Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

driveshafts popped out of diff housing...lost fluid - whats the damage ?

Old 09-30-2005, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driveshafts popped out of diff housing...lost fluid - whats the damage ?

hey all - quick question.

Yesterday i just finished a Dseries swap ( so what ? I plan to turbo it ) BUT my question is -

After this morning , i decided to jkump in and go for a slow drive to the shop and back( new clutch and flywheel) - BUT after a short time i noticed a clunk clunk noise...slowed down - realised it was from the tranny somewhere so stopped and jumped out and checked underneath. Slow pool of MTF enlarging below the diff housing DAM.

Ive got the car towed back to my place where it sits on jack stands waiting for the driveshafts to be properly "clinked" in ( instead of loosely inserted it seems) so my question is = What considerable damage COULD i have done ?

*worried*
Old 09-30-2005, 08:40 AM

Default Re: driveshafts popped out of diff housing...lost fluid - whats the damage ? (bennjamin@ozhonda.com)

just pop em back in and dont worry about it. If they dont go in... then worry, but you should be fine if you caught it quickly.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:44 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: driveshafts popped out of diff housing...lost fluid - whats the damage ? (bennjamin@ozhonda.com)

LOL thats hysterical. I literally had the same situation for me a few weeks ago. I had to get my clutch fixed within one saturday. And I was sick. The pass axle popped out on the highway, i slowed down. Had to get towed to my house because i wasn't about to hop under my car 3 inches from cars doing 80mph.

I doubt you did any damage. If everything looks okay pop them back in and make sure they CLICK this time. They are all the way on. A friend of mine forgot to do this while he was helping me... There is a check bolt located on the pass side of the engine/transmission. 19mm above where the axle for that side is inserted. Take the plug out and put your finger in, you could be able to poke down slightly and feel oil. You can drain and refill if you want, the drain plug is on the same side but lower and towads the front more. Access from underneath with an extension. Takes 2 - 2.5 Quarts 10w-30 or Honda MTF.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:46 PM

if you get the axles in all the way and it still leaks. check the axle seals on the tranny where the axle goes into the tranny. oh and front wheel drive cars don't have driveshafts. sorry for being a dick head, but maybe the axle seal thing will help you out.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hopefully the axle is not damaged and you can just pop it back in ...simular incident happened to my cousin but ...the axle got popped out and then the groves on the axle was flattened out and we couldnt pop it back in.....well hopefully nothing happened to yours ..
Old 10-01-2005, 01:54 AM

Default Re: driveshafts popped out of diff housing...lost fluid - whats the damage ? (underb00steg6)

thanks for all the replies - btw i guess "driveshafts" is just a loose term used in Australia lol.

Anyway , the car is in my garage on jackstands , ready to pop out, then "CLICK" back in the shafts. The midhsaft only popped put of the housing ever so slightly - enough to loose pretty much all MTF tho. Wish me luck !
Old 10-05-2005, 05:30 PM

good luck. hope u fix the problem.