Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

downs of not running a cat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default downs of not running a cat?

jdm b18c-r swap in EG with skunk 2 full cat back system.....im installing this weekend and want to forget the cat and run straight pipe.....any downsides to this....will i loose power? i know smog will be an issue but i have that locked...thanx
Old 03-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: downs of not running a cat? (HUBB)

Um its illegal?
Old 03-03-2004, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: downs of not running a cat? (BauleyCivic)

i know im gonna have to be careful
Old 03-03-2004, 11:23 AM

You wont lose any power but it might smell a little bad sometimes. i say if you dont have to run a cat dont. I dont have emmisions were i live so why have a horsepower robbing cat.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:24 AM

supposedly you get better air flow and a slight bit of power. Just makes more noise if you ask me.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: downs of not running a cat? (sheemo3)

thats what i was thinkin.......im just thinkin that the skunk system is already loud with a cat....so without a cat itll be REALLY loud
Old 03-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do the smell **** when driving?
Old 03-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a 94 lx with zc, and ran w\o a cat, (test pipe) and it was awesome, very noticeable gains, it just depends where your at if its illegal, i live in idaho and its not illegal if your car is more than 10 years old.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: downs of not running a cat? (a1320honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by a1320honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">, i live in idaho and its not illegal if your car is more than 10 years old.</TD></TR></TABLE>

AFAIK, if the vehicle was originally equiped with a catalytic converter, it is a violation of Federal law to remove or alter it. The fine is somewhere around 2 or 3 grand I think.

Whatever, make sure you aren't just running open loop all the time if you you are missing the secondary O2 sensor (if applicable in your set up).
Old 03-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: downs of not running a cat? (Perfectionist)

im sorry, i guess i worded that wrong, i know its illegal, but if the car is 10 years old or older, in idaho, you do not have to get emissions inspected ever again, and cops around here arent very smart when it come to checking for stuff like that. so i was just speking of my experiences.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:48 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HUBB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do the smell **** when driving? </TD></TR></TABLE>

that all depends on how rick you are running. I've driven in cars with a great tune and never smelled anything and I've driven in cars with a shitty tune and you smelled like half burnt ******* when you got out.

take it off and try it for a week or two and see how bad it is. then put it back on if your eyes start burning too badly
Old 03-03-2004, 11:48 AM

I have a B18C-R in my hatch, and I took out my cat... Honestly I love my set up. I have an Apex-i WS. Before I took out my cat it sounded quiet, but after I took it out I just loved the change in sound. It's still not loud by any means during normal driving, but once I hit vtec it just sound INCREDIBLE. It has a really deep sound to it. On the other hand I've been told by some people that my car sound like a bike, lol. I don't know how it would sound with a louder exhuast like yours though...I can guess it'll sound really viscious at WOT and during vtec though. However I'd also guess that it would be really loud especially on the highway due to the extra short gears of the JDM R tranny.

Powerwise, I can definitely notice a huge difference when I hit vtec...but dont expect anything under 3K....my car doesnt go anywhere until like 3.5-4K. I cruise around 3K anyways so it doesnt really bother me while driving. Moving through traffic shouldn't be a problem by any means as long as you keep your rpms at 2.5K or higher.

The smell is only an issue if you're going to be sitting around the car while idling. If you're inside the car, even with the windows rolled down, you shouldn't have any complaints. If you're parked next to someone, they'll definitely have lots of complaints though, lol. It's funny if a friend of yours is following you...just make sure to tell them to close their vents.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: downs of not running a cat? (BNavZ)

Ok so you might not have to worry about smog rules in your area but you also have to think about the attention from the police because you have a loud car. Cops tend to target modified cars anyway so it's running a bigger risk. I say just get a high flow cat. It's been test proven to run almost as well as a test pipe. AND it's smog legal!
Old 03-03-2004, 12:00 PM
foz

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Perfectionist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

AFAIK, if the vehicle was originally equiped with a catalytic converter, it is a violation of Federal law to remove or alter it. The fine is somewhere around 2 or 3 grand I think.

).</TD></TR></TABLE>
I've heard this before, but I would have to see it somewhere to believe it, I run wihtout a cat - and have never had a problem with any law figure, also who would enforce this if it was a federal law? I know my local and PA state wouldn't give me a ticket for it, and as long as I stay emissions exempt then only my mechanic and myself know that it is cat free......

the car is OBDII (soon to convert to OBDI) and I left the secondary O2 in and no check engine light however it runs a little rich
Old 03-03-2004, 12:00 PM

Default Re: downs of not running a cat? (BNavZ)

For N/A application, hi-flow cat does just the same as test pipe, only it's quieter, doesn't smell, and is legal.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if he has a skunk2 exhaust, then the car is already loud. i know this from experience
Old 03-03-2004, 12:09 PM

Default Re: downs of not running a cat? (laz74)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by laz74 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">For N/A application, hi-flow cat does just the same as test pipe, only it's quieter, doesn't smell, and is legal.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yup its not that much different. check this dyno from team-integra.

Comparing a 2.5 in. testpipe (RED) to a 2.5 in. Carsound cat (BLUE) in the same ITR ( 1.8L B18C5 ) with a CAI, Toda B cams, an SMSP 4-2-1 long hybrid header (2.5 in. OD collector), and SMSP 2.5 in. OD exhaust, Apex Power FC fuel tuning:

Old 03-03-2004, 12:09 PM

Ive been running a Test pipe for awille , no complaints. We dont have emissions here so its not a big deal. only thing with that is i have no secondary o2 so it throws a cell. But easly fixed with my EMS
Old 03-03-2004, 12:16 PM

It's a cheap mod.

Hardly noticeable in high mileage N/A car but very noticable in a FI car.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:22 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: downs of not running a cat? (zad5)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zad5 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yup its not that much different. check this dyno from team-integra.

Comparing a 2.5 in. testpipe (RED) to a 2.5 in. Carsound cat (BLUE) in the same ITR ( 1.8L B18C5 ) with a CAI, Toda B cams, an SMSP 4-2-1 long hybrid header (2.5 in. OD collector), and SMSP 2.5 in. OD exhaust, Apex Power FC fuel tuning:

</TD></TR></TABLE>

So you gain 1.5whp at the expense of 1.8wtq? **** that. No thanks. You need as much torque as you can possibly muster if you're trying to build a performance Honda.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:44 PM

Most hondas without a cat sound like ***, unless u put a resonator on it.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:58 PM

Default Re: (j-bird)

If you are going to run without a cat, then get a hollow cat or make your own. What I hear is if your catalytic converter goes bad, then you will smell rotten eggs. If you plan on taking your car to the track, I don't think you want to sacrifice any lbs of torque. That's crap how people say they feel more power. It's just the car vibrating more. Thanks to zad5, statistics proven the "no cat = a lot more power" people wrong.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:58 PM

just gut your cat the pigs wont be able to tell its hollowed out.my 2 cents
Old 03-03-2004, 01:02 PM

at idel at a stop light with windows down i can smell it
Old 03-03-2004, 01:14 PM
New User

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HUBB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do the smell **** when driving? </TD></TR></TABLE>

the smell of gas when you step out of your car.
and always smelling that way wherever you go

Quick Reply: downs of not running a cat?