You could then adjust the ride height and firmness to your own tastes. If that's too much then you could always go with KYB AGX adjustable struts and a set of Eibach Pro Kits, Sportlines, Neuspeed Sports, Tein or H&R Sports. Any of those springs would give you at or near the drop you want and a nice smooth ride.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Pro-Kit drops the Del Sol about 1.2.
Sportlines about 1.6.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A sixteen inch wheel has no available tire that will match your factory rolling diameter. Remember this and that any "quoted" drops from factory will not be valid for your application, assuming you go with a 16" wheel and tire combination. Additionally, for the delsol, there aren't any reliable measurements of change in ride height relative to the Delsol VTEC which has a different coilover assembly than the S or Si models.

If you want to get the "ideal drop", you'll need a height adjustable suspension and that means threaded sleeves or a matched coilover assembly with height adjustability. I'm personally opposed to going with a threaded coil-sleeve spring unit such as the ground control, skunk2, etc due to issues of the spring separating from the perch upon full suspension extension.

If you do the rear suspension, and the bolt that attaches the coilover assembly (shock base) to the LCA is seized and breaks, you're stuck like the bolt fragment. That isn't fun. If the risk is worth taking, in your opinion, go and do it. If I were to get it professionally installed, I wouldn't pay more than the labor price for replacing the shock with an OEM unit. The labor is exactly the same, and if you're using a shorter spring, no spring compressor is necessary for reassembly. Prices for doing so are normally quoted per corner.

And that reminds me, if you do it yourself, get a spring compressor when disassembling the factory coilover assembly.

If you're using springs with higher spring rates or reducing ride height, don't go with an OEM-level replacement such as the Tokico Blue or KYB GR2. They aren't meant to last under the increased load and stress.

Street spec Koni Yellows or Tokico Illuminas are a good pick for performance and warranty. The KYB AGX shocks are also a nice unit, but have more stipulations on 'proper use' for the warranty to remain valid.
Old 01-26-2003, 06:30 PM

so, i like the sounds of this Warranty idea...
and i may just stick with stock wheels..

so if i baught tokico illumina's and some eibach GC's

would that be a good combo, and what if anything else do i need?
Old 01-26-2003, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Eibach does not make Ground-Control. Ground-Control uses Eibach springs but that is all. Also, I don't really like the tokicos. I'd prefer KYB myself.

[Modified by Happyman, 7:42 PM 1/26/2003]
Old 01-26-2003, 06:45 PM

A sixteen inch wheel has no available tire that will match your factory rolling diameter.
Yeah, but you can get pretty close with any of the several 205/40/16, 205/45/16 or 215/40/16 tires that are out there.

Its a tough choice to make, suspension-wise. I waited and got a set of matched coilovers so I could avoid the hit and miss matching of springs and shocks. I have been entirely happy with mine.

Do the install yourself, use lots o' lube like HashBrowns said and learn a little more about your car too. You can get a spring compressor from most auto parts stores, all you need is a deposit which you'll get 100% refunded when you return your part.

Look at the HOW2 section of my site (see sig) and I have a detailed how 2 for the installation of coilovers.

HTH!

Steve
Old 01-26-2003, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is what I suggest:

Lowering Springs: Tein S-tech (1.9 drop front and 1.7 Rear)
Shocks: Koni Reds (adjustable shocks but to adjust them you have to remove them off the car)

Skunk2 21 rear sway bar (an option if you want to tighten up handling even further)

this setup is very affordable and upgrades your handling very nicely. Plus you get the high quality names Tein and Koni which you know are infamous for being the best.

As well dont worry about camber, just get a really good alignment but you can fix your camber in the rear by using the washer and bolt trick.

just a note EIBACH SUCKS...they sag...and you dont want that

[Modified by EL-Driver, 4:03 AM 1/27/2003]
Old 01-26-2003, 07:06 PM

Default Re: dropping the del sol: parts list (EL-Driver)

ok, saying that, where's a good place i can obtain these? any reliable stores that people trust?