Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Drag racing Civic

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 04:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drag racing Civic

Hi all I'm new to your forum but was recommended to me by someone at home. Basically what i'm wanting to do is start drag racing and starting in the fwd class and seen as it's really big in America who better to ask. I'm thinking of using an EG civic 92-95 as the platform but am unsure on the engine. I'm almost positive that i'm going to go turbo so it's the best block to use really. Also traction is an issuse that i'm concearned with as most of the events here are for street cars thus having to use street tyres. If anyone has any experiance or knowledge on the subject I would be most appreciative of your help. Forgot to mention my budget is around £30k so roughly $50k.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:55 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Drag racing Civic (euphoric2)

Inlinepro, my local tuning spot says that they have their best results when they build motors to about 550whp. They say that when they go above that, traction problems outweigh the benefit of more whp.

But if you're on street tires there's no way you'd get traction with power like that, lol.

Is this really worth it?

Also, with that budget and if you want a drag racer, get some rwd car. You'll go much faster.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:10 AM
Mr. Fuch-yu

Default Re: Drag racing Civic (litterbox)

Andy... the quote in your sig is the best ever. European Dude, build a civic vx (i believe that it is the lightest), strip the interior to nothing but the essentials. Drop in either a K series or B series. With that budget however I would go b series due to how expensive K's still are. My $.02.

-Red
Old 12-02-2005, 05:13 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: Drag racing Civic (nitrared)

hahah i know. It was from the 'I just found out my gf cheated on me' thread and ppl were listing ways for revenge. lmao
Old 12-02-2005, 06:36 AM

Default Re: Drag racing Civic (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Inlinepro, my local tuning spot says that they have their best results when they build motors to about 550whp. They say that when they go above that, traction problems outweigh the benefit of more whp.

But if you're on street tires there's no way you'd get traction with power like that, lol.

Is this really worth it?

Also, with that budget and if you want a drag racer, get some rwd car. You'll go much faster.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by euphoric2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi all I'm new to your forum but was recommended to me by someone at home. Basically what i'm wanting to do is start drag racing and starting in the fwd class and seen as it's really big in America who better to ask. I'm thinking of using an EG civic 92-95 as the platform but am unsure on the engine. I'm almost positive that i'm going to go turbo so it's the best block to use really. Also traction is an issuse that i'm concearned with as most of the events here are for street cars thus having to use street tyres. If anyone has any experiance or knowledge on the subject I would be most appreciative of your help. Forgot to mention my budget is around £30k so roughly $50k.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd go with a B18B swap w/ a GSR tranny (do they come with LSD?). Then I would put in some time to do the reasearch on a turbo kit. Build your block/motor around where you want to make power and how much power you want to make.

Just spend a LOT of time on HT and read random threads that come up, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Search on topics you want to learn about. If you have a question chances are that someone else has asked that same question before. It's just a matter of finding it. That'll keep some of the guys from jumping down your throat.

-Nick
Old 12-02-2005, 06:45 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: Drag racing Civic (Everyones Hero)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

</TD></TR></TABLE>Kiss my ***
Old 12-02-2005, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

am i the only person who is thinknig that $50k is a **** load of money and he should definitely do a K swap
Old 12-02-2005, 06:53 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: (dogbiscuit)

Not rly. What we have here, is a dreamer.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:03 AM

Default Re: (litterbox)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Not rly. What we have here, is a dreamer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

A pipe dreamer?
Old 12-02-2005, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

will this be a track only car?
Old 12-02-2005, 07:26 AM
HT Order of Merit

Default Re: (BiG Chris)

A 92-95 Hatch is a good start. Where you go from there depends on what route you wanna take. All motor, turbo or whatever. If your just doing this for fun, get a OBD1 B18 non-vtec and get an LSD and turbo it. Theres your start.

If your trying to spend big money and simply be a drag only car and just go fast, then the sky is the limit i would imagine. K-series turbo is good. K-series NA is spectacular. The Eg (92-95 hatch) is a lightweight platform. You could always go with a CRX or a EF (88-91 Civic Hatch) which are a tad lighter. Either way, your gonna have traction issues. I agree with littebox. 550hp is a good top out mark. Unless you have a special way of gaining traction, go with RWD for real potential.

BTW i bet 50$ says this kid never returns to this thread, or the board for that matter.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM_Ej)

Old 12-02-2005, 07:29 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: (dohcVTECeg2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcVTECeg2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> </TD></TR></TABLE>You and your useless ******* posts.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:32 AM
HT Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You and your useless ******* posts. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Post *****!

I still bet 50$.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:33 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Ej &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Post *****!
</TD></TR></TABLE>Me or him?
Old 12-02-2005, 07:36 AM
HT Order of Merit

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Me or him?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Man not you, him.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:37 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by litterbox &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Me or him?</TD></TR></TABLE>

BOTH OF YOU! At least you put words into your posts.

You're the K series guy, right?
Old 12-02-2005, 07:38 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Ej &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Man not you, him.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Everyones Hero &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You're the K series guy, right?</TD></TR></TABLE>Yeah.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:39 AM

I just went to two other threads that I've been watching and that was his reply for both of them.

Maybe he lost all of his fingers and his tounge, so the only thing he can do is stick out his thumb.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:40 AM

thanks for your advise guys those of you that took me seriously that is. Pipe dreamer my ****. Anyway in response to the rwd comment I would go down that route or even 4wd but to be competative your talking 100k easy plus i've always wanted to do a serious honda
Old 12-02-2005, 07:41 AM

Oh by the way I think you owe me $50 JDM_Ej
Old 12-02-2005, 07:42 AM
I am a (Trial User) Army

Default Re: (euphoric2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by euphoric2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for your advise guys those of you that took me seriously that is. Pipe dreamer my ****. Anyway in response to the rwd comment I would go down that route or even 4wd but to be competative your talking 100k easy plus i've always wanted to do a serious honda</TD></TR></TABLE>Cool. Let us know what setup you decide to go with.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:44 AM
HT Order of Merit

**** i was wrong.

Anywho, base it on your budget. And do research. This site is full of information. That and google.
Old 12-02-2005, 08:17 AM

cheers guys will let you know on my progress. By the way what sort of drag times do you get out there with FWD cars?
Old 12-02-2005, 08:25 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by euphoric2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">cheers guys will let you know on my progress. By the way what sort of drag times do you get out there with FWD cars?</TD></TR></TABLE>

There are guys sub 10, but not on street tires. I think on street tires you'll be lucky to make it to the 12s no matter how much power you're making.

You could always spray simple green on your front tires before you race, but that might be considered cheating.

Quick Reply: Drag racing Civic