Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

DPFI to MPFI Conversion, new problem, I searched

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DPFI to MPFI Conversion, new problem, I searched

I converted an OBD0 Dual Point Fuel Injection (DPFI) civic to a 92-00 civic Multi-Point Fule Injection (MPFI). I replaced the ECU with a P28. The problem that I'm having is that only cylinders 1 and 2 are working. I'm getting spark to cylynders 3 and 4, but I discovered that I'm only getting voltage to injectors 1 and 2, checking from the ECU injector pins, and the only ones with clicking noise. These two pins used to provide power to the auxillary injector on the old DPFI (DPFI only hasd two injectors, main and auxillary). I checked the wires between the ECU and the injectors and they are fine. I checked the injectors themselves according to the factory manual (resistance between terminal between 10-13 ohms), and they are fine.

I used an old write up to do this conversion, and I'm not sure if it is still accurate for this type of conversion. The write up instructed to use a resistor from old Hondas/Acuras between the battery power side of the injector and the main relay. When looking at a wiring diagram from a 92-95 civic, it doesn't show any type of resistor. Could this be what's causing cylinders 4 and 3 not to work? If it is, I can't seem to make sense of it since I'm using a P28 ECU, and it operates all 4 injectors identically. How can it make two work and not the other two?

I'm stumped on this, been dwelling with it for a few hours now. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Re: DPFI to MPFI Conversion, new problem, I searched (2point3h22lude)

I'm suspecting it to be the fuel injectors now. Does anyone knows how to make sure tha the fuel injector is working right, other than checking to see if the resistance accross the connectors are within tolerance (10-13 ohms)?
Old 09-06-2005, 11:06 AM

Bumping since there have been so much posting, please feel free to voice any ideas.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I did this in my old EF and let me tell you, recheck and triple check your wiring. Possibly your 2 extra injector wires (wired straight to ECU) are wired incorrectly. IF you are using a resistor box, then you might not be getting a signal from the box. I also ran on 2 cylinders but had another problem (firing order ) Specially with wiring, take your time and recheck it. I would have ran it as a MPFI OBD-0 setup like I had it, and then worry about converting it to OBD-1. But to each its own
Old 09-06-2005, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you running a conversion harness for the p28?? did you rewire to obd1 completely?? using a injector resistor box??
Old 09-06-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: DPFI to MPFI Conversion, new problem, I searched (fast88std)

OK, I was on my second night of diagnosing this problem, and I was about to give up and just wait for the injectors that I ordered, then I got an idea of switching the injectors that are not working with the ones that are just to confirm my theory, and so the one that was working on a different spot, stopped working, which tells me it is not the injector. Then something came to me as I was wiggling the connectors yesterday, one all of the sudden it stopped working, but when I wiggled and pressed hard on the connector, it started to work again. So I said, maybe I'm overlooking the connectors since these injectors looked like they've been sitting on the ground for years when I got them. So I looked inside the two prongs and they looked a little bit bent back, not straight up and down, so I straighten them up, plugged the connnector back in, and low and behold, the freakin injectors started working. Halleluiah!!!

I've spent 4 days in this conversion and to see everything fall in place is such a relief. I've posted pics below as a preview. I hope they'll come out good since I've never posted a pic before.

This is the before pic
[IMG][/IMG]

And this is the after I got serious picture. I'll post more on a different thread just to gloat a little bit

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 09-06-2005, 02:38 PM

Well, I guess you just can't cut and paste the dang pics, how do you attach a pic on a message?