Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Drivers Side Door/Dome Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers Side Door/Dome Light

I have a 97 Honda Civic EX, and I have installed an aftermarket stereo. Now at first the ceiling light did not turn at all when I opened the doors. I did some research, found out the problem was the light green wires and spliced them together, and then walaah, everything worked great. Now just today I was putting wire caps on all the wires as some of them were just electrical tape, and then all of a sudden when I open the drivers side door the light does not come on. The sensor is good because it gives the chime when the keys are in and door open as well as if the headlights are on. The passenger side door works fine. I am lost as to what could have caused this problem all of a sudden. Any help would be awesome. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2012, 03:14 AM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Drivers Side Door/Dome Light

Check fuses for a start.
Old 03-29-2012, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm almost positive it's not the fuses. The dome light works when I switch it to the far right, and also when it's in the middle if I open the passenger side door the light comes on fine. Is there a fuse just for the drivers side door light?
Old 03-29-2012, 06:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John Anderson
I'm almost positive it's not the fuses. The dome light works when I switch it to the far right, and also when it's in the middle if I open the passenger side door the light comes on fine. Is there a fuse just for the drivers side door light?
Should be same circuit.

Check the driver's door pin.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sorry but what's the pin? Is that the switch on the drivers side door?
Old 03-29-2012, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Open the door, I think in the door jam area should be a little pressable button sort of like a thumb tack looking thing, see if you can press it in by hand or is it stuck.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've already looked into that. The switch is good. When I open the door with the lights on it chimes and beeps with keys in. Which means the switch is good right?
Old 03-29-2012, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've already looked into that. The switch is good. When I open the door with the lights on it chimes and beeps with keys in. Which means the switch is good right?
Find the switch on the door jamb, push it in with you finger to see if the lights go off, make sure it is not broken or crushed.

if the passenger door makes the light go on and off then it prob the switch at the driver's door or a break in the wiring from the door to the circuit.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The switches are good. I just swapped the drivers side and passengers side and the same problem persists. If there is a break between the switch and the circuit, how do I fix this? Is there any work around?
Old 03-30-2012, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The switches are good. I just swapped the drivers side and passengers side and the same problem persists. If there is a break between the switch and the circuit, how do I fix this? Is there any work around?

Just to be clear the light does work if you turn it on by hand or passenger door?

You will need to trace the wiring from the door to the light and track down the break. I assume it is a pain.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes it works when I turn the light on manually or when I open the passengers side door. I figured I might have to do that. Instead I got some wire and spliced the wire from the door switch and am going to run it to the green/red and green/white wires on my car stereo and it should work, I tested it this morning. Just need to finish running the wire back there and hiding it so it doesn't look horrible. A kind of round about way to do it I know, but it's fine for me. Thanks for all the help.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes it works when I turn the light on manually or when I open the passengers side door. I figured I might have to do that. Instead I got some wire and spliced the wire from the door switch and am going to run it to the green/red and green/white wires on my car stereo and it should work, I tested it this morning. Just need to finish running the wire back there and hiding it so it doesn't look horrible. A kind of round about way to do it I know, but it's fine for me. Thanks for all the help.
I am wondering if you would need to fuse it.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, thats a good thought. If I wanted to fuse it, what fuse would I need and how exactly do I set that up? I'm not an expert with wiring. But if I do need to fuse it I would prefer to do it now that the wire is already out and it would be an easy fix.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You can buy an inline fuse and just solder it in like 2 bucks at a parts store, some are glass style.