Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Downsides of swaping engines in your hatch

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Downsides of swaping engines in your hatch

Hey, im interested in a new ride, and im kind of interested in getting a hatch. Mainly because of the ease of customizations that i can do myself. But, are there any huge downsides to making a hatch fast (rattle? etc). Thanks

*just to give a little bit of info about myself, my first sporty car was an evo 9, it was fun for a while, but it was too expensive so i sold it, got myself about 3/4 of the money back, and now im using most of it for a computer repair business, so before you guesstimate that im somebodies rich son guess again. spork motorsports, people like you **** me off.

I wouldnt mind doing most of the work myself, i kind of want to get some more hands on experience, i learn best that way. Im looking at a 97 EK hatch i think a grandma owned it for like 3k. sound worth wild?

Modified by aimbot at 10:05 AM 4/11/2007

Modified by aimbot at 10:12 AM 4/11/2007
Old 04-10-2007, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Downsides of swaping engines in your hatch (aimbot)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aimbot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey, im interested in a new ride, and im kind of interested in getting a hatch. Mainly because of the ease of customizations that i can do myself. But, are there any huge downsides to making a hatch fast (rattle? etc). Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

cops
Old 04-11-2007, 01:41 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: Downsides of swaping engines in your hatch (preludedriva)

give up jhave mommy and daddy buy u a bimmer, why? becuase if your concerned about a rattleing bolt in a hatch your prolly going to hate a blow off valve everytime you shift, hate the sound of an exhuast, or hate the fact that you cant use your trunk becuase there is a nitrous bottle back there, without any of those things youll be running 16's in the 1/8th like half of ht is
Old 04-11-2007, 01:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed ES torque mount bushings in my bone stock 97 dx coupe and the dash rattles near the glove box. You get used to it, hehe. I love a/c though so I wont do anything more to it.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

don't but 7-15 year old car and expect it to not rattle, my car rattled before i swapped in the new motor

it occasionally makes weird pulsing noises too.

and it shimmies.

its possibly haunted.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:58 AM

Default Re: (instrument)

I have a '93 Del Sol with a built B20/vtec setup, and I have none of these problems. The car runs great, doesn't leak, nothing rattles, drives like stock, just has more power... The only thing I dont like about the car is the suspention. Its getting old and its starting to suck.

Anyways, if you want your car to ride nicely take your time doing things, and before you mod anything, or swap a motor, fix what's already there. When I first gt my car, it was a complete peice. The inner and outter tie rods were shot, all the wheel bearings rattled, brakes sucked. There really wasn't too much good about the car, but with work, things have gotten much much better.

Take your time, do things right, dont rush things. You'll be fine.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:36 AM

like someone mentioned earlier, if your worried about a little rattle, then tuning your engine will be a bit more disturbing. More horses = more noise. Im stationed in germany and when i hit the autobahn, i can't even hear my radio over the exhaust. But the biggest downside to doing anything to your car is the money it cost. I don't even like thinking about all the dollars i spent on car parts in the past few years. I think what i regret the most though was chuckin' out my AC.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can start from the ground up and go with it but you are still going to have the hidden rattles and such that you can't get around. My car was built by me from a bare frame and the dash has a hidden rattle at idle now and then and the exhuast rattles a bit now and then. These things just can't be helped with solid motor mounts and big exhausts.

But if built right, those will be your only concerns. I can park mine on a white sheet and leave it for a night and the sheet will still be white in the morning. Not a leak on the car. Just a little vibration now and then.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by aimbot &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">are there any huge downsides to making a hatch fast </TD></TR></TABLE>

YES! F*CKING THIEVES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 07:59 AM

Default Re: (instrument)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by instrument &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

its possibly haunted.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah mine to!
Old 04-11-2007, 08:26 AM

Default Re: Downsides of swaping engines in your hatch (capitol J)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by capitol J &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">But the biggest downside to doing anything to your car is the money it cost. I don't even like thinking about all the dollars i spent on car parts in the past few years. I think what i regret the most though was chuckin' out my AC.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed 100%
Old 04-11-2007, 08:55 AM

Default Re: (Jay_Sensing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jay_Sensing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can start from the ground up and go with it but you are still going to have the hidden rattles and such that you can't get around. My car was built by me from a bare frame and the dash has a hidden rattle at idle now and then and the exhuast rattles a bit now and then. These things just can't be helped with solid motor mounts and big exhausts.

But if built right, those will be your only concerns. I can park mine on a white sheet and leave it for a night and the sheet will still be white in the morning. Not a leak on the car. Just a little vibration now and then.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, and like you said, yours is a built motor. He doesnt want a built motor, he just wants a swap. If you have a fully built motor, the you should expect some vibration ect. If its just a GSR swap or something simular, then you dont have to worry that. Theres no reason a stock motor such as a b18 shouldnt be able to go into a civic without running an driving like normal (rattling ect.).

