Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

drawbacks to keeping vtec cam ingauged all the time?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drawbacks to keeping vtec cam ingauged all the time?

as stated........i really don't feel like buying a vtec controller so i was just going to wire it on at all times. I have a zdyne ecu so i can compensate for fuel. how high would you guys rev on stock springs? its a d16y8 with forged internals and 12.4:1 cr. thanks, its so exciting to be n/a again. too much headache with turbo setup
Old 03-10-2004, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: drawbacks to keeping vtec cam ingauged all the time? (VTgringo)

i wouldnt keep VTEC on at all times...........unessecary wear on the engine. plus it is a y8
Old 03-10-2004, 07:57 PM

Default Re: drawbacks to keeping vtec cam ingauged all the time? (blackhatchy)

haha vtec all the time would be ****** stupid...I can't really say why cause I dno't remember but it's something to do with vtec is set at a certain point from the factory to make the best power or what not on stock cams..I don't know. If I were you, just get the cam for your SOHC, don't be a ***** ang get a VAFC and get that bitch tuned!!
Old 03-10-2004, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you'll waste all ur gas and you'll kill your engine. Dont you ever wonder why honda made the engine engage at a certain RPM? Hm!!!!!!!!!!!

Most of the honda vtec engine already come with it TUNED at the right RPM engagement. If you dont have a dyno to tune it dont ***** around with it because its only going to go against you.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:10 PM

Default Re: (B16Drag)

you guys make good points but i'm not after gas milage. every dyno chart i've ever seen from a y8 shows the lower cam making more power until around 4400 and then the high cam makes more power (this as seen when both cams are run independently) however i have never seen any results that have tuned the higher cam in the lower rpm range. i think we would be suprised at what we see.

I appreciate the feed back
Old 03-10-2004, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VTgringo)

it will screw your engine.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:33 PM

well, i'm not sure about reliability but as far as numbers are concerned running the high lobe would be much better. here are some numbers for you guys.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=481582

very interesting.......so do you guys that were bashing me earlier want to counter this argument?
Old 03-10-2004, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How do you get "much" better?, those numbers are practically equal until you get to 4400. So in essence you wouldnt gain any power down low, because vtec is designed to make power UP TOP, AND youd be killing your low rpm gas mileage AND damaging your motor. You are not the first one to think of this.
Old 03-10-2004, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: drawbacks to keeping vtec cam ingauged all the time? (sickSOLvtec)

the dyno graph showed that with the low cam it los hp in the low rpm's ...How is that good? why mess with the engine unless u got a cam or some major mod dont mess with it since honda spent a lot of time researching the best crossover point..COMMON SENCE..
Old 03-10-2004, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: drawbacks to keeping vtec cam ingauged all the time? (miguel6632)

"With add on VTEC controllers, the camshaft is forced to switch while running on the wrong fueling and ignition tables. This can cause fuel to be as far as 10% out and ignition to be retarded up to 6 degrees. Some VTEC controllers allow a coarse correction for fuelling, none allow correction for ignition advance."

Hondata.com

Old 03-10-2004, 09:31 PM

why don't you just get a stock obd0 ecu and run TurboEdit. helluva lot cheaper than an add on vtec controller, or adding vtec to zdyne.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:53 AM

Default Re: drawbacks to keeping vtec cam ingauged all the time? (willahlborn)

i appreciate everyone's replies. and i don't think i will be doing this. however, i might hotwire vtec for the strip only. of course i would throw in a new program that would compensate for fuel and timing (i'm running a zdyne ecu).

i'm convinced that running vtec all the time will proabably do more harm than good.

to counter, i have heard that you can weld the vtec rockers to be "on" all the time. also you can take out the low lobe rockers and grind off the low lobes to save weight because rotating inertia can make a difference too.
Old 03-11-2004, 06:07 AM

Wow... talk about reinventing the wheel

Changing vtec engagement point and adjusting air/fuel to compensate for the earlier engagement is all good if your tuning properly but to have vtec on all the time seems down right ridiculous
Old 03-11-2004, 06:39 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: drawbacks to keeping vtec cam ingauged all the time? (h22avid)

i didn't think you COULD have vtec engaged all the time? I thought that even though at the preset rpm the ecu sends the signal to the solenoid but it still cant activate without enough oil pressure??

i doubt that low end you'd have enough oil pressure to do anything
Old 03-11-2004, 07:25 AM

you will loose your bottom end power as shown with that graph, it won't hurt anything, just look at some vtec killer dohc cams, nothing on the bottom but you can rev them to the freakin moon
Old 03-11-2004, 07:30 AM

Default Re: drawbacks to keeping vtec cam ingauged all the time? (stackz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stackz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i didn't think you COULD have vtec engaged all the time? I thought that even though at the preset rpm the ecu sends the signal to the solenoid but it still cant activate without enough oil pressure??

i doubt that low end you'd have enough oil pressure to do anything</TD></TR></TABLE>

If your motor is running and has oil in it, you have PLENTY of oil pressure. If not you're going to say bye bye to your bearings
Old 03-11-2004, 07:35 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: drawbacks to keeping vtec cam ingauged all the time? (Devine)

i thought the vtec solenoid needed 40psi of pressure to work properly, where as at idle you only have 20-30psi of pressure.
Old 03-11-2004, 07:51 AM

Default Re: drawbacks to keeping vtec cam ingauged all the time? (stackz)

Enough about how to have it engage at a lower RPM.
How do you turn off Vtec on a b18c5 w/LSd. I am dumping gas like a **** when i go out of town on a trip going at about 85 - 90 its engaging it. Would fields vtec controller let me shut it off? Just trying to figure out something to go agaisnt these ridiculous gas prices this summer 2 dollars a gallon and ummm thats only for regular unleaded.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old 03-11-2004, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (warwagon)

That is a horrible horrible idea. Even to just run it at the track. The reason for two different cam profiles on a single cam is to have both low end power and high end power. Your logic on running VTEC all the time is wrong. Besides that if you had your higher cam lob engaged all the time you wouldn't be using VTEC at all. You'd have a single, aggressive cam lob that you would be in all the time, which does not include any variable valve timing, only static valve timing on your higher profile cam lobe. Which, my good honda driving friend, is just plain dumb.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:18 AM

VTEC engaged all the time is pointless. You need a certain amount of oil pressure to run VTEC correctly and to have it engaged all the time is just gonna put crazy wear on your motor and your probably gonna end up blowing it. I wouldn't recommend people running VTEC earlier than 4,000 RPM's. Plus it just makes you slower anyway.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:39 AM

Default Re: (warwagon)

there wouldn't be enough oil pressure to have vtec engaged all the time. If you wanted that you could swap on a non-vtec head and run a performance cam.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

vtec all the time? thats about as cool as gohnaria on your birthday. I cant believe this guys still wants to have that for the track. Not in my book thats for sure.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:43 AM

Default Re: (CivicGSR225)

VTEC all the time = "Hey, has anyone seen my low-end?"

Not a good idea.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Low end would be shot to ****. Even though it's a SOHC VTEC, that thing would die down low.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wire it for the strip only? it will still suck. leave it be. find power elsewhere. like a better cam.

Quick Reply: drawbacks to keeping vtec cam ingauged all the time?