Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

drop in electrical power effecting performance?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 09:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drop in electrical power effecting performance?

Heres my situation:
Sometimes i notice that when idling, the dash lights dim as well as my headlights. but soon as i rev the engine they brighten up to normal. In addition, everytime i put my turn signal on, i can hear it draining/drawing power from the Walbro 255 fuel pump at every blink. Also, when i turn the fan (not A/C) on full blast, the interior light dims. Some lights dim sometimes when nitrous is engauged. I know just from purging the system for a bit at idle, the volts drop right below 11.

Here's my set-up
93 del sol. Nitrous Express wet system.
I have had a Hawker Genesis G16EP lightweight battery in my Del Sol for almost 2 years now and it runs/starts my engine fine. I also have a Civic Type-R N1 race pulley on my crank, which is significantly lighter than the OE piece. In addition i have a 9 lb. Exedy flywheel. Stock alternator from 93, i believe.

Heres my question:
Whats the problem & cause of it? Is there even a problem with this power drain? Can the power drain be effecting fuel pump output and therefore engine performance, especially when nitrous is engauged and drawing so so many amps from the battery?
How can i fix this problem?: beefing up the wiring to the fuel pump? getting a power grounding system? getting a new alternator? getting a bigger battery? getting one of those fuel pump electricity controles/amplifiers?

thanks for any info.

-ROB
Old 09-17-2004, 09:25 PM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: drop in electrical power effecting performance? (sol2nr)

I think you just got a bad ground somewhere. If not test your alternator. Is N1 pulley smaller in diameter, that might be your problem.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: drop in electrical power effecting performance? (ABK)

Get your alt. tested before it kills out your batt. Im more then sure its your alt.
Old 09-17-2004, 09:46 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Is N1 pulley smaller in diameter, that might be your problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>
can't remember off hand. someone else chime in on that. I know it was significantly lighter than stock b/c only has 1 pulley, not 3 for a/c and p/s.

Am i losing performance?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ABK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think you just got a bad ground somewhere. </TD></TR></TABLE>

could be. because i have my battery relocated, and wasn't done that nicely by myself. but always held up w/out problems for about a year now. i'll have to check that also.

ALSO!!!..not sure if related. could this problem be related to my ECU fuse blowing twice in one week the next morning after hard nitrous abuse...then never happening again? And related to a separate week of continuous radio fuse blowing b/c of my gauges being hooked up in line w/ that fuse? Weird thing is it never happens the months before, while the gauges were hooked up, but they would keep blowing for a week....and then the problem would stop, and not happen anymore.

keep the suggestions coming.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: drop in electrical power effecting performance? (sol2nr)

You have a short somewhere, if your blowing fuses then follow the wiring to see what is making them short.

and FYI performance and battery / alternator output go hand in hand.
Old 09-18-2004, 09:40 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: drop in electrical power effecting performance? (BatuKing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BatuKing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You have a short somewhere, if your blowing fuses then follow the wiring to see what is making them short.

and FYI performance and battery / alternator output go hand in hand. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think he said anything about blowing fuses. I think that's it's a bad ground somewhere. But get everything tested, you will know for sure.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:22 AM

maybe i'll swap to a bigger battery and see if i still get power drain. if i do, then get the alternator checked.