Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

drilling out stock cat - can or cant

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drilling out stock cat - can or cant

So i dont want to mess around trying to find a cat that fits and im going to go test pipe anyway, so what would be the best thing to use to drill through the stock cat and make it open pipe?
Old 12-01-2006, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: drilling out stock cat - can or cant (drumminforev)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumminforev &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So i dont want to mess around trying to find a cat that fits and im going to go test pipe anyway, so what would be the best thing to use to drill through the stock cat and make it open pipe?</TD></TR></TABLE>

wear an osha dust mask, get a bag and perhaps a long flat blade screw driver or a blunt object like a hammer's end and mash it. getting a universal welded in isnt' an option??
Old 12-01-2006, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: drilling out stock cat - can or cant (chrisw85)

It is, im trying to find someone to weld right now in tucson az
Old 12-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You shouldn't destroy a perfectly good cat, you may need it for an emissions testing.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The reason im replacing it is because its not perfectly good in anyway

its full of carbon and restricting my power
Old 12-01-2006, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im def drillin it. 30 bucks to weld crappy flanged on. i didnt plan on spending 80 bucks on a cat
Old 12-01-2006, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drumminforev &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The reason im replacing it is because its not perfectly good in anyway

its full of carbon and restricting my power</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then get a huge prybar, or wrecking bar and hammer away.

Old 12-01-2006, 11:41 AM

wait what kinda cat is it? i did the same thing as you, smashed the cat up, now its the worst thing i have ever done, went to test pipe, and now im going crazy trying to find a cat again.

honest opinion, dont do it, you will miss your cat like your left arm. PLEASE if you do get a test pipe, sell me your cat
Old 12-01-2006, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

why don't you just get a high flow cat? I got a Magna-Flow high-flow cat for $70 bucks and it frees up more power than an OEM cat. I also don't have to worry about not passing emmisions either
Old 12-01-2006, 01:20 PM

Default Re: drilling out stock cat - can or cant (sicones)

most high flows for 70 don't have the flanges welded on....cheapest magnaflow I found was 106...which is a steal......don't go catless, worst mistake ull make
Old 12-05-2006, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: drilling out stock cat - can or cant (YoungKadafi)

why is it the worst mistake ever. i been driving around straight downpipe with no o2 sensor and i know the pain of the smell. but with a test pipe and my new o2, it would not stink, and i already have a 15" resonator, so it wont sound raspy, so why not?
Old 12-05-2006, 05:00 PM

seriously destroying the cat is the worst way togo. just remove it and test pipe it.
Old 12-05-2006, 05:05 PM

Default Re: (Hebrew-Hammer)

Unless,

You have another good cat ( for emission test), go ahead drill it.

It would be a good "sleeper" car, in case you got pulled over by a nerdy cop who's gonna crawl / look under your car, see if your car is 100% Legal or not ( you know what it means)
Old 12-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Hebrew-Hammer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hebrew-Hammer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">seriously destroying the cat is the worst way togo. just remove it and test pipe it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so true....pounded out 2 good cats...no powergain...just freaken loud and anyoying..
Old 12-08-2006, 07:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey i pmd ya
Old 12-08-2006, 07:59 AM

i have a huge resonator, i dunno if its the exhaust leaks, but wawah wee wah its loud, even with a chambered muffler like a magna flow, i would have to scream to my girlfriend just to say "take off yo pants" and she would interpret it as "my cars not fast" and say "I know"

this is why i do not like loud exhausts, you could be getting ready to go to work in the morning, tell your buddys something like "hey....ill call you, later" and they might catch it as "Hey, im gonna kill you, later" and next thing u know your lying on the ground with your nuts caved in. not fun, and yes My girlfriend still holds it against me because driving to the mall, i said "do you want to get something to eat or no" but she heard "did you know that I cheat or no?" because the loud *** exhaust,.

I also feel that i am going much faster when the exhaust is quiet, because when you look at the road, and it sounds like an aircraft engine in your ear, but more like a john deer aircraft engine, your say "what the hell why arent i moving, from the sounds of things i should be traveling so effing fast"

this is why the OEM cat is usefull and the flow hardly effected because its a honeycomb style, doesnt have to route airflow as much like a Curve in the metal or huge solid obstruction.

My car feels like a $50 oldsmobile, all because the ******* exhaust, if it wasnt for that, I was pick up more chicks, and feel better about myself and achivements, for .05 HP its definatly THE worst mod out there.

Oh and to seriously answer the question...when i smashed out my OEM cat, not all of the honecomb would come out, there was still some residue on the walls of the cat...i noticed this created some really raspy ****. If your gonna do it, go with a ebay resonator bold on for 20 bucks, or get the Car sound magnaflow highflow cat for $106, right now im catless but am saving up big time and cat wait to get a cat again, just because the power differences are 0, and the sound is just that bad, you may like it for a few months but seriously, drive behind somebody who daily drives a car without a cat, its almost appauling how nasty it sounds....it proves that the honda rasp, is truely infamously bad.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sleeper101)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleeper101 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Unless,

You have another good cat ( for emission test), go ahead drill it.

It would be a good "sleeper" car, in case you got pulled over by a nerdy cop who's gonna crawl / look under your car, see if your car is 100% Legal or not ( you know what it means) </TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL this would never EVER - EVER - happen in arizona. They don't even care if im swapped engine and did not even check for my cat visually.

------

Thats a funny story youngkadifi. Yes, my john deer civic is quite the tracker sounding car below vtec. It sucks ***** how loud it is straight downpipe. But its sick when im screamin in vtec.

Well anyway, my car is a lot faster straight downpipe, i dunno if thats cuz my cat was clogged, or if my 2" pipeing is just that restrictive. So im gonna buy a test pipe, and if its not worth it, slam the stock cat back on.

My car doesnt sound very raspy because it has a 15" resonator already on it. But even straight downpipe, it just trackery, not raspy.

Well im puting the stock cat back on in the mean time cuz i haad enough screamin loud just to talk to my passenger 1 feet away.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:39 AM

hell yes, glad you said it, i thought it was ok for a while, but im begging people on H-T for a cheap OEM cat
Old 12-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I gutted mine on my probe, just used a flathead screw driver with a long end and just kept punching it all out...