Is your car a race car? I noticed you said solid mounts. Those are 100% impractical for street cars. Just hard mounts (hasport) makes the car vibrate a lot.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:23 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: (93eg2james)

yea dood, modding honda's are expensive, annoying, and 97% of the kids that do it fail... and end up building a shitbox. I would just leave it stock..

Old 04-11-2007, 11:46 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: (GarageAlchemist)

^ correct a small percent can do it right, thats why everyone looks at us like were all ******* morons,

just go to that thread about some guy that has a gsr and is getting smoked by single cams in the 1/8th a 3500 swap and he cant beat a stock sedan,

10 seconds in the 1/8 mile smokes him he is running 12 in a hatch!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93eg2james)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93eg2james &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Is your car a race car? I noticed you said solid mounts. Those are 100% impractical for street cars. Just hard mounts (hasport) makes the car vibrate a lot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes it is, it's more of a small endeavor with a couple of friends but it's all the car is used for. Streetable enough to get inspected by a eyesite impaired tech to be driven to and from the track.

But, if you use any type of performance mount, the car will vibrate somewhat, it's just the nature of the beast.

I have used Avid and both street and strip hasports. They all vibrate somewhat. It's just something you have to deal with if you want 7500 rpm launches on slicks without your VC smashing your hood

I know he is not looking for that at all, I was just using it as an example that a performance mount will vibrate somewhat where as a stock will be smooth, but wheel hopping hard launches will break the drivers side top and make it worse.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (spork motorsports)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by spork motorsports &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^ correct a small percent can do it right, thats why everyone looks at us like were all ******* morons,

just go to that thread about some guy that has a gsr and is getting smoked by single cams in the 1/8th a 3500 swap and he cant beat a stock sedan,

10 seconds in the 1/8 mile smokes him he is running 12 in a hatch!!!!!!!!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>
dude what thread is that i wanna see!?
Old 04-12-2007, 02:18 PM
* B A N N E D *

I ran solid fiberglass-filled mounts for thousands of miles, talk about throttle response.

engine swapping is worth it in the end if you're smart. if you're dumb you'll do it anyway so lets all just encourage.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The only downside is that you'll want to race every **** you see on the streets. Then when a cop pulls you over, you'll be like "WTH did I do that?" Then the next day you'll do it again...
Old 04-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (EGmikeH22)

I had a 99 ek hatch with a B16A2 and some other mods. It was lowered with 5 lug etc etc etc. Never rattled. The car went from stock to all the mods i did in like 7 months lol. Your "gramma car" probably wont rattle either. Hondas have exceptional fit and finish. Cars rattle because people put in polyurethane mounts on street cars. I dont know why...maybe they like the back massage they get. I used as many OEM parts as i could so it would work like stock and have stock like reliablity and a stock "feel" to it as far as quality of workmanship and that stuff goes. That car was buttery smooth, and it ran 14.0s. Got 30+mpg even if i beat on it, and had A/C and PS. I shouldnt have sold it lol. anyway...you just have to do the right mods and not go overboard. I chose good spring rates that were not only comfortable as far as ride, but could tear up tracks like no other. I beat up on a lot of "faster" cars as far as handling and road racing goes.

Just remember to keep it a STREET CAR. not a "race car for the street" or some other homo-erotic phrase ricers use. It's either a street car or a race car. Race cars drive like **** on the street, which is where you will probably use it 95% or more of the time.

I wanted comfort, with features like A/C and P/S and power locks, windows, mirrors. I wanted to have fun and not spend a lot (it was my DD, after all ...I had another out of control project car) so i got a B16. I got most of the power parts for free or close to free. I got the 5 lug and wheels, Si cluster, CTR shift boot, carbing cooling plate, etc, etc for $300 (that was an awesome day), a QUIET exhaust, intake, header...whatever...all that stuff to keep the car moving. I loved it because i could roll around drinking my slushie in A/C comfort while fools that took their A/C out were sweating ***** next to me, turn my steering wheel with ease to parrallel park, handle like crazy, but not spill my slushie over bumps. lol...again i should have never sold it. But i have a stock GSR and a modded S2000 now. Speaking of which...why dont you just buy an S2000?? that'd be the best solution to your problems. It was the best solution to all of my life's problems lol. Now im young, rich, good looking, my GF could be a supermodel...It's good to be me.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:16 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (GarageAlchemist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GarageAlchemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea dood, modding honda's are expensive, annoying, and 97% of the kids that do it fail... and end up building a shitbox. I would just leave it stock..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

modding a honda is expensive?!! Ever modded anything else? I had a 240sx with an SR20. I've owned an EF, EG, and EK. They all had motor swaps and suspension work and other work. I was able to build those cars on the side WHILE building my 240sx. Modding a honda is CHEAP.