Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Down Shifting into 3rd...

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 03:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Down Shifting into 3rd...

Someone asked me why when they down shift into 3rd around 70-80 mph why they hear a screech like sound. Now I know doing those speeds in 3rd gear probably isn't the smartest thing in the world, or at least not down shifting into it. I myself am guilty of doing it before, but in any case I was just curious to know if anyone might have an idea of what the sound could be from, anyone else ever heard such a thing (I have never heard it), is it 'normal'? Just curious, Thanks.
Old 03-09-2004, 03:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Down Shifting into 3rd... (JdmEGHatch6)

that screeching sound is probably your tires trying to slow you down, but are skidding....
Old 03-09-2004, 03:52 AM

I hear my belts slipping a but, definately not the tires when I do it.
Old 03-09-2004, 04:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Down Shifting into 3rd... (civic-4-ges)

oh yeah it could be the belts too.... I just know that if i'm down shifting and i'm going pretty fast the tires will actually screetch.... but yeah it could be the belts they'll make a squeeling sound...
Old 03-09-2004, 04:14 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Down Shifting into 3rd... (CRUISIN' TOPLESS)

downshifting to 3rd at 70mph? heh, that tranny wont last long...

anyway, if you downshift and dont rev-match the engine while the clutch is depressed then your drivetrain is going to attempt to match the crankshaft speed with the input shaft speed when you let out on the clutch.

@70mph for me that's going from 4,000rpm to about 6,500rpm+ which is gonna jerk both the engine and tranny quite nicely.

your tires with scratch real quick from this. I have never had any reason to even think about trying to hit 3rd at that speed though. If you can't pass the car in 4th at that speed there's no use in abusing the drivetrain anymore
Old 03-09-2004, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Down Shifting into 3rd... (stackz)

interesting... been doing it for a couple years now, tranny is still strong

I generally downshift into 3rd from 80....no jerking, the transition is rather smooth
Old 03-09-2004, 04:54 AM
at the jetties fishin'

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic-4-ges &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">interesting... been doing it for a couple years now, tranny is still strong

I generally downshift into 3rd from 80....no jerking, the transition is rather smooth</TD></TR></TABLE>

some people dont have problems, some do. I've been boosting my greddy kit at 9psi with a blue box daily for the past year when people continually tell me that my engine should have gone boom after the first month of doing that. We've both been probably living off borrowed time but it doesn't bother me hehe.

I'm just saying that is what is normally happening when people downshift into such a low gear at such a high speed is all. And that doesn't pertain to people who rev-match, slip-shift, slowing down, etc etc.

mainly it's for the guy who's gunning it in 4th and tosses it in 3rd to get up in the rpm band quicker and and presses the gas pedal either too much or too little so it shocks the drivetrain.

Best thing I can think of is say if you're driving around town and slowing down in traffic and go into 1st from 2nd a little too soon and the car lurches forward and you here the wheels bark real quick and get all embarressed.

same thing as the 70mph 3rd gear bark only...well, you can see which would do more damage faster.
Old 03-09-2004, 05:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I thought it might of been the belts, well I'll let him know that its more then likely that, and if he wants his 00 EX to last to lay off doing this for on now. Thanks.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:07 AM

Isn't this what kills the transmission is RSX's?
Old 03-09-2004, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Dimi)

there really isn't any need to go into 3rd from 70 or 80 anyways unless you're racing... just don't do it...
Old 03-09-2004, 06:42 AM

that noise is prolly u hittin redline and them cams are twurkin lol and your tranny is bangin nah meen.
Old 03-09-2004, 06:45 AM

Default Re: (SpoolinEK9)

Hmm.... Not hitting redline when I downshift
Old 03-09-2004, 07:16 AM

Default Re: (civic-4-ges)

3rd gear drops aren't bad if you know how to drive. In this case the person doesn't know how to drive. My guess for the "screech" is either the belts or him not using the clutch that well! Tell him to learn how to drive either way!
Old 03-09-2004, 07:29 AM

Default Re: (dainteg)

Considering my 2nd gear takes me to about 60mph, I've never had a problem downshifting to 3rd when I'm already going 65-70. I just go to 4th if I'm going any faster than that though.

You just have to be smooth when you let the clutch out, I guess kinda feather it and feel rpms rise, don't just slam it into gear and let the cluth out.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JdmEGHatch6)

i down shift into 3rd if im at 60-65 thats pretty much the highest il go. 70-80 sounds retarded.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:34 AM

Default Re: (elevatethis)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by elevatethis &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> don't just slam it into gear and let the cluth out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's what I do and my clutch and tranny are just fine. As long as you know what your doing and the Gas/Clutch motion is down to a science.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:04 AM

Default Re: (SwampThing)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SwampThing &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">70-80 sounds retarded.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Guess im retarded

BTW D16Y7 with long gears
Old 03-09-2004, 09:12 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stackz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
I'm just saying that is what is normally happening when people downshift into such a low gear at such a high speed is all. And that doesn't pertain to people who rev-match, slip-shift, slowing down, etc etc.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

what is slip shifting - never heard that term...

Old 03-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic-4-ges &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I hear my belts slipping a but, definately not the tires when I do it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you are correct. HEY i was born in Lewiston Maine w-e-i-r-d
Old 03-09-2004, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Down Shifting into 3rd... (slowdx9585)

i can drive and my belts still squeek a lil bit, oh and and my 3rd gear can hit 93 without a problem so 70-80 aint' that bad
Old 03-09-2004, 11:07 AM

Default Re: Down Shifting into 3rd... (Grimm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Grimm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

what is slip shifting - never heard that term...

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Slip shifting is something that drifter use where one foot is on the clutch at all time and the other is on the gas at all times. the reason they call it "slip shifting" is because of the foot technique that they use in order to get the right clutch and gas ratio. Its like a balance beam effect....As on side goes down the other goes up and you guessed it......they slide there feet around different points of the pedal to get the right pressure. It's just something that they use so that they always have control when going into a drift. Not sure what it has to do with 3rd gear drops tho. Just jam the f'cker into gear and go.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Down Shifting into 3rd... (dainteg)

try double clutching and tell us what you observe hehe goodluck
Old 03-09-2004, 11:27 AM
at the jetties fishin'

Default Re: Down Shifting into 3rd... (dainteg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dainteg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Not sure what it has to do with 3rd gear drops tho. Just jam the f'cker into gear and go. </TD></TR></TABLE>

heh, didn't say it had anything to do with dropping in the gears at all, i just tossed it in there because I've seen guys doing this during drifting and not do it right and accidently disengage the clutch while still feathering the gas....causing the rpm's to shoot up, then their "oh ****! o-meter" kicks in and they pop the clutch while basically redlined and the car makes that good ole tranny jolt mambo since they were still in the gear. Needless to say they lost the drift each time and did some really nice fish tailing

same thing that happens when you downshift only it's in the middle of a turn with the wheels broke loose

Old 03-09-2004, 11:35 AM

stackz-gottcha, just though i'd tell everyone what slip shifting was, not trying to be an *** or anything.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nd8ch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try double clutching and tell us what you observe hehe goodluck </TD></TR></TABLE>

What is double clutching other than a quote from "The Fast and the Furious"
Old 03-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Down Shifting into 3rd... (slowdx9585)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowdx9585 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i can drive and my belts still squeek a lil bit, oh and and my 3rd gear can hit 93 without a problem so 70-80 aint' that bad </TD></TR></TABLE> i can get up there in 3rd too but we're talking about DOWN SHIFTING into 3rd not the top speed you can reach in third.

Quick Reply: Down Shifting into 3rd...