Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

driver side axle help?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 driver side axle help?

im replacing the driver side cv axle on my 94 civic ex, i know i have to remove the axle nut of course, and a few other bolts, then once i can take the axle off, i break the rivet clamp on the boot that connect the axle to the tranny and take it off, what do i need to do to install the cv axle to avoid installing it wrong?
Old 03-28-2011, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: driver side axle help?

Theres really one one way to install the new axle. Check the axle seal to see if it needs replaced or is in good condition. Took me about 45 mins to take old axle out and put new one in.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DelsolVted
Theres really one one way to install the new axle. Check the axle seal to see if it needs replaced or is in good condition. Took me about 45 mins to take old axle out and put new one in.
alrite thanks, im doing it after i get out of school today, im hoping it all goes smoothly!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:14 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

You don't undo that clamp. Put a large scewdriver between the inner joint and the transmission and give it a quick snap to pop the inner joint out of the transmission. You will loose some transmission fluid so make sure you have some to top up the transmission when you're done.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

myself and a friend were going to replace my drivers side CV axel and we broke a 1/2inch extension and 2 1/2 inch ratchets.. im not talking the teeth im talking the head taht inserts into the socket... and then we got a breaker bar and that could not get it and we even used a cheater bar on the breaker bar and the nut did not budge...
Old 03-28-2011, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
You don't undo that clamp. Put a large scewdriver between the inner joint and the transmission and give it a quick snap to pop the inner joint out of the transmission. You will loose some transmission fluid so make sure you have some to top up the transmission when you're done.
i realized im actually taking the whole joint from the transmission not opening the boot like i was doing to take axles off from the junkyard awhile ago, so i wouldnt be breaking that clamp, my mistake. thank you very much for the heads up on the transmission fluid! How much do you think id need?
Old 03-28-2011, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Kuhniee
myself and a friend were going to replace my drivers side CV axel and we broke a 1/2inch extension and 2 1/2 inch ratchets.. im not talking the teeth im talking the head taht inserts into the socket... and then we got a breaker bar and that could not get it and we even used a cheater bar on the breaker bar and the nut did not budge...
wow, im reaaaally hoping i dont have THAT much trouble, i had less trouble taking them off old civics in the junkyard lol
Old 03-28-2011, 10:28 AM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by jmurphy
thank you very much for the heads up on the transmission fluid! How much do you think id need?
Less than a quart IIRC, I don't recall that all that much comes out when you pull the axle.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do you have a crows foot(a tool to pop ball joints). Other poeple call it other names. I just put new axles in and the driver side was a pain to get out. The passenger side poped out as soon as the nut came off, but the drivers side took some wailing on the crows foot to get it to pop.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:16 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by Project Dad
do you have a crows foot(a tool to pop ball joints). Other poeple call it other names. I just put new axles in and the driver side was a pain to get out. The passenger side poped out as soon as the nut came off, but the drivers side took some wailing on the crows foot to get it to pop.
You mean a ball joint/tie rod separator/pickle fork? The only time I've heard the term crow foot used in terms of mechanics tools is in regards to crow foot wrenches. Personally I'd sooner use a hammer and beat on the LCA, or use the we-todd-it-racing ratchet method. The pickle fork tends to rip the boot. There is a proper ball joint separator as well, but I'm not overly fond of them either.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pickle fork thats it, i always get that reaction when I call it a crows foot. a crows foot is actually like an open-end-wrech end that goes on a rachet/torque wrench/etc

they doo tear the boot and I will need to replace it now, but its all I had with out hitting other places (BTW still new to Honda's and learning their tips/qwirks)
Old 03-28-2011, 01:33 PM
Seagull Management

we-todd-it-racing lower ball joint removal method:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISY8bGof3bQ
Old 03-28-2011, 02:03 PM
Trial User

hi i just bought a 94 prelude si but motor not original dont kno bout tranny either... now would i just buy the axle for the 94 si can anyone help me im new here and dont know how to start post thanks
Old 03-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol I see. Tried that one too with no luck. I used the pickle fork as my last option available
Old 03-29-2011, 04:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by dub253
hi i just bought a 94 prelude si but motor not original dont kno bout tranny either... now would i just buy the axle for the 94 si can anyone help me im new here and dont know how to start post thanks
hi, if i can offer any advice, the only thing i can really think of is inspect them for their VIN numbers and cross reference that with a guide on how to read VINs
Old 03-29-2011, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

@Project Dad i dont have a pickle fork, i went through i couple faqs yesterday and saw where to hit with a hammer on the lower control arm. the faqs i found were very detailed, step by step with pics included

@94EG8 alrite thanks again for the heads up on the fluid
Old 04-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem with my 02 Civic. Go to Wal-Mart. Plumbing department. Pick up a propane torch kit (about $15) and heat the LCA. Be careful not to apply heat to the boot. Flame does not need to be that high. Grease will liquify and drip. Don't sweat that. If you use the method in the above video, just leave the wrench in place and after heating for a few minutes, tap the LCA with a hammer. Should pop right out. You shouldn't even break a sweat. Pickle fork will trash not only the boot, but could trash you ball joint as well.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nice vid