Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

double pump to get into 5th gear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default double pump to get into 5th gear?

about six months ago i had to replace my clutch because the spring on the clutch disck broke loose and started shooting around the transmission. so i replaced the clutch and the car drives fine except for a little hopping when i take off in first gear but i think thats the clutch slipping, and also whenever im trying to shift into fifth gear it grinds alot, but if i double pump the clutch then the car goes into fifth fine. what could it be?
Old 04-06-2005, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: double pump to get into 5th gear? (CrxEDguY)

Bleed your clutch. If your clutch is slipping already then somthings fucked.
Old 04-06-2005, 04:37 PM

Default Re: double pump to get into 5th gear? (Bond)

i already tried bleeding it and i did this numerous times so i dont know what it is.
i did get the flywheel resurfaced when i changed the clutch. can anyone help?
Old 04-06-2005, 04:40 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CrxEDguY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">about six months ago i had to replace my clutch because the spring on the clutch disck broke loose and started shooting around the transmission. so i replaced the clutch and the car drives fine except for a little hopping when i take off in first gear but i think thats the clutch slipping, and also whenever im trying to shift into fifth gear it grinds alot, but if i double pump the clutch then the car goes into fifth fine. what could it be?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, bleed them again. Make sure you have all the air out. If it still doesn't work, you can try replacing both your master and slave clutch solenoid. If the grinding still persists, then your synchro may be messed. Also, did you have the flywheel resurfaced before replacing the clutch? I had that same jump feeling on first after I forgot to have my flywheel resurfaced. I also had a piece of spring shoot around in my tranny before. During that time, I had to clutch so many times and even then the broken piece would get caught on parts of the clutch that I couldn't even get it into gear at all. GL!
Old 04-06-2005, 09:32 PM

Default Re: double pump to get into 5th gear? (MDJ IKNJ)

i already replaced the brake master cylinder and still the same so i dont know. what r the sumptoms of a bad syncro? where are the syncro's located in the tranny? i never dealt with syncros before, and yes i did get the flywheel resurfaced right before i put the clutch in, anyone with anymore input?
Old 04-07-2005, 07:30 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CrxEDguY &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i already replaced the brake master cylinder and still the same so i dont know. what r the sumptoms of a bad syncro? where are the syncro's located in the tranny? i never dealt with syncros before, and yes i did get the flywheel resurfaced right before i put the clutch in, anyone with anymore input?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, not the brake MC. I'm talking about the other one next to it. The clutch reservoir connects to a master solenoid that's connected to the firewall. The slave solenoid connects to the bell housing of the tranny. It's also the part that you normally bleed your clutch through. Check the piston-type things in there and see if they're ok.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: double pump to get into 5th gear? (MDJ IKNJ)

Hold up, all gears go in fine but 5th? Your synchros are going out, thats a good sign right there. If you have to double clutch thats the sign. Synchros take out the use of double clutching (although rev matching is good at times but thats another story). If your 5th is bad expect 3rd and soon 1st to go bad. Either rebuild or buy a new tranny. HINT: buying a new tranny more then likely will be cheaper.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: double pump to get into 5th gear? (Luserkid)

go get some gm synchromesh to hold you over til you have a permanent fix. Sounds like synchros to me too.
Old 04-07-2005, 12:40 PM

Default Re: double pump to get into 5th gear? (IHateJDM)

yeah i switched that one also, the clutch master cylinder and that slate on the tranny. so you guys say syncros, are they hard to replace? i never popped open a tranny before but i have an uncle that can switch them out for me. are the parts expensive or should i just get one at the junk yard